The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

haha i've never thought of that. a couple months ago i basically bought up a dude's shirt collection. i never thought of the dry cleaning angle, that makes total sense. genius!

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Two questions, is it normal for people on this thread to not reveal price of their finds? I figured that was half the bragging rights. Second, would $75 be a good price for NWT, RL Polo, made in Italy, extrafine wool trousers? Considering that are $395 retail.

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

it's defnitely blue/green and rather bright. :embar:

i don't really like the idea of commenting on prices, but that's just me. saying what you paid would invite comments/criticisms from others such "man you paid way too much for that." but prices on an individual thrifted item are highly variable, and whether or not something is a good deal depends on:
    • geographical area - prices in minneapolis and omaha are presumably lower than SF/LA/Manhattan
    • the buyer's subjective need for the item - maybe they've always wanted a hat just like that, so they didn't really care about the price, all they wanted is that hat
    • how rare that type of item is in the buyer's area - if a certain type of item is hard to come by in a given person's area, they might be willing to pay a higher price than someone who doesn't have that problem
    • condition of the item - a basically unused item would likely be worth more to a buyer than one that has been gently used, a distinction which might not come across with only a 600 x 800 grainy photo
    • whether the item was purchased at a smaller, curated "boutique" thrift store - the buyer might have paid more, but in exchange, he had to spend less time finding that item. time is money, dummies!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. wcl

wcl Senior member

The wardrobe of a late local businessman has been showing up in chunks at the local Sally. Probaby 30 pair of Zanella pants so far. A few random Zegna, Inco, and Brooks trou as well. I have picked up quite a few for flipping. Did snag a pair of Gravati spectators today as well. The :brick: moment was all of the shirts. Brioni, Zegna, Fray, Behar, all in beautiful shape. And all with the price tag stapled through the left collar point :mad:

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If they are at a discount store and they are for yourself, sure, nice price. If for flipping, it could take ages to break a profit on them.

If they are at a Goodwill, I would laugh my ass off and leave them on the rack, I dont reward charity shops when they start selling closer to retail or outlet prices. Maybe if they were that price and 50% off for the day I may punt.

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

If they fit you well, and the color/fabric is good for you, I say it's a good deal.

Edit: What Klobber said x2

If it's from a thrift store, I say don't support their price gouging!

7. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Sizes on the Zanellas? And the shirts? I can overlook some staple holes for those names.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Are the zanellas flat front, or one or two pleats? If so, I say grab them :D (especially if they are 36 or 38!)

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

x2

I have a shirt that had a tiny tag hole in the back under the collar, I don't notice it unless I look for it really close.

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

what was this guy's size, again?

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1 contact locals, and the local newpaper. They LOVE this kind of stuff. Front page news in most small towns!

NICE!![​IMG]

If they are 30's grab them and PM me [​IMG]

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

They would be from a RL Polo store, NWT. They fit well, need to be hemmed obviously, and the wool looks good, nice details as well. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

If they fill a hole in your wardrobe, you should get them. I have several pairs of PRL, I'm a big fan.

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Get them if you need them. Ralph Lauren Polo stuff made in Italy is as good as Black Label and Purple Label stuff.

+ 1, they are good pants.

15. valium

valium Senior member

99% of the time its someone who doesnt pick up his cleaning and then i think after 60 days it gets donated to charity (could be 30) sometimes people get something dry cleaned and still arent satisfied so they donate it with the tags attached...BUT!!! i know a guy he is so loaded and so considerate he actually gets everything drycleaned BEFORE he donates stuff ,now thats class

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.