The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

there you have it gentlemen, straight from the horse's ass. :rotflmao:

2. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

3. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I need some help here, gentlemen. Saw these brand new Peal & Co. for BB brown perforated captoes at my local SA. $100 and in my size. Pretty sure they're the exact same ones as in the link below.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...rt_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#

Problem is, they are marked up. The pictures are pretty indicative of the condition. Will a conditioner and polisher clean them up? Or should I just leave them be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Look pretty good to me! Nothing's ever certain, but even if that doesn't come out / condition out, looks easy to cover with some brown polish. I would pick those up for sure. If your size happens to be 11-11.5-12 you should also think about trading/selling them to me. :lol:

5. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

^^^ Conditioner should take care of that as long as the leather isn't scratched deep. If they are your size i would grab them. If they aren't I am sure someone here would take them off of your hands.:nodding:

6. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Assuming that by marked you mean scuffed, I'd say that conditioner will probably take care of it. Might be worth quietly hitting them with a little bit of conditioner on a rag before buying just to confirm. What could they say against it - you were just improving their product.

If by marked you mean something got on them, I don't know if you could get it off. For that you're on your own.

They just looked scuffed to me, and if I were buying them for myself I think I'd do it. Flipping is less likely.

7. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

I gotta ask - what the heck are you wearing on your own feet?

8. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Haha. These are my beat to shit LL Bean blucher mocs. I love these too much to get rid of them. I work in a super casual office. My milf boss was wearing jeans and a wife beater today. Clearly, she could care less about my shoes.

I'm going back tomorrow morning with some shoe cream. If the cream works I'm getting them. Also, my parents neighbor owns a really successful shoe repair store so I'm going to email him the pics and get his assurance that they can be brought back to fighting condition. The shoes have been there for 2 1/2 weeks so fairly certain they will be there tomorrow.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

You a funny guy. We must meet up in SF sometime.

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Just a Brooks Brothers...! Oh man, I'm such a brand whore for BB that I had this puppy on today. Brooksease charcoal 3 button in a slimmed down 40 with flat front pants for $18. It was snug and beat to hell but I STILL almost bought it. Probably for the best that I didn't.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am still on the hunt for a navy/brass DB that doesn't have aircraft carrier shoulders. :lol:

11. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

After seeing the navy db blazer I found an old Burberry this afternoon... but I dont have the courage to actually wear it if I bought it.

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Whats your size? Local thrift had one of these from Valentino. I did not check size tags and just picked it up and placed back on the rack, but I will be going tommorrow. Seemed smaller, a guestimate would put it in the low 40's / high 30's. They also had a Paul Stuart that was black / midnight blue / extremely dark navy with those brass buttons in a similarish size.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Usually 40S or even 38S depending on the cut but I have to try it on, due to the shoulder issue that I mentioned above a la Ralph, here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

^^^ Gotcha! You will find something I am sure ;)

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I know Typhoid was kidding, and call me a glutton for punishment, but I do want to defend myself on one point: I get that I totally missed the boat on the "tell" in the EZ label, but I stand by the notion that there are shirts out there -- generally single cuff -- that can be either buttoned or french cuffs. See, e.g., this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/45709/difference-between-single-cuff-barrel-cuff-and-double-cuff.

In particular:

Others in the same thread talk about the same phenomenon, and I've even seen -- and bought -- Tyrwhitt shirts with this cuff configuration. I've inspected those shirts 8 ways from Sunday and if they're a fake, they're high enough quality that it doesn't make a scat of difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.