The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

Found and left a bunch of stuff because I'm too busy to sell things anymore. Just looking for myself:

- Corneliani 46R suit (vintage, heavy weight)
    - Armani SC 44R
    - Zegna Soft SC 42R (this one fit perfectly but had stains. Ugh.)
    - Florsheim oxblood wingtips 11.5D

Also someone dumped a bunch of good condition YSL stuff at the SA. I recall someone posting which labels were good and which were crap, but I couldn't find it for reference.

If anyone's interested in any of the above, let me know - I can go back. We have low turnaround in these parts.

2. thomfloyd

thomfloyd New Member

Today I picked up a nice Harris Tweed Blazer $7.99 and also a nice vintage 3 piece tweed suit $14.99 that had no name, but the thing is that I had to find each piece of the suit individually. I also bought 5 vintage skinny ties for $1 each and 1 of them was a Christian Dior. I came across a very nice belt in which I paid $2 for that had a nice Eagle head belt buckle. It was an awesome thrift day if I must say!!! :slayer:

3. thomfloyd

thomfloyd New Member

Today I picked up a nice Harris Tweed Blazer $7.99 and also a nice vintage 3 piece tweed suit $14.99 that had no name, but the thing is that I had to find each piece of the suit individually. I also bought 5 vintage skinny ties for $1 each and 1 of them was a Christian Dior. I came across a very nice belt in which I paid $2 for that had a nice Eagle head belt buckle. It was an awesome thrift day if I must say!!! :slayer:

4. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Damnnnnn. Reminds me of the movie K 9. (80s reference!)

5. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Quote: Just curious are any of the sweaters up for sale?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

PM'd

This is reason #1 I have the Unpaid Item Assistant set up to open an unpaid item case automatically after 4 days, then close it in my favor after 4 days. If that happens, they can't even leave you a neg anymore, which is nice. I also say 48 hours to pay - so I figure 4 days to pay is double my "policy" so that's all the leeway they get. I've only had one unpaid item case actually close in my favor and the item relist, actually - it was that stupid 1964 Brooks Brothers 3/2 side vented jacket too, it only sold for 24.99 and now it's listed up again. Wish I had never picked that thing up. :brick:

Really though - this way you can say "Ebay automatically does this" and buyers just don't have a choice. I've gotten at least 4 payments in that SPECIFICALLY mentioned not wanting to violate Ebay policy (ha!) and several others that I suspect were influenced by it.

Holy freaking cow! Kudos to him for overcoming all of that! Good on you to deck him out in nice clothes too :) I do think it's interesting how one person who gets into SF and this thread can end up affecting the wardrobes of several people around them. My dad (not a pet name for an Ebay reseller! :lol:) wears Oxxford suits now that I thrifted for him, and his basic dress shirts are all Brooks Brothers now instead of Arrow and Nautica and what have you.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

• The H-F looks like a sportcoat from here. No drop on the tag and it's silk. I have yet to see a man's suit made of silk. Rock on in it!
    • Mezlan shoes get little love on styleforum. I have a pair of chestnut split toes that I think look nice and are the most comfortable dress shoe I've ever worn. I took several pairs of AE (which I am a whore for) and my Mezlans on an Italian cruise last year. The Mezlans were the only shoes I wore when we went ashore. Even when walking across the cobblestones of Pompeii in wet weather, they carried the day for me. Wear them as you like but don't expect the WAYWRN guys to like them.
    • The Woolrich looks like a nice find. I picked up one of their wool bombers and it's my go-to casual cold weather jacket.

My Man! [​IMG]

Sounds like you had a good time. If this is your first foray into thrifting using the knowledge that can be gathered here, you will find, much like I did, that the store is full of good deals but the point is to find the awesome stuff. The Harris sounds like a good find and a full on tweed suit is a great pick up if it appears to be made well and does not look too dated. I thought I had a stunning sport coat once only to learn here that the lapel notches were so low that it was easily identifiable as a style specific to the late 80's.

Read this thread and learn the names of the makers of "the good stuff". Narrow your search for those brands. The material and construction are superior to 98% of everything else the store has. If you settle for something less, you will quickly run out of room in your home as you fill it with inexpensive finds that you will not want as you become more educated.

Good luck and happy hunting!

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Ain't that the truth. My father in law expects me to find him something for a black tie event next month. At thrifts. He is 6-5, 170lb. Needle in a haystack stuff. First I need to find out if he really means black tie or if that's slang for "dressing up in really conservative business attire." Then I need to decide whether or not to tell him to just go rent something, or use it for cover to do more obsessive thrifting. Weighing my options, you know.

9. vexco

vexco Senior member

being almost this size(6'7", 195) I can see how it'd be difficult. I do run across things that fit everywhere but the sleeves, tho.

10. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

possibly... just got home from dropping the kids off and I'm about to take photos of all the stuff from yesterday. check back in a bit ;)

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

ouch. $50 for a that coat is solid for ebay.

I wonder where he's picking up this "bespoke" (I say that tongue in cheek) stuff that he's selling? Are you seeing that at the GW?

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I'm definitely keeping the Mezlans because they fit and are pretty nice. The H-F, unfortunately is a 44 R, so it's destined for ebay once I fix the small seam tear.

14. GHo

GHo Senior member

I just had another Unpaid Item Case open (third this year) over a $45 Chaps suit that I bought pre-SF.

My question (and part frustration) is this -after the case closes and I'm "reimbursed" for fees, I obviously can't leave neg feedback. Are you guys leaving negative feedback prior to the case closing? I can still leave it for this guy, but I don't want him dinging me too.

On the flip side, I'm getting fucking tired of these people bidding, having a change of heart, and not paying. All ebay does is slap them on the wrist, if that, and allow them to go on their merry way. How do we, as sellers, tell how many times a bidder has not paid in the past (or is that even possible)

/rant

:censored:

15. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I have this crap going on right now. A real pain in the ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.