The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Had to respond just so you guys didnt get a free post up on me. [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum. All things sell easy at the right price. Hickey Freeman seems to do pretty well on ebay. The B&S here works OK, not great, but it's free so you can't really complain. If you been following this thread for a while you'll have an idea of what to look for, but to get a better idea of what actually sells and prices (you should know the price you want to sell it for before you buy it at the thrift store IMO), research on ebay completed listings. This will give you a very fair market value for what items are selling for. ALSO, HF for example has 7 very easy labels to tell approx how old the item is (not 100% sure the bespoke label is in the right order), but you can see them below. The newer the better of course:

NEW [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] OLD​

I, have been toying with the idea of doing something like this for a while. Here is a very early stage beta version if anyone wants to take a look and give me some feedback/input/help that would be great. Basically a Google document that is editable by all to create a list of suit labels in order of vintage. Something could be done with shoe nail patterns also. I know we have a thread to ask if you have a question and there was an old thread like this with Zegna labels only, but when someone answer a thread, it gets shuffled in the middle pages and not updated on the main page for everyone to see. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EtazSrxIDoKk9Qu4dQ6GZtBxwH0AfcXuRJgAMvuZTiU/edit

2. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Some good news to start the day, booked a trip to London, Amsterdam and Berlin for Spring break (last year, gotta go out with a bang with the friends :slayer:). Thinking about trying to hit Jermyn St. and get a T&A personally made if I can save enough for that and not end up spending it all in Pubs and around town. Anyone from the UK here know some good thrift spots I might be able to hit? A friend and I have a day before everyone else lands and besides walking around (he's been to London before), I'd love to grab some vintage British tweed or church's.

Also, can people keep a lookout for pants size 29/30 Waist (29 preferred). No jeans, but I realize I'm severly lacking in anything outside of some jeans, cords and like two or three wool pants. I'd really like some chino's, khakis, and tweed pants. Also if anyone finds a decent pair of white linen pants (I guess white cotton will do as well, mostly for beach), I'd appreciate the proxy and will of course be willing to reimburse or trade for whatever people like (still have a host of ties, some jackets, few shirts from 15.5/35 - 16.5/41ish, etc.) Can't buy too much this month with this trip so I'm trying to limit it to just proxying and trades.

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

that sounds like a good idea (i actually had a similar idea this morning) but if i were you, i'd restrict the viewing/editing of that doc to people who regularly post in this thread. (i'm not implying that i would qualify, so there's no self-interest involved).

4. Brianpore

Yes, if something pans out I would make it open to public to view and need to be added to edit. Right now it is open to everyone to view/edit as I am just trying to come up with the concept and the more people who can view/edit the basic idea/concept/layout will be better.

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Freaking great idea for a crowdsourced doc.

I like the idea here about access control. What he said -- or set permissions so everyone can view but only experts can edit. Something like that.

I am not an expert, either, but as your doc lays it out...if we find a label that has a date tag, we can add knowledge to the doc if not "the full range of years," a single year for a particular label.

6. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Oooof. I had to take a break there for a few months because life caught up with me. The things you miss.

Dude knew his vintage everything, though, didn't he?

He was anti-"a lot of stuff" as my memory recalls (and I'm sure the record shows)...I have not missed reading through his evening abuse of one poor poster or another.

7. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Be careful about letting "everybody" view it. We don't want thrift store managers with access, now do we?

8. mexicutioner

yeah that was kind of what i was trying to get at. you never want to educate your enemy (other thrifters / store managers / pro thrifters outside of this thread). definitely shouldn't be viewable to anyone other than regular posters to this thread.

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Here's some more old labels (slight variations):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually I'm not sure how old this one is... It's a really nicely made suit with pick stitching on the lapels and a Hickey Freeman logo lining:
    [​IMG]

Don't have a suit pic for this because I think all of these I've found have been orphaned, but the 1155 collection like this tie seems very old:
    [​IMG]

10. Brianpore

This subject comes up often, IMO a) anyone who manages a thrift store either knows the brands and doesn't care, or just doesn't care, b) pro thrifters...I wish they were in this thread if they arn't as this thread is about bragging! & c) your forgetting this is one thread out of an entire forum. I think something like this would be a service to the entire forum community and would not want to limit it to just the people in this thread (very very very small # compared to the forum). As mentioned this was just an idea I've been thinking about and if there is enough interest and help (I personally do not know the age of labels but have tried to learn and research) I will limit access to who can edit it so things are accurate, but it will be viewable to anyone who has the link.

Thanks, not sure of the order of those, but took a guess.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

11. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

12. mexicutioner

while we're on the subject of old vs new hickey freeman: does anyone know if "Hickey Freeman Collection" was at any time Hickey Freeman's mainline, or something equally as good if not better? i've seen several slightly older (10 years or less) HF Collection jackets, and they're as nice or nicer than current HF mainline stuff i have. from what i understand, HF Collection is now one of the diffusion lines (along with LTD) but the slightly older HF Collection stuff i've seen lately definitely doesn't feel "diffusion" to me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

13. Towers

Towers Senior member

I think it might work better in wiki or a simple website format. I feel like the doc format would quickly become bloated and tough to manage, especially if the idea is to crowd-source it.

14. Brianpore

Dont know anything about Wiki, but start something up and lets see how it works.

15. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Brian, this is a really great idea, thanks for putting it together. I would be happy to contribute if I ever learn anything 110%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.