The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Just one size below yours, how badly does it fit? If I found that I would be hurting inside if I had to let it go.

2. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Too tight to make it work. Besides, the hope of finding something in my size keeps me going...

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Okay. HTF do you have time to find and read EVERY reference to you? :paranoia:

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

OK, after proudly posting that my willpower was strong for leaving behind odd suit coats...I caved. I've been on a hot streak at my favorite thrift and like a degenerate gambler, I keep going all in. Today's haul, 3 coats (one rossellini, one canali, one Hickey Freeman that will be dynamite once I hit it with the steamer...details below):

Rossellini on left, Canali on right:
    [​IMG]

Rossellini labels:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK. The Rossellini and Canali fit me, keepers.

The H-F is up for grabs, marked 42R. I am planning to make a Tumblr site for trading probably in the next couple months, I am starting to build a little inventory. But if you have a nice pair of shoes (9D) or a couple Brioni ties (Charvets I like, too) or a couple 15-32 shirts I'd be amenable to swapping the H-F jacket. PM me.

The Canali jacket fits me but one sleeve's too short, I will take it to my tailor to see if that can be let down (seems like there's enough slack for that to happen). It's an odd suitcoat but I also found some BR pants (on the hanger, even the correct length!) that match pretty close so I will definitely "get away with it" for my purposes.

Question: WTF is Rossellini? Seems like a noname Italian maker. Seems pretty well put together and is marked "Hand Tailored" FWIW. Anyone know about it?

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Just got back... three stores real quick tonight produced just this, not complaining but hey, what's with the LLBean love lately?! Size Large, available.

[​IMG]

Cool passes:
    Helmut Lang whiteish/greyish jeans, size 31... wasn't sure if that was mens or womens so I left it.
    A military issue aluminized firefighter's suit - just the coat and pants, no hood. It was all kinds of awesome, great vintage decorator piece etc... which is probably why they priced it at $80. :/ It'd be $40 tomorrow morning but I am not going in at opening just for that... gosh, but it was cool. It'd be awesome in someone's basement or an evil lair... :stirpot:

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Well.. a bad day turns out better than it started.

Thrifted Volvo gets a love tap in the bumper. Now it's "pants on the ground". :fu:

[​IMG]

Then I went to my favorite GW and found 2 pairs of BR cords in my size, a pair of heavy weight, bottle green Canali wool pants and a custom made MTM Brooks Brothers navy nailhead(?) suit from 2002 that will be fitting me within the week after a visit to the tailor.

Eh. The good with the bad.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

7. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Wondered this myself. I think he has minions.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Whats that you guys said?

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

cognitive diSpoonance.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Klobber is thick today, me no understand ....

11. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

There is an a lot of win in this post.

12. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Couple decent finds today. First two aren't my size so will be up in B&S or Ebay soon if anyone is interested. First up is this 40R dark brown Pal Zileri that was in superb condition.
    [​IMG]

At the next store found this flannel wool 40L Samuelsohn which was also immaculate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally a HF Loro Piana Super 130's in my size. Thinking about keeping this one with a bit of tailoring. This thing is sooooooofffttt!
    [​IMG]

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

We leased a 2011 Accord EXL last year and both rear wheel fenders have been dinged in the parking lot. My wife and I have decided this is our last new car because it makes you mad when it happens. It also happened to the two new VW's we leased previously. Out Honda Pilot we bought used, it gets a door ding and I could care less, it has almost 170K on it.

Love the XC Dig...one of my favorite vehicles.

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Thanx. I'm really getting into it. I call it my thrifted luxobeater. Hi miles but fully functional, runs great and it fits my criteria of a car that costs $1000/per year of ownership. If the car lasts two years, I've hit my goal and can keep it or move on to the next one. A relative recently bought a brand new Chrysler 300 HemiSRT8 for around $40K. Great car but by my rules, he'll need to drive it for the next 40 years to get his money out of it. :lol: Then one day it hailed while it was parked outside. Grr.

This little hiccup kind of breaks the mood though. I have learned that all cars are toilet paper to be used and then discarded.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

15. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.