• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Reaction score
I researched it on AAAC...apparently, the English-made ones are made by Cheaney....good shoes for 79.99. Most Cole-Haans are crap, though.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went thrifting with an old friend over the weekend. Here was my haul.

-Jil Sander short sleeved safari shirt in a shiny khaki cotton. Looks scarcely worn, though I'm 99% sure it's from one of the later Milan V-something collections. Still, it's a fun shirt that will get more than enough wear to justify its cost even if I only don it twice.

-RLPL polo shirt, white with two-tone tan horizontal stripes. Tags still on it, and marked for less than used Polo shirts despite have obviously superior cloth and MOP buttons.

-Baldarassini Hugo Boss spread collar shirt, blue and white stripes composed of tiny interlocking triangles. Nice cloth, dished MOP buttons that are a level thinner than Borrelli or Lorenzini buttons, great collar roll, construction a step below Lorenzini.

-Individualized Shirts spread collar shirt in a really, really fine sky blue Oxford cloth. I've never heard of this brand, but it's a great shirt even if the buttons are a little bit smaller in diameter than I'd like and not nearly as thick as the Italian shirtbuttons.

-Lorenzini blue bengal-stripe shirt with someone's name on the nametag. Collar damage and stubby 33" sleeves make the shirt unwearable for me, but I only bought it to harvest the buttons to upgrade a PS Paul Smith shirt I bought from the Scoop NYC sale last fall.

The total for those five shirts was comfortably under $20, including tax.

nearly new

Reaction score
I own a shop in Oklahoma City. Admittedly not the fashion capital of the world. But certainly one of the oil capitals of the world. We get some incredible stuff in from the "Oilies" on a pretty consistant basis. More Oxxford conservative than Hugo Boss fashion forward which is O.K. by me. I got a ton of Harris tweeds in that I will be making available at the end of summer. We just got rid of literally a truck load of Bijan suits. If any of you guys need something contact me and If I can't get it I'll try to steer you.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nearly new
I own a shop in Oklahoma City. Admittedly not the fashion capital of the world. But certainly one of the oil capitals of the world. We get some incredible stuff in from the "Oilies" on a pretty consistant basis. More Oxxford conservative than Hugo Boss fashion forward which is O.K. by me. I got a ton of Harris tweeds in that I will be making available at the end of summer. We just got rid of literally a truck load of Bijan suits. If any of you guys need something contact me and If I can't get it I'll try to steer you.
i think you will be very popular here. welcome to SF.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just bought a corneliani sartorial summer coat for around $90 in a sale. last sunday it was tagged at $150+.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Will your friend thrift by appointment?

Actually, she wasn't much help. Neither she nor I noticed a series of small orange stains on the front of the RLPL polo. Good thing I did notice before I wore it. So I cut the buttons off to go on a regular Polo polo shirt and tossed the shirt. I wore the Jil Sander shirt today - with some old very light blue Diesels that I hadn't worn in probably 4 years and a pair of brown suede wingtips - and realized that I like it a whole lot more than I thought I would.

nearly new

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weeks
I guess I'll join in on the bragging since I am frequent visitor to thrift stores. I got the 9 shirts that I put up on the buying and selling forum (including 6 Turnbull & Asser shirts) for $1.25 per shirt. Unfortunately they were not my size or I would have been set for a while with shirts .

I also picked up some Alden tasell loafers a few weeks ago for $6 which are pretty close to my size (the are a little too narrow). However, I still feel a little wierd wearing tassel loafers since I am 24.

Oh, and I also found some cool old brown wingtip footjoy golf shoes for $5, which is definately an improvement from the new balances that I have been wearing to play golf.

I did the same thing with three T&A shirts that were too small in the collar I found in a Thrift shop. I took them back to T&A for re-collar and cuff. Now I have three nice vintage shirts with stripoed bodies and white collar and French cuff in my size.

summej2

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a pair of near mint John Lobb London bespoke loafers on eBay; if only they had been for me instead of my wife. She's a more normal size than I, and the perpetual haul of YSL Rive Gauche and other quality vintage for her puts the occasional Paul Stuart or Armani I pick up to shame. In any case, I'll try to post a good photo once they arrive.

When I first saw them I wasn't even aware that John Lobb made women's shoes, but they match one of the models on their website. Apparently they aren't well known as a women's shoe maker---there were hardly any bids. Does anyone have any experience with John Lobb bespoke for women?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
Yesterday I picked up a pair of near mint John Lobb London bespoke loafers for $65 on eBay; if only they had been for me instead of my wife. She's a more normal size than I, and the perpetual haul of YSL Rive Gauche and other quality vintage for her puts the occasional Paul Stuart or Armani I pick up to shame. In any case, I'll try to post a good photo once they arrive.

When I first saw them I wasn't even aware that John Lobb made women's shoes, but they match one of the models on their website. Apparently they aren't well known as a women's shoe maker---there were hardly any bids. Does anyone have any experience with John Lobb bespoke for women?

All I know is that they have long made riding boots and street shoes for women, and I assume the quality is up to par.

Today I picked up some Brooks/Alden captoe bluchers (seconds) in burgundy shell cordovan, which I will be putting up for sale. They have some not-very-obvious scuffing and discoloration on one heel counter but otherwise look great. Other than being seconds, they are practically new - soles unscuffed, uppers uncreased. I'm thinking around $250. Size 8D, if anyone is interested.

resizeofp52912741yi.jpg

Also found some interesting "30s Art Deco" (it said on the tag, who knows) cufflinks - sterling with either black glass or onyx; I can't tell. Either way I really like them. They have some extremely tiny markings stamped into the ring of one side of each that I can't make out. $20

resizeofp52912883ak.jpg

No idea what that says and I don't have a macro lens for my camera:
cufflinkdetail3dm.jpg

Also these brass and red glass links of no particular pedigree that I just generally liked. They don't look that bright in reality. $5.

resizeofp52913046mg.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
Yesterday I picked up a pair of near mint John Lobb London bespoke loafers for $65 on eBay; if only they had been for me instead of my wife. She's a more normal size than I, and the perpetual haul of YSL Rive Gauche and other quality vintage for her puts the occasional Paul Stuart or Armani I pick up to shame. In any case, I'll try to post a good photo once they arrive.

Women's bespoke by traditionally men's cordwainers began when women wanted men's shoes in their sizes. Notably, this was true of rich ladies who had a fondness for dressing in mannish fashions in the Deco period. As well as wealthy lesbians, et al.

stach

Reaction score
I found a Coach bag in the trash tonight. It's in pretty good shape!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fifties Omega gold watch - approx. $15 in flea-market with semi-pro stall vendors. The price was so low I took the chance, then had it checked checked by my watchmaker and found to be genuine and in good working order. Cleaning and new strap added another approx. $30.
Gullomega.jpg

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a vintage/junk shop last Thursday, on my way out. (Agora, for Bill and others who know Athens.) I found a pair of new, unblemished Alden 405s ("Indy boots") for $15. Only "problem" was that one had no shoelaces, though one of them had a kit to replace the heel. I assumed they were great uppers with resoles, because of the green "neoprene" sticker on the sole and the un-Alden like heel, but apparently it's all the way they come. I'll get a shot when my camera charges, maybe. Also bought three chairs that look for all the world to me like Porsche 914 bucket seats, in black vinyl. They're on 5-point Herman Miller-made chrome spinning bases that are likely each worth more than I paid for the three chairs. I'm going to get them reupholstered in caramel-colored leather and use them in my sunroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads