Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JChance

JChance Senior member

2 excellent-condition FACONNABLE Long Sleeve Off-White French Cuff Dress Shirt tag size 5, 16.5, XL, (Available)

Twill texture fabric, very soft. Condition 8.5/10, looks like 4-5 wears top. No pit stains, collars and cuffs look very white. Some small stains on the cuff but once folded over (french cuff), they are not visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Before we spin this into an annoying threak, I will interject: I did the thrifter's trading post thing and that was a dead thread.

My only thought re:trading is setting up my own tumblr and then putting a link to it in my sig with new highlights added. Would anyone go there? I am rethrifting a lot and giving away (pal of mine is exactly my size and got his life stolen while he was in hospital -- including clothes -- and he adores the stuff I bring him, one wash basket at a time...but his damn closet is overflowing now, too!!!)

Would anyone go there if I took the time to set up a tumblr with pics of stuff to trade, listing wants/needs/sizes for myself? Might you all set up your own for trades? I know a lot more than I am interested in trading and not necessarily sell, I PM them back and forth and sometimes we consummate trades.

4. JChance

JChance Senior member

One like-new Mastai Ferretti Collezione Orange Diagonal Stripe Shirt, button-cuff, size 15 US 38 (Available)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. vexco

vexco Senior member

personally, yes...as someone who's always looking to trade, too that sounds like an awesome idea

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Hah! Reset your preferences to 100 posts per page and you'll only have one page to catch up with. It's still the same number of posts but it feels more manageable. :teach:

Meanwhile, I picked up my newly thrifted Brooks Brothers custom made navy suit from the cleaners (gotta kill the mothies) and went to my tailor for a fitting.She pointed out that it has surgeon cuffs! I missed that completely. I'm having her taper the pants like a fiend. I can't wait to wear this puppy!

That brings up another point that has occurred to me.

There are so many great finds in this thread and we see pics of them on hangers and mannequins and such. We never see anyone wearing any of it. After I get my stuff altered, I try to post a shot or two in the WAYWRN threads. Did I get hammered? You bet! But it made me make better decisions regarding whether my finds actually fit me and what colors and features to look for. I guess my point is that now I feel that not only do I own fine clothing, that clothing works to improve my appearance.

Let's see some fit pics. Either here or in WAYWRN. This is a forum that thrives on seeing what people look like in their clothes. I believe that the vast majority here who offer opinions on fit pics are honestly trying to be helpful, as long as you consider their advice and don't go straight to defcon 5 if someone doesn't care for how your recent Kiton fits on you.

I keep a styleforum thread that I put a lot of my fits into and you can see some of the (what I hope is / have been told is) improvement in my sense of style as time has passed. If anyone wants to see some horrible fits and some of my more successful attempts, click on my "Dig" signature at the bottom of this or any of my posts. Feel free to comment. I'm not trolling for thread participation, really! :lol:

I'd just like the opportunity to see if people are thrifting to their benefit or might need a nudge or two toward a different direction. Your mood may vary.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Damn! I wish those were a 15.5-16 x 34! I can never find good staple white dress shirts in my size that aren't wrecked (hint hint) [​IMG]

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

I knew you were not attacking me and in my somewhat happy hour induced rant was more a vent at a one or two word, "no it's not". I'm very new at this and earlier had posted a NWT Hermes tie I thrifted and someone responded, "It's Fake" , that was it, no explanation. (by the way, thanks Spoo for the authentication, still haven't worn it yet, waiting for spring/summer)

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've seen this a couple of times on other peoples posts and then they ask, "why is it". The senior member comment was not directed at you (though it sure came out that way and I apologize for that) but more on the lines of let me know what's with the post. As you said, I misunderstood/misinterpreted your reply. I do remember someone (maybe it was you) responding to a posting earlier about a suit that was listed as a Zegna but was in fact Zegna cloth, that is why I tried to relay that the suits were "Zegna" cloth and not actual Zegna.

As an aside, The Fit-Well website lists the current price of "Zegna" type cloth suits at between $995-$1295.

http://www.fitwel.com/specials.php

9. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

This has got to be the most out there Brooks Brothers shirt I've seen:

[​IMG]

Although strangely high quality from their "Country Club" line. 100% linen:

[​IMG]

Nice MOP buttons:

[​IMG]

Even excellent pattern matching:

[​IMG]

It's so hideous, it's almost cool. XXL, available if anyone wants to rock it.

I can only imagine this is exactly what Mr. Henry Sands Brooks envisioned when he started up his little outfit in 1818. "Forget the sack suits, we need more purple paisley!"

10. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Well, in my estimation, this thread became the WTB/WTT thread about the same time it became the ebay seller support thread. Which all led to this:

Would I love to see it be a more pure bragging thread? Sure, but that would require the trading thread to be revived (not gonna happen), and for the people who are on this thread and can offer the support to also be checking a thread about how to ebay stuff (not one of those people, so not sure whether it would happen or not). This thread has become a self contained sub-culture. The conclusion that I've come to is that I've got to either accept that and skip over the large number of posts that don't interest me, or I've got to stop reading the thread altogether. At this point, I'm still reading. If and when the thread re-divides into several more targeted threads, I'll choose the 2-3 that interest me, and read 1/2 the posts I currently do.

(I think this was a version of "can't we just all get along.")

I have nothing to brag. I haven't been to a thrift store today.

EDIT:
    That is the coldest thing I've read on the thread in a while. Who does that?

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

So I am currently on a thrifting hiatus due to that utterly ridiculous 3 day test I have to take in 3 weeks to become an attorney in this state. :fu: All for the best, as I had struck out out in my previous 10 or so thrift runs. I decided I would go check out ONE (1) store the other day in or to give myself a study break. Not my most amazing finds, but I definitely have never come back with more from just one store, ever.

Ties: Hermes, Hermes, Hermes, Turnbull & Asser, Robert Talbott Silk Knit

[​IMG]

Shirts: Etro, Etro, Etro, Dolce Gabbana Mainline, Dolce Gabbana Mainline, RLPL, RRL

[​IMG]

Pocket Squares: All silk, all hand-rolled in Italy or England. 25c each. Most maker's tags missing, some say "Ashear"

[​IMG]

Bernard Zins (anyone have info on this??) Linen/Silk SC. Obvious quality, pick-stitching, hand-work, etc. Side-vented. Made in France.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lanvin Navy Blazer with silver hardware.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWOT Schott G-1 Flight Jacket. Not leather, but wool....different, but very cool IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left Behind: Caraceni jacket that looked like a possible orphan. This is the "bad" Caraceni right?

[​IMG]

Not pictured: a few harris tweeds and recent Boss SC's. Please note, I have omitted sizes on these items as none will be available until after I return to the thrifting world in 4 weeks or so. I simply don't have the time at the moment to deal with trades/selling. I hope you all understand :) This was purely an opportunity to brag.

13. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

That Schott will go for some good money on da Bay

14. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Wonders never cease. I'm waiting for fake kenneth cole.

15. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Which state? I passed the Oregon Bar in July - longest three months of my life, waiting for results. Overall, probably the lowest point in my life self-esteem wise. If you are feeling bad, try to keep your head up - it will all be over soon, one way or the other.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.