• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

awesome analysis man, that explains all the damned orphans i see around here. :brick:

I am getting a heavy wool yellow houndstooth DB polo suit I thrifted a few weeks back from the tailor today. First one I reunited and purchased, myself.

It was separated and thanks to this tricks others have posted on this thread...the pants practically got off the rack in and walked to me themselves (wait til you see how loud it is, I have no idea where I can wear this thing)

THere's one other thing to add to Klobber's list I think of: It's more income for the store to sell pants and coats separately. While I doubt separating them is intentional, they have no incentive to invest time putting them back together again.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't believe H. Freeman is the same as Hickey Freeman...they make nice stuff tho!

Only a few hours from Philly, these things are everywhere here. They are pretty solid suits, but def not Hickey Freeman. The "H" in H. Freeman stands for Hyman, while the Freeman in Hickey-Freeman was Jacob Freeman.

Last edited:

asdfgh

Reaction score
Hey.
smile.gif

I saw a really nice hoodie jacket from Topman and since I've never bought myself a hoodie before, I don't really know how much they averagely cost. Although I have friends who own around $35 ones. So I wanna ask if do you think a price around $45 is worth it? I mean, I could sure use it for a long time, and I never splurge anyway, so I thought how about a reward for me. lol. It's size small btw, I'm 6 feet and 130lbs so I'm hoping that would fit if ever I buy it.

Last edited:

Pawz

Reaction score
Hoodie = SW&D (Streetwear and Denim). Topman is cheap; this is a bragging thread. :)

Just go to the mall and look at hoodies. They come in almost as many colors, prints, labels, etc., as T-shirts.

lol Brooks Brothers recently made a hoodie, which many here made fun of. Probably good quality, though.

EDIT: *removes quote because Dig advised him to*

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you quote them, it makes more work for the moderators when they ban them.

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Hey.
smile.gif

I saw a really nice hoodie jacket from Topman and since I've never bought myself a hoodie before, I don't really know how much they averagely cost. Although I have friends who own around $35 ones. So I wanna ask if do you think a price around $45 is worth it? I mean, I could sure use it for a long time, and I never splurge anyway, so I thought how about a reward for me. lol. It's size small btw, I'm 6 feet and 130lbs so I'm hoping that would fit if ever I buy it.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
London Fog (unless vintage) is junk. I wouldn't touch it at all.

In the last few days I have run into a few London Fog lined trenches, with a zipper, for $20-25. Anyone have any thoughts on how to approach these, orwhat I should be looking for with an eye towards flipping?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for any of y'all in the Atlanta area... I'm heading down to visit my parents next week and I'm gonna have time to go to ONE thrift store... If you had to pick ONE thrift store in the Atlanta metro area, which would it be? Feel free to PM if you don't want to give up the goods in public. I'm only there once or twice a year, so I won't be regular competition
lol8[1].gif

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you gonna be?

ITP:

GW in Buckhead
Buckhead Thriftique (small, usually nothing there)

OTP:
Thrifts on Holcomb Bridge Road and Alpharetta Highway in Roswell

There's a bunch of stuff on Scott/Lawrenceville Hwy if you start ITP and head out of town

Oh yeah, and if you have anything I need (or vice versa) we can kick shipping charges to the curb and meet up at the Clermont or something!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

GHo

Reaction score

Hey. :)

I saw a really nice hoodie jacket from Topman and since I've never bought myself a hoodie before, I don't really know how much they averagely cost. Although I have friends who own around $35 ones.  So I wanna ask if do you think a price around $45 is worth it? I mean, I could sure use it for a long time, and I never splurge anyway, so I thought how about a reward for me. lol.  It's size small btw, I'm 6 feet and 130lbs so I'm hoping that would fit if ever I buy it.

6 ft 130?

seriously? you have a 26 waist?

Everett464

Reaction score
Quote:

could it be?

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is brag-worthy, but i just picked up a coat. brand is Caleffi Roma. it's pretty spot on except for one thing.

the pros:
  • in my size and fits pretty well (a bit tight in the waist, but other than that,it's spot on)
  • made in italy
  • soft shoulder, double vented, quarter lined, nice material
  • staple POW/glen plaid with a subtle pink pinstripe
  • cost about as much as a cup of coffee
  • extremely good condition

the con:
  • THE COLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

had to pick it up, although i have no idea how i'm going to wear this thing. any tips? also, does anyone recognize the manufacturers tag?
DKhb7.jpg

l5yW4.jpg

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^If you meet the original owner in court or something, he will immediately recognize it!! :embar:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads