The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Your description of the Chaps tie cracks me up. Good luck

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I am just learning/Googling around on this label, on SF and elsewhere.

Why did you decide this particular coat "made the cut" and was good enough for you? What is the appeal? I know of one almost like it at my local SA...it's a Royal Classic, too.

Am I right in seeing it as kind of a Hardy Amies -- some good, some bad, some good but really old and too far outdated, some new and totally worth picking up if you're picky?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've been pretty happy with the quality construction of these MTM jackets. This is the first TJ tweed I have come across, also and first with a ticket pocket. These are all of course options when you order your SC or suit from TJ. The color on this one is nice as well. I just like it all around. I'm some sort of tweed junkie.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Fair quality, good price.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Anyone have any flat-front 32/30 gray trousers they want to trade me? I've been searching for decent ones forever!

Also looking for a sweet trench in a 40Sish

6. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Almost found some Armani Collezioni today. I think I've seen this particular fake label before.

[​IMG]

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Just wondering out loud here, but when did this become the WTB/WTT section of SF. Thought it was more about bragging [​IMG] At least brag about something you thrifted at the same time as wanting to trade.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Looks real to me.[​IMG]

9. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

what Nat said. I'm not sure of the resale of WW Chan, but I thrifted a WW Chan suit once and it is the bomb. Great finish. From the WW Chan thread here, you should look for WW Chan made in Hong Kong. Apparently, the Shanghai branch and other branches aren't up to snuff.

10. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

A Man Hing Cheong stuff is right up there with Chan. I've thrifted both multiple times and consider them comparable.

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I certainly don’t want this to be the beginning of another stupid e-fight about the purity of this thread, but I posted this simple request because I know people post things on here that they want to trade or sell (braggable items, sure, but still things they want to offload). I know you’ve gotten some sale/trade hookups through this thread.

Since nobody has embraced mexicutioner’s idea of a trading Google Doc, I didn’t know where to turn. I’ve was out of commission last week, so I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. Maybe there should be a trading thread revival or something.

And really, the “purity” argument is so tired. If you don’t like what somebody’s posting, just don’t respond, and they will eventually get the hint. I got a few PMs about my post, and I don’t think there was anything particularly offensive about it. I know selling on this thread seems to be verboten – or is at least a reason for personal attacks – so I purposefully didn’t say, “I want to buy some pants.”

If I’m out of line, people, speak up, and I’ll leave this thread and just sell stuff on ebay (and since nobody bit on the pants or the shells or the Caruso blazer, maybe I'll do that anyway). Styleforum has been an invaluable resource for me because I'm new to all this and am still trying to acquire a base of nice clothing, but you guys sure are opinionated and holier-than-thou sometimes.

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Leave this thread for a day and I miss six pages :laugh:

Glad to see I'm in Dig's list :D

13. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I wasn't trying to attack you, I should have been more clear. And I don't get the whole senior member thing and I don't think that it fits me. I hope those suits and sc's do well.
    [​IMG]

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1

15. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Another, possibly more acceptable, option would be to list what you have/want in your signature? I don't think that would cause any harm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.