Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I have a few friends that wear a size 14 and 15, they usually order their shoes from a catalog. I have the smallest amongst us at an 11.5....

2. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

I spotted a black Barbour jacket today. It was up pretty high, up on display and I had
    to get a broom handle with a hook on the end to get it down. I opened up the coat
    and saw a $29 price tag and it was half price day today. In my mind it was already
    bought and paid for. Then I reached up with the broom hook and brought it down.
    Even nicer than I thought. The price? Not $29 but $179 =(

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Was this a thrift store?

4. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

This is not a brag, but a PSA. If you're a 9E/9.5D in Allen Edmonds, you might want to check this out. Some guy is selling 5 pairs (plus one mysterious, mislabeled pair that is an 8.5 outlier) for a total of $200. The Cambridges (Shell) don't look very worn, and there is a brand new pair of Park Aves. Those two alone will make the haul worthwhile. I don't know whether he would ship to sell the whole lot at once.
    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/clo/2780490908.html

Geez, I just noticed it was posted a month ago. I hope he still has them. Sorry if not.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

dang that is a sick deal. for someone starting out with building their shoe wardrobe, that would be a great deal.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

If it's cheap, that's always worth a shot with the method... and actually, I have enough Borrelli shirts now I wouldn't mind having one to harvest the buttons off of just in case. Sad thing is, I love that pattern, there may be something wrong with me style-wise though!

Haven't had time to be on much, so here's a few backlogged items in no particular order:

Oxxford patch pockets blazer, 46L... looking at you, jkidd, if we're still on for Saturday?
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed (by request) - 40R, available
    [​IMG]

Willis & Geiger Made in USA cotton sweater in Small, is this like the one you found Brianpore (I think it was?), available
    [​IMG]

LL Bean Norwegian, slightly more recent but still the classic blend made in Norway... oops flash, but it's a really interesting burgundy. Don't think I've seen this color before. Size M, available.
    [​IMG]

<3 this sweater... Aran Crafts made in Ireland wool, size M - shawl collar cable knit cardigan. :slayer: (available)
    [​IMG]

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Wasnt me, but might be interested depending on the measurements and how small of a small it really is...

8. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Yeah I plan on heading up Saturday. Need to bring a load of stuff back from the townhouse.

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:fu::fu::fu:

If you're even considering that one, there's a cool dude in SW&D B&S selling a bad-ass waxed Barbour for $250:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/281373/barbour-wax-flyer-jacket-medium-like-new

Buy it now, before I convince myself it'll fit! :drool:

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I got my Barbour off eBay for about a bit over $200. Had the hood and liner. Sadly if it was in really good shape and it's authentic, $179 is not a bad price.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Yeah, but I imagine (for me -- and probably many others) there's just not that same feeling of discovery when you pull the grail only to discover it's been reasonably priced. I want that video game feeling, that old 8-bit Nintendo Zelda sound when I plunge my hand into the thorns and draw back the legendary tie of Hermes.

doo-dle-oo-dooo!

(see above)

12. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Here are a few recent finds from various states up and down the eastern seaboard. I have tons of new stuff but here are some of my favorites, basically....not including the Borrelli shirt I really need to photograph. :slayer: Don't worry fellow Rochestarians, I don't think any of these were from here. Unfortunately none of these fit me, but I am thinking of trying out the 'new' SF B&S about which I whined a few pages back.

Killer Aquascutum DB in about a 42 or so...possibly new. I have a nice Brown Corneliani DB I need to shoot as well....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Zegna Sport Coats: First is a silk cashmere in 54R (Euro) and second is a also a silk /cashmere in a 52R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chester Barrie 43R 100% Cashmere? Yes sir!

[​IMG]

This is actually one my favorite thrifts, but it's too small. 41L Norman Hilton Flannel Suit, flat front pants, double vented w/ hanger. Also found a lighter weight 43.

[​IMG]

Okay, one more. Canali Proposta in 50R....Wool/Cashmere...second pic shows color

[​IMG][​IMG]

Enough bragging, time for a virtual thrift opportunity. Here is an overcoat made locally that I fell in love with, purchased for myself, but it simply doesn't fit. If you wear a 41-42 suit this is probably for you. I will try to get measurements, but I am offering this at thrift price for someone looking to buy for themselves. I am basically selling at a fraction of my cost + shipping....hopefully no one minds a blatent 'sale' here, but I thought it would be fun to give the opportunity to thrift in the thrift thread. Partially canvassed, hook and button in the back, etc. etc.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Awww, that Zegna with the windowpane is babetastic. 52EU is a rotten size, it should have been 56EU :(

14. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

If it was a 54L you could have seen a picture of it hanging in my closet. :slayer:

15. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Picked up these vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings today. I dunno when they were made, but it was a while ago (can anyone date the window tag?).

Here's my question... what the heck do I do with them? I don' know how to wear them, or even if it would be advisable to wear them at all. I'm thinking about flipping them, unless anyone has any outfit suggestions I might try.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.