• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
colgate.gif

Got my first Hermes tie today...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^
colgate.gif

Got my first Hermes tie today...

Congrats, I found my first one, 2 years ago, it wasnt untill 2 months ago that I saw more, but this time there were 6.

mbell

Reaction score
I dropped into NM Last Call for just quick look around yesterday. They had a bin of random accessories all jumbled up. As I rummaged through it I hit upon a bunch of Pantherella socks. After all the markdowns most of them ended up around $3 and some change per pair. One pair was only a little over a dollar. I got 6 pairs of the Pantherellas in blacks and charcoals with subtle patterns and 2 pairs of Jhane Barnes in earth tones.

There were some good quality pocket squares in the bin too, but they were mostly ugly and not marked down a whole lot.

mike

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went back for more today, just to see if there was anything new.
Today I just got ties:
1 RTBOC, very nice woven in stripes, purple and green with some tan in it.$1.22
2 A solid grenadine in a brownish purple from Pink $1.22
3 The best Hermes tie I have ever seen, for $4.00

So, this is why when I sell a suit or something, I always include some decent ties as a gift, I seem to always find 3-4 very nice ties every time or nearly every time I go there.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tommy Hilfiger tattersall buttondown, blue and green stripes, $2.50

I usually don't bother with Hilfiger but this was like new and I have been looking for this color / pattern.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the local salvation army for the first time is a couple months. Picked up a H&M shirts, looked new, for $5 and a RL Rugby shirt for $5 as well. The H&M didnt fit so I'll probably just donate it back. The rugby however is a keeper.
Also behined the register (where they keep some of the "premium" stuff), I noticed a nice looking pair of suede lace ups. I asked to see it and they were Cole Haans in my size and they looked barely used. I looked at the sole to see what the price was and they had it mared for $50!!!! I thought it was a misprint and maybe it was supposed to be $5 so I asked and $50 was indeed the right price. I was flabergasted.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't understand it but I do.... 3 years ago I got something good 90% of the time I visit thrifts ...three years later it is 10% of the time...it's like looking at houses for sale ...a hobby or pastime for the bored...or is it the eBay generation? And the fact that they have become venues where the above $50 shoes is normal behaviour from management.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Just got a Brioni sport coat in the mail, purchased from Ebay. Inside tag says it was custom-made for Frank Abagnale (Catch Me if You Can). The seller was based in Tulsa, and Wikipedia confirms this is where Abagnale currently lives.

that is awesome!

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Stopped by the local salvation army for the first time is a couple months. Picked up a H&M shirts, looked new, for $5 and a RL Rugby shirt for $5 as well. The H&M didnt fit so I'll probably just donate it back. The rugby however is a keeper.
Also behined the register (where they keep some of the "premium" stuff), I noticed a nice looking pair of suede lace ups. I asked to see it and they were Cole Haans in my size and they looked barely used. I looked at the sole to see what the price was and they had it mared for $50!!!! I thought it was a misprint and maybe it was supposed to be $5 so I asked and $50 was indeed the right price. I was flabergasted.

I see a lot of this behavior too. I rarely bother with Salvation Armies anymore because most of them have gone to cherrypicking (what they think is) the best stuff and selling it for inflated prices in special "boutique" areas.

Still, thrift store personnel make lots of mistakes, and they go through management changes with new people who are sometimes more inclined to make it a fairer game. Also, bear in mind that the employees pricing the stuff are usually people who think Tommy Hilfiger is a premium brand. They don't have any exposure to the kinds of labels seen in a NM, Saks, or Barneys, let alone the super-premium stuff loved by the regulars here. I usually see Tommy, Polo, and Macy's-type house labels marked up, then pick up labels like Hermes, Brioni, Zegna, Allen Edmonds, even BB for a steal. And sometimes you get these moments where the well-known labels are there for the taking. A few weeks ago I was in the Goodwill down the road from my house and, behind the counter, saw what could only be a Ferragamo Gancini bit on some gorgeous loafers. I ask the price ... $19.99, but half off that day. The loafers were gorgeous and practically new.

It's always going to be a game of sorting through piles of crap to find the golden nuggets, but they can be found if you're persistent. Most of the time.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I just got back from some thrifting. Picked up a decent Burberrys tie for a buck, and a brand new pair still with tags not even laced, pair of Hanover long wings in Shell cordovan. $75 Doesn't compare to that pair of Lobbs that were found last year for $3 or something like that, but still a good deal. Pretty good find for these parts.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Nordstrom Last Chance comes through again!

Picked up a pair of AE Delrays in Chili for $49.99 today.

The soles are barely even scuffed.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Nordstrom Last Chance comes through again!

Picked up a pair of AE Delrays in Chili for $49.99 today.

The soles are barely even scuffed.

does anyone know of nice thrift stores in the Atlanta metro area? Been looking for some,no luck so far.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
does anyone know of nice thrift stores in the Atlanta metro area? Been looking for some,no luck so far.

Yellow Pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads