• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh. I didn't think it was a recent label so I didn't even think to check the BB website. Thanks a bunch!!

Looks like the BB Luxury line tage, should be purple.... can see the specs if you go to dress shirts on BB website. Thicker buttons with a double button cuff also.

mmmmm how wide?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Guys , nataku created a thread about the paypal 1099 here http://www.styleforum.net/t/286841/question-about-1099-k-form-from-paypal-for-taxes, if anyone can share tips on how we can maximize a refund or deduct from our taxes it would be much appreciated

baldy[1].gif

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ran into this corduroy jacket today with a non-English (seems German) label, size 50, can someone identify this maker? Thanks. Pardon my green shorts...

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today:
J. Press made in england tie, recent
2x Hugo Boss selection shirts. Made in switzerland, massive MOP buttons, amazing shirts
Vintage Polo Sportsman club shirt
Big Mac 60's deadstock workshirt
Pendleton indian blanket jacket
Barbour Bedale... minty fresh, looks new. Size 46 I think, sorry Alan :(

Would it be overkill if I had a Bedale and a Beaufort? :embar:

Would like to see the J Press ties though.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Welcome aboard. FWIW... my dad was a Yellow Jacket. Always heard about the Varsity hotdogs growing up.

My boss took me there on a recent business trip "for the experience," but I suspect it was to avoid expensing a steak dinner, hahahah. Hands down best item were the fried peach pies (think like Hostess apple and cherry pies from the grocery store -- they still make those things?) and homemade peach ice cream.

Off to Half Off Wednesday at the local SA. While this particular store has been pretty thin, last week I got Charvet and Burberry 7-fold ties so I am hoping...good stuff awaits.

Reaction score
Gah! Nothing worse than sifting through a bunch of crap at Goodwill only to find really ugly patterns on what few nice brands you do find. I must've found 5 Brooks Brothers ties, 1 Lanvin + 2 Burberry's of London, except they were all hideous. (side bar: is it just me, or does Club Room make ok ties? They definitely have a nice thickness.)

Plus, I went back to find that Hickey Freeman sports coat that I left yesterday and I couldn't....so any of you ATL guys, there may or may not be a 39R Navy Hickey Freeman SC floating around the Buckhead goodwill.

<---- also a Tech grad

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just realized that I thrifted basically everything I'm wearing to work today.

-Calvin Klein suit (yeah, yeah I know...but it's in a color that I desperately needed (light grey), fits great, has peaked lapels and was $15....so shutup)
-Turnbull & Asser tie (blue/orange)
-Brooks Brothers white dress shirt
-Bostonian Impressions -- like a burgandy or "oxblood", not sure.

basically everything but socks, boxers, undershirt, belt, and wallet...I thumb through the belt section at Goodwill but I never know what to look for. Any tips?

Last edited:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

basically everything but socks, boxers, undershirt, belt, and wallet...I thumb through the belt section at Goodwill but I never know what to look for. Any tips?

+1. I think that there are a lot of people on this thread who dress head to toe in second-hands (including myself). I picked up all of my dress and casual belts at the thrift stores and charity shops. I keep my eye out for vintage "MADE IN USA" ("MADE IN ENGLAND" is also good, but "MADE IN ITALY" can be all over the place) Brooks Brothers, Coach, and J. Press belts. I think the main thing is to make sure the belts are genuine leather, supple and not dry or cracked, not thin or plastic-y feeling either, and the buckle is done in solid brass. A little bit of leather conditioner and a light coating of shoe polish to even out the color really goes a long way, too. Good luck! -M-

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dibs on his future 46R canali and zegna finds.

His 36R/38R canali, zegna, and boglioli (LOL) for me. I have enough trouble finding SCs and suits to fit my shoulder measurements as it is... Suppose I'm thrifting the wrong places.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back from business trip and 200 posts accumulated.
Browsed quickly and saw Nataku's tax problems! I guess the good news is you made over that amount. I wonder if you should open another account and remain under the limit in two accounts.
Then Brian's list. Very useful. If I remember to check back. Asking here is easier:)
Digmenow's aviators. Dude, I just paid over a hundred bucks for a pair of vintage RayBan clubmasters so 70 is not a bad deal. Although I think I overpaid and will try to offload. Buyer's remorse. Probably someone from around here was bidding against me.

Finally, anyone in Santa Monica, CA, the SA there has several good Canali and Pink shirts sz16.5 around 8to 10 bucks and some very new looking Magnanni and Magli shoes around 20 bucks. Also 2 Trafalgar belts 34-36. I was not going to haul them back across the country, they do not fit me, but I had to drop in within the few spare minutes I had! Also, what is the deal with homeless in CA that they all have pets. I saw couple of dogs, and a cat.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a near daily occurrence for me. In fact, it's a more rare occasion when 1/2 or more of my outfit is not thrifted. Yesterday was about average: suit (Zegna), shirt (Zegna), tie (PRL), shoes (Florsheim), and bag were all thrifted (100%).

-Calvin Klein suit (yeah, yeah I know...but it's in a color that I desperately needed (light grey), fits great, has peaked lapels and was $15....so shutup)
-Turnbull & Asser tie (blue/orange)
-Brooks Brothers white dress shirt
-Bostonian Impressions -- like a burgandy or "oxblood", not sure.

Reaction score
I've yet to find a "super mega excellent" brand in a thrift store, let alone an entire suit, and I'm shopping in a nice area. I could clothe a small army with the amount of Southwick and Tom James suits I've found, though. Still, I've only been doing it for < 2 months. I was hired at a big company in Atlanta with a suit-and-tie dress code, and all I had was a charcoal Jos A Bank suit for interviews. Slowly my wardrobe is coming together.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Atlanta (well, actually I mostly thrift in Roswell), I seem to have more luck with high-end shoes than suits or blazers. Yesterday's HF Boardroom from Saks was the first "good" suit that actually fit. And when I find something good, it's usually one piece at a time. I have no idea how these guys pull trunkloads of high-end clothes.

I've been thrifting since about November.

I've yet to find a "super mega excellent" brand in a thrift store, let alone an entire suit, and I'm shopping in a nice area. I could clothe a small army with the amount of Southwick and Tom James suits I've found, though. Still, I've only been doing it for < 2 months. I was hired at a big company in Atlanta with a suit-and-tie dress code, and all I had was a charcoal Jos A Bank suit for interviews. Slowly my wardrobe is coming together.

Reaction score
In Atlanta (well, actually I mostly thrift in Roswell), I seem to have more luck with high-end shoes than suits or blazers. Yesterday's HF Boardroom from Saks was the first "good" suit that actually fit. And when I find something good, it's usually one piece at a time. I have no idea how these guys pull trunkloads of high-end clothes.

I've been thrifting since about November.

Yes, I've had ok luck w/ shoes. My local goodwill practically keeps Bostonian and Florsheim oxfords in stock. Haven't run across anything special yet, but they'll do in a pinch.

On how to score truckloads of high-end clothes, it's probably just volume and time management. I only hit one store a day, because I live too far away to spend a lot of time thrifting after work. I'm moving to Virginia Highlands next week, so I'll be able to add more stores to my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads