The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

:eek: You just blew my mind. I conceptually knew there were ties that expensive, but to see one... the most expensive (at retail) ties I've handled are regular silk Kitons.

Anyway, I saved this for a separate post so it wouldn't get buried in the pants: I also found a shirt. This was in a batch of Armani Le Collezioni Made in Italy shirts, and ~20 J.W. Nordstrom shirts were with it. Thing is, I picked it up on the basis of seeing the handwork, but did I get taken for a ride?

It's for Bernini Beverly Hills, no maker tag listed. Handwork around the collar (in white!), hand sewn side gussets and armholes (in black). Handsewn shanked buttons - in cross shape, not crows foot, curiously. Buttonholes I'm not 100% sure on, black thread on black fabric = hard to see. Thick MOP buttons, etc... yeah. I had to pick it up based on quality. Oddities - 2 pockets on the front, plus the white-on-black stitching... but dang, this thing is quality.

I've seen that content tag before on one of my nice shirts - can't remember which specifically, and not sure if that would ID it or not?
    Anyone have any ideas? It's a 15.5 so I think there'd be some folks interested... because it's available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    bernini is amid- to high-end clothing store in beverly hills. not carroll and company high end, but ... well, armani collezioni high-end.

3. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

I did have some pictures of the ties I got on "Super (thrift) Bowl" Sunday. It's just of the backs, but you can see the materials.

The Brioni is really nice. I think it's a grenadine. I had just bought a solid brown grenadine type tie from Dillards (a Murano) last week when they were 40% off plus an extra 30%, made the tie $20 instead of $50. An ad in Fri. paper said an extra 65% of, so took the tie back to get a refund and save another $9 bucks, but I read the ad wrong and after the refund, the sales person couldn't re-ring the tie at the cheaper price I had bought it at. Crap... But then I find the Brioni on Sunday! The thrifting gods must have felt my pain and rewarded me with my first Brioni.

Brioni, 2x Stefano Ricci, Zegna (half price)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

there's a pair of wool pants I left behind made for carroll & co... didn't recognize the maker tag so I left them ^^;

SOMEONE has gotta recognize that shirt though - that much handstitching does not come from a "mid-level" maker?

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

carroll and company was the high-end "british-influenced" and trad retailer. bernini is more modern clothing. haven't been in for a long while (why would i with b&s and ebay?), but it was a mix of some really good stuff and a lot of hugo boss-type.

6. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Carrol & Co. is still in business. No need for the past tense.

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

wow! you're right. i thought they'd bit the dust as rodeo turned into a euro-trash shopping mall. sorry!

8. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Brioni does look like a grenadine. The Riccis are nice, but, burn the zegna please!

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

What's sad is the Zegna was more expensive than the Brioni.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Whoah, be careful to double check that one before you list. I'm not sure that's Robert Graham.

(I could be wrong, but double check. I see a lot of shirts with similar labels that first appear to be Robert Graham, but are in fact R and G, or something...)

@mexicutioner: Epaulet? In a thrift store? Epic!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

11. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Picked these up today They are Alden, Foot Balance System, Size 11 A/C, on the 598 last. One of them has a custom foam orthotic system built in, but the other has the orthotic dismantled, and the insole pieces are floating loose. [​IMG]

Def gonna flip them - any thoughts on what I should expect money wise? Also - any thoughts on whether I should tear out the other orthotic system and clean up the glue, or leave them as is? What do I do with the two loose pieces of leather which make up the insole - attach them with a couple dots of shoe goo, or leave them loose?

They look like they were worn once or twice at the most, based on the sole wear.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

those are robert graham. there's also another one that has a globe with R&G in the middle or something like that. just older labels.

13. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

I don't know why I bother, as all my posts get held up for moderator review, then finally get posted two days later, 10 pages back where they would have been if they had been allowed to post when I submitted them...but here goes:

If anyone in LA is looking for a Harris Tweed overcoat, I came across this Sz 42 at the Goodwill on La Brea, just below Wilshire. It's marked at $20. It was just a few hours ago, and it was put out Friday, so it should still be there with the jackets and blazers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's not perfect condition, but there's nothing that anyone would notice.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Really? I'll have to snap a picture the next time I see one. I swear, there's an Indian-made shirt that looks exactly like that! (It's called like R&G fancy LONDON! shirts, y'all... Has all the same RG wackiness, weird, faux-philosophical musings threaded inside, etc.)

Also, hey, look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BAWSE Rugby pants. Flannel. Waist 30. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BAWSE Hickey Freeman, 40-42 R-ish, oldest label. (Thanks, BP!).

Damn...430 posts. Half of which probably said, Damn you, soukooooooooooouliissssss!!!!!!1111

:D

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

also found yesterday, also not in my size (plz to trade):

D'Avenza Roma blue jacket (obviously an orphan). unlike the stunning quality level of the near-new merchandise i have come to be known for 'round the world, this jacket is most definitely not perfect, but i didn't want to leave it at the store given the fact that D'Avenza has been scientifically proven to be Super-Mega Excellent.

here's what's wrong with it:

• the inside lining needs to have the seam re-sewn about two inches (see picture below, i put a highlighter next to the seam for size reference)
    • there's a bit of wear on the right sleeve (see picture below)
    • it's an orphan
    • although it looks like solid blue from a few feet away, the blue fabric has a bit of a stripey pattern (it's not a pinstripe, it's that striping where it's the same color).

here's what's right with it:

• dual vents
    • serious hand-ticking EVERYWHERE, and not the nasty kind you see on Boss and Calvin Klein type caca
    • 3/2 roll
    • 100% wool, judging by the softness i'm guessing it's made out of Super 1,000,000's or thereabouts

given all of the above, this would probably make a pretty badass beater blazer for someone that's just starting out. it's tagged a EU50, and based on the measurements i'm guessing it's somewhere between a 38R and 42R, but i'm a big giant 46R so who knows.

measurements:

• chest p2p: 21
    • shoulder: 20
    • length BOC: 30
    • sleeve length: 23.5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hand-ticking everywhere on this jacket. like i said, it's not in perfect condition and it's an orphan, but from 3-5 feet away it looks like a solid navy blazer and the D'Avenza label on the inside will send all us HF-wearing plebs back into our caves while you scream "SORRY FOR D'AVENZA ROCKING."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.