The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Well, jkidd did pick up the Nutter, but the D&G were some Basic jeans, didn't look to be hardly any market for them. The other stuff was all kind of "hanger-on" brands - and Alexandre may be fancy with a royal warrant or whatnot, but it's for women's tailoring, after all, and I've never had any luck moving it so I don't pick it up anymore. Shame, because I've seen perhaps half a dozen things from that brand counting that shirt.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Do you have any examples of unlicensed YSL? Are the labels different? How can I tell the difference?

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Klobber posted some pictures in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

4. elev8rz

elev8rz Senior member

picked up a box of 24 of these at an estate sale for a buck. may not be worth flipping unless there's some freaky gucci fiend out there. i may either have to take up smoking or bust out the edible soy mood candles more often to make use of these.... yeeaa these are going to collect some dust.

[​IMG]

5. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

[​IMG] A Mackintosh in my size is definitely on my list of grail-ish finds. Good find! Definitely emphasize that it's a "Mackintosh for Bergdorf Goodman" That'll get the folks looking for current Mackintosh product, which is a huge thing in menswear right now, and those looking for more under the radar in-house products. You should see the prices on some of the most recent Mackintosh collaborations.

Here's a J Crew one, which would obviously be less at retail than a 2012 Bergdorf Goodman collaboration: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/jcrewingoodcompany/PRDOVR~98960/98960.jsp

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks, I will do a search.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Gotcha. I just get excited when I see supposedly quality brands with a word "small" next to them in this thread [​IMG]

8. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Like if you saw Faconnable shirt, "Small"? Or shoes, "Small"? man I gotta get around to posting my stuff up so I can regain some closet space. I suppose I'd first need a decent camera....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

9. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Since talk has turned to YSL, is this a good or a bad one? Made in France.

[​IMG]

I found this with two Armani collezoni suits (I could only find pants for one), size 38 Zanella pants, and a Hugo Boss from Barneys that looked rather nice with this label:

[​IMG]

I think I'll have to go back tomorrow to pick more of this stuff up

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Okay, someone tell me about Frye. After never having heard of it before I've now seen it 4 times in the last 2 days.

Okay, I know the silver "Dior" tag, but what does non-licensed YSL look like?

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Old suit, probably 1980's. If for you, then fine. If for flipping, I do not want to be the bearer of bad news.

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yes, staples have never been a problem for me unless leather is involved. Speaking of leather, I inquired today about SA's new policy of marking the prices of shoes on inner tongues, where the ink may, or may not, come out--I was fortunate, recently, with a smooth leather tongue and fingernail polish, but now the inked prices are appearing on suede and cloth and anything else from which shoe tongues can be made. I was told that customers had complained that they couldn't get the prices off the soles, where they obviously belong.

Arghh.

Went to the administrative office (the folks in the store, I've learned, have no power) and spoke with someone who said that he would pass my concern along. Explained to him that they should either write the price on the part of the sole that is in contact with the ground and the price will disappear after five minutes of walking or, if the sole is commando style and the price has to go just in front of the heel, to just put it there and tell any customers with concerns that the price comes right off with two swipes of fine-grit sandpaper (if on leather) or a few swipes of cotton ball dipped in fingernail polish if on rubber. He said he'll pass it along, and I hope so. I've found Church's and Aldens and AE and all other sorts of great shoes there, and this is killing me.

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Don't worry — I didn't buy it.

14. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

You should start a thread titled: Thrift Store Bragging Thread for People with Unreasonably High Expectations.
    Quote:

15. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Look: it is insanely unusual to find runway YSL or Dior in a thrift store. Of the hundreds of people who post in this thread, it's happened a couple of times. I've seen one piece of either in my life, and I've seen many pieces of Brioni, Kiton, Chester Barrie, Savile Row stuff, whatever.

What you see lots of is the licensed stuff, and the licensed stuff from the 60s through the 90s and early 2000s is crap. The only reason someone would buy it is for the brand name, thinking it was good, and buying based on name. Which is why they licensed the name, made a bunch of money, and almost ran their brands into the ground.

The odds of you spotting Dior Homme or YSL Rive Gauche in a thrift are one in a bajillion. So if you don't know the difference, it's safe to assume that if you see YSL or Dior, it's crap. Stuff from Macy's and JC Penney's in the 70s and 80s. Not something worth buying used at thrift store prices, much less bragging about.

The one Rive Gauche coat I found, which was from the Tom Ford era, was stunning. It was very, very obviously not licensed junk. It was clear. It was too small for me, but it went for a few hundred dollars on eBay.

Frankly, I think there are a lot of folks in this thread who could really up their thrifting game by focusing on identifying quality and wearability rather than reading brand labels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.