The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

this is actually pretty common... you wouldn't believe the shit people leave or forget at the dry cleaners. apparently many of them have once or twice yearly sales where they get rid of all the orphaned stuff for cheap. next time just ask your cleaners if and when they do! :fonz:

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Whut he sed. Unless the camera or my monitor is way off, I see no problem with this. Lightish blueish summery color. If it looks terribly informal in person, wear it with jeans.

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

An open letter to Zanella

Zanella, hey what's up guys. It's me, Androfan. I know we've met before on a few, sweet, rare occasions, and I just wanted to say that I really love the work you guys do. God's work, I tell you. You guys make some amazing pants - seriously, they're well constructed, feel great and just generally rule. Because you guys rule so much, it's difficult for me to say the things I'm about to say. It's just...we have a real problem guys, and as much as I'd like to take the blame on this one, I can't because it's really your fault. The thing is...well....you just have too many fucking pleats in your pants. There. I said it. It's the 700 pound gorilla in the room, and the blame rests squarely on your shoulders. Look, I could lie to you and say "oh, baby, I've played role in this" and "I'm willing to change too, and etc.", but the cold hard fact is, I love you guys and I really want to continue loving you guys, but we're going to just keep having these problems until you stop putting so many goddamn pleats in your pants. You already make great pants with respect to materials, quality, styling, and all the other good stuff...you just need to reduce the number of pleats by like...12 to 15 or so. Seriously, it's not a contest. You don't "win" by making 18 pleat pants. When I find these monstrosities, I imagine a short portly fellow sitting in a Zanella pants factory being handed a pair of "WARNING: DEMO ONLY - NOT FOR PUBLIC RELEASE" super awesome Zanella pants. I imagine this portly fellow, with his ill-fitting jacket and fine cuban cigar hanging out of the side of his mouth being handed the pants by a poor, emaciated Zanella employee who worked hours upon hours, tirelessly designing, redesigning, cutting, sewing, and resewing these god-inspired gifts by hand. He glares at the poor employee disapprovingly, and manages to belt out, between labored wheezes: "PUT IN MORE FUCKING PLEATS"! A part of me dies inside when I think of this. So please, cut the shit, and reduce the number of pleats by a factor of 25 to 50.

Sincerely,
    Your beloved
    Androfan

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

4. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I found flat front Zanellas the other day.....I stared at them for a while wondering if they were fake. :nodding:

5. wcl

wcl Senior member

I picked up the most versatile of the lot. I left all of the 3+ pleat models. Only two were flat front. Most of the trou were 40, and a few 38. The shirts were mostly 16.5/17 34 and 35. Lots of XL sportshirts and a few XXL. Also I left two pair of clean Ferragamo sneakers for $15 a piece. Any idea if they would flip? All of my experience is in dress shoes. Still hoping some sportcoats or suits will pop up.

And in Trad news, I picked up 5 or 6 Southwick sacks, recent and vintage in the 46 range. Thankfully none of this was my size. :)

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Spoken with a true heart. They should listen to you :) . That said, I dont think I have ever seen pleated pants by Zanella in the department stores I frequent. I wonder where all these people get their pleated Zanella pants?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Holy crap that all sounds like my size.....

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

These aren't that big of a deal. Use the same technique as getting staples out of ties. Gently pry up the ends and pull out slowly. I actually prefer staples than those stupid plastic tag things that put a larger hole in the garment. Please don't tell me you left these because of the stapled tags......

9. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I am curious...how come I've never seen Oxxford in New England, NY, and PA thrifts?

I've seen J Press, Canali, Brioni, Gucci,Kiton, H-F, Borrelli, RLPL, Versace/Etro/T&A and E Marinella ties, Golden Fleece, a lot of English top end brands, etc...but never Oxxford.

Is it that no department stores out here carry it and ergo there's nothing to thrift? Do Bostonians and New Yorkers lean toward English and Italian brands? Literally have never seen one Oxxford anything. And I've seen a lot.

10. Henry Boogers

If you did leave them please provide GPS coordinates. :devil: To add to the advice above, I find that running the steamer over the hole left by the staple allows the fibers to swell, relax, or whatever the heck they do and the hole goes away. Unless it was abused you have to remember that it's not a hole, it's a disruption of the threads. You can typically get the threads to relax back to their intended position.

11. Henry Boogers

Because I beat you to them. :slayer: Just kidding....sort of. I found 2 Oxxford orphans recently - one in Boston and one in PA. I don't know the locations of Oxxford retailers but that could certainly be a factor.

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I see a surprising amount of Oxxford here in northern virginia. Much more than I do ANY of the names OP mentioned (by a factor of 10+).

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Welp, let me know if/when you decide to sell the zanella, I could use some mid and light gray pants if there are any available :)

I would check bay completed listings for ferragmo sneakers to get an idea of worth.

14. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i too would like to attend ZanellaFest 2012 if/when that happens.

15. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Took a gamble and it paid off. Picked up those brand new C&J Peals for BB in my size for $50 plus tax. I'll post pics tomorrow when I hit them with some creme. Also, I took a look around and saw a gorgeous Tom James hanger that looks just like a Kirby Allison one. Best of all, the lady just gave it to me. Hit the local GW and was surprised to see some really decent, classic ties. Grabbed two house brands (Eljos and Peter Blair) in mint shape and a BB Makers BNWT. And although I feel like a bit of a poseur for purchasing it because I dont sail, a LeatherMan Ltd. blue flags code tab and buckle motif belt. My size, good shape, and for $2, it was too good to pass.

Passed on:
    Nick Hilton for Britches of Georgetown navy pinstripe suit. Gorgeous and fully canvassed, but I'm not buying anything that I won't wear. Except if it's easily flippable and will put a good chunk of change in my pocket.
    Andover Shop navy blazer. I really wanted this but it was too far gone.
    A few Corbin sport coats and blazers that were too short. Don't overlook old school Corbin, gentlemen. Made in the USA, fully canvassed, trad. It's quality stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.