The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I have a few friends that wear a size 14 and 15, they usually order their shoes from a catalog. I have the smallest amongst us at an 11.5....

2. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

I spotted a black Barbour jacket today. It was up pretty high, up on display and I had
    to get a broom handle with a hook on the end to get it down. I opened up the coat
    and saw a $29 price tag and it was half price day today. In my mind it was already
    bought and paid for. Then I reached up with the broom hook and brought it down.
    Even nicer than I thought. The price? Not $29 but $179 =(

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Was this a thrift store?

4. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

This is not a brag, but a PSA. If you're a 9E/9.5D in Allen Edmonds, you might want to check this out. Some guy is selling 5 pairs (plus one mysterious, mislabeled pair that is an 8.5 outlier) for a total of $200. The Cambridges (Shell) don't look very worn, and there is a brand new pair of Park Aves. Those two alone will make the haul worthwhile. I don't know whether he would ship to sell the whole lot at once.
    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/clo/2780490908.html

Geez, I just noticed it was posted a month ago. I hope he still has them. Sorry if not.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

dang that is a sick deal. for someone starting out with building their shoe wardrobe, that would be a great deal.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

If it's cheap, that's always worth a shot with the method... and actually, I have enough Borrelli shirts now I wouldn't mind having one to harvest the buttons off of just in case. Sad thing is, I love that pattern, there may be something wrong with me style-wise though!

Haven't had time to be on much, so here's a few backlogged items in no particular order:

Oxxford patch pockets blazer, 46L... looking at you, jkidd, if we're still on for Saturday?
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed (by request) - 40R, available
    [​IMG]

Willis & Geiger Made in USA cotton sweater in Small, is this like the one you found Brianpore (I think it was?), available
    [​IMG]

LL Bean Norwegian, slightly more recent but still the classic blend made in Norway... oops flash, but it's a really interesting burgundy. Don't think I've seen this color before. Size M, available.
    [​IMG]

<3 this sweater... Aran Crafts made in Ireland wool, size M - shawl collar cable knit cardigan. :slayer: (available)
    [​IMG]

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Wasnt me, but might be interested depending on the measurements and how small of a small it really is...

8. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Yeah I plan on heading up Saturday. Need to bring a load of stuff back from the townhouse.

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:fu::fu::fu:

If you're even considering that one, there's a cool dude in SW&D B&S selling a bad-ass waxed Barbour for $250:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/281373/barbour-wax-flyer-jacket-medium-like-new

Buy it now, before I convince myself it'll fit! :drool:

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I got my Barbour off eBay for about a bit over $200. Had the hood and liner. Sadly if it was in really good shape and it's authentic, $179 is not a bad price.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Yeah, but I imagine (for me -- and probably many others) there's just not that same feeling of discovery when you pull the grail only to discover it's been reasonably priced. I want that video game feeling, that old 8-bit Nintendo Zelda sound when I plunge my hand into the thorns and draw back the legendary tie of Hermes.

doo-dle-oo-dooo!

(see above)

12. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Here are a few recent finds from various states up and down the eastern seaboard. I have tons of new stuff but here are some of my favorites, basically....not including the Borrelli shirt I really need to photograph. :slayer: Don't worry fellow Rochestarians, I don't think any of these were from here. Unfortunately none of these fit me, but I am thinking of trying out the 'new' SF B&S about which I whined a few pages back.

Killer Aquascutum DB in about a 42 or so...possibly new. I have a nice Brown Corneliani DB I need to shoot as well....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Zegna Sport Coats: First is a silk cashmere in 54R (Euro) and second is a also a silk /cashmere in a 52R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chester Barrie 43R 100% Cashmere? Yes sir!

[​IMG]

This is actually one my favorite thrifts, but it's too small. 41L Norman Hilton Flannel Suit, flat front pants, double vented w/ hanger. Also found a lighter weight 43.

[​IMG]

Okay, one more. Canali Proposta in 50R....Wool/Cashmere...second pic shows color

[​IMG][​IMG]

Enough bragging, time for a virtual thrift opportunity. Here is an overcoat made locally that I fell in love with, purchased for myself, but it simply doesn't fit. If you wear a 41-42 suit this is probably for you. I will try to get measurements, but I am offering this at thrift price for someone looking to buy for themselves. I am basically selling at a fraction of my cost + shipping....hopefully no one minds a blatent 'sale' here, but I thought it would be fun to give the opportunity to thrift in the thrift thread. Partially canvassed, hook and button in the back, etc. etc.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Awww, that Zegna with the windowpane is babetastic. 52EU is a rotten size, it should have been 56EU :(

14. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

If it was a 54L you could have seen a picture of it hanging in my closet. :slayer:

15. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Picked up these vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings today. I dunno when they were made, but it was a while ago (can anyone date the window tag?).

Here's my question... what the heck do I do with them? I don' know how to wear them, or even if it would be advisable to wear them at all. I'm thinking about flipping them, unless anyone has any outfit suggestions I might try.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.