The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

[​IMG]

2. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Speaking of Zanella, I found these today. SZ 35/32 Pretty cool Houndstooth with blue window pane. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Strange; I think I've found Oxxford three times in Albuquerque in only 6 months or so, and I don't go that often.

4. JChance

JChance Senior member

Quick question: Is excellent condition John W. Nordstrom pants made with Loro Piana Super 120's worth picking up? How much do they normally go for?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I do -- occasionally, and only in the right spots. I have yet to see a Kiton in the wild. That will be ... oh, I get emotional just thinking about it.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Who among you has the cojones to bid on this :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HERMES-JACK...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item4600e8f1aa

The lapel can be fixed :devil:

I have seen Kiton in the wild, I think this species is quite widespread around the world.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

8. MattR

MattR Senior member

At least one of us does. I can say, though, that the last Oxxford SC I saw (that wasn't somehow damaged) fit me like a glove. Now my semi-regular Friday business-casual SC. This was months ago, unfortunately.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

If they fit, I'd cop them. I have a couple of Nordie's dress shirts that I picked up early on and they are superior to the brand new (I know, blasphemy) JAB (double horror!) Traveler dress shirts that I bought during one of those "buy one get two more free" deals.

I doubt there's much flip value but that's not really my thing so your results may vary.

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I've been to your thrifts in Rochester. I'm buzzing down the NY Thruway and thinking, "Hey home of Hickey Freeman!" so I went to the mothership and thought that was cool, and hit your thrifts. DIdn't see no Oxxford there, ha! Didn't find anything there! However, the people were very nice, I was noticing.

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

BTW, if you've never read this WSJ article on Loro Piana, it's cool.

“As long as they sell the finished product for a high enough price, they can use our name,” said company co-chairman Pier Luigi Loro Piana over lunch and an Australian sauvignon blanc at the Modern in New York. “They cannot be too cheap because our fabric is always at the top of the line.”

Now that doesn't mean that everything with the LP label is "worth picking up," but as a rule of thumb I don't care who the brand is, if it's LP labeled and isn't threadbare/stained/otherwise damaged, it's good enough for me. Some SF'ers perhaps would scoff, for example, the Daniel Cremieux LP suit I thrifted but I like it. It's a conservative black suit with subtle blue pinstripes...kind of a staple you need every once in a while but probably don't want to invest a ton of money in because black suits overall...meh. For me, at least, at this point in my SF/wardrobe journey. Cremieux thrifted and altered to fit...with the LP label included? I bought in. It's holding a place in my closet until I find that holy grail upgrade at a thrift store...which might be never. And I'd be OK with that.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

That's my size! Save one for me if they don't fit you!

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

That's because he already pulled everything good, and I picked up any leftovers [​IMG]

14. wcl

wcl Senior member

Well, I have bought them with the collar points stapled before. And could never get the holes to go away fully. I think some of it may have to do with whether or not the collar is fused.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I live in PA and have found 3 or 4 Oxxford SCs in the last few months. However I live close to the The Mason Dixon, so I suppose they could be coming up from the Baltimore area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.