The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I've been waiting for the Styleforvm dude who thinks that he bought fake Anderson & Sheppard on eBay from RSS to air out his grievances in this thread, but I fear my wait is in vain.

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

re: trade thrifting

a few days ago i started a google doc to see if anyone else was interested in creating a centralized place for stuff to trade. i think having one central doc is better than everyone having individual tumblrs (would take too much time to scan through everyone's individual tumblrs just to find something in your size) and also better than scanning through the hundreds of back pages of the bragging thread (also takes a ton of time).

advantages:
    • gives people a place to list for trade items that are decent but not exactly brag-worthy, which will help maintain the all-important purity of this thread
    • if you see an item you like, you can immediately see what size that item's current owner wears and what they're looking for, which will let you know if a trade is possible

anyways, here's the link. feel free to list your stuff or ignore it or whatever. if we get enough of a critical mass, it might make for an easy way to find items you're looking for in your size. i made individual tabs for sport coats, trousers, suits, shoes, shirts, and then within each tab you can sort by size to find something that'll be in your ballpark.

open to suggestions, feel free to change things up or add more sheets if you feel so inclined.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agn4temDZZzkdHZFTEVFUXN0bVNpWTJTdXJqWGk1ZkE

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Good instinct - I'm 100% sure those are NOT shell. Look at this photo - note the micro-creasing at the toe rolls. Shell does not get that.

[​IMG]

Also, that model number isn't listed as shell - most (all?) of the Florsheim shell model numbers start with 9. Also, I THINK (though I could be wrong) that only Imperial or Royal Imperials were made in shell, not the plain jane Florsheim line. I've only ever seen the green-stitching Imperial line in shell cordovan.

Anyhow... four stores today, and jackpot:

Ballantyne cashmere sweater in blue with argyle
    McGeorge cashmere sweater, red
    Bunce Brothers (old Cleveland store) Made in England cashmere sweater that I'm all but positive is by Alan Paine, green
    Bunce Brothers Made in England 100% lambswool sweater that I picked up because it was with the others and some sleuthing should ID the maker
    Vineyard Vines LS shirt
    Burberry London sport coat
    Marshall Field's "Field Deluxe" cashmere overcoat... tagged size 36!
    Brooks Brothers winter coat (the cotton exterior with down filling and a hood kind)

Housewares:
    NIB Homedics moving-nub massager with all the parts, the big one with the Bed Bath & Beyond $99.99 tag still on it, for $14

and last but not least:
    a Keurig B70 coffeemaker - that's the top of the line! 28 bucks for this one :uhoh: but it powers on OK and even if it doesn't work right for the full cycle it'll be an easy Craigslist sale. Never thought I'd thrift one of these (actually got this exact model off Craigslist for $75 for my wife for Christmas) but what the hey! Everything's there, too. Do I win at housewares for the day? :hide:

OH and while on the subject of housewares... my wife wants me to ask: does anyone want that green Kitchenaid Accolade 400 I found awhile back? She's interested in trying to trade for another color, doesn't have to be same model or anything.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Quote: Also, that model number isn't listed as shell - most (all?) of the Florsheim shell model numbers start with 9. Also, I THINK (though I could be wrong) that only Imperial or Royal Imperials were made in shell, not the plain jane Florsheim line. I've only ever seen the green-stitching Imperial line in shell cordovan
    +1

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

When "google doc" originally showed up in discussion, I didn't really get the idea but now that I look at it, I see it might work.

I'll put a couple things on it, see what happens.

How do we promote it? I.E. so it doesn't die like the Thrifter's Trading Post thread? We need to somehow remind people here that it exists without other people coming and trashing the doc. However...the people on the B&S who are interested in cash money are not interested in trading so maybe it will work out OK.

In other news: Vox slummin' it here with the thrifters, eh?

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Quote: Everyone who uses it could put the link to it in their signature.

7. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Someone's gotta lead the way.

8. tben

tben Senior member

9. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Wow, did you go to the "I'm already an attorney in this state and I'll donate my castoffs store"?

Great stuff.

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Totally believable because we don't even know some of the upscale brands here, that's why we ask each other "have you heard of..." or "what do you know about?" If someone like Nataku who owns the world record for posting on any thread anywhere here with 47,000 posts occasionally sees a new logo or whatever...counterfeiting that brand would be a dumb business decision if you were looking to move it in quantity.

however, fake Gap? Now you're talking. That's why at some of the thrift stores I go to, Gap is on the "boutique" racks marked up while Canali and H-F and whatever is on the common junk racks. The clerks might even know those brands are upscale, but they can't sell them -- nobody knows them or wants them. Jones NY, Gap,Chaps, Ben Sherman, Ann Taylor, Ike Behar, etc etc etc from the outlet malls? They can get double for those. I hardly ever see BB over on the "boutique/premium" markup racks.

11. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Also, that model number isn't listed as shell - most (all?) of the Florsheim shell model numbers start with 9. Also, I THINK (though I could be wrong) that only Imperial or Royal Imperials were made in shell, not the plain jane Florsheim line. I've only ever seen the green-stitching Imperial line in shell cordovan
    Well Crud. I need to amend the post. Kind of bummed about this one.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Don't be too bummed, they are still very nice looking and well maintained. They should do well for you.

13. Towers

Towers Senior member

It's easier to counterfeit a $20 bill than it is to counterfeit a $100. I think the margin for error on a fake gap or BR shirt would be much wider than on higher end clothing where the forgery would be obvious.

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

OK, so I guess I'll be posting a lot of stuff on the trading thread tonight. Let's make this work!

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

not to mention there's a much broader demand (socio-economically speaking) for counterfeit cheap stuff than high-end. when i was growing up, tons of neighborhood stores and swap meet vendors counterfeit low-end nikes - low-end as in they were made to look like low-end, plain-jane nikes. much more common than counterfeit air jordans and the like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.