The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Lots of rage-inducing moments today, but I mostly just lol'd about them since I've had such great luck lately I feel in no position to bitch.

The misses:
    • Really nice Oxxford 2 button...realize it's an orphan. Oh well, it's a passable color as an SC. Moth hole near lapel. Grrr.
    • Gieves & Hawkes olive green DB jacket orphan...no pants. Ughhh.
    • Nice Navy with raised stripes Canali jacket...ugh no pants. Go to the pants. What's this? Canali pants, woot!! Nope...pants orphans from a different Canali jacket. DAMNIT. Oh well, I really need some navy pants and these are my size so I'll just use them as trouser separates. Notice huge hole in the front. FUUUUUUUUUU!
    • Awesome Navy staple BB Madison 1818 jacket. DAMNIT, orphan. Another identical one, right next to it. DAMNIT, also orphan. Go to pants....YESSSS Madison 1818 pants! Also in navy!....wait, you shitting me...also navy, but a slightly different colored navy. Yep...2 orphan BB Madison 1818 jackets, 1 orphan BB Madison 1818 pants, all navy, none with matches. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Like I said, I can lol about it all since I've been quite lucky lately...don't want to disrupt the balance and upset the thrifting gods.

Gets:

[​IMG]

Nice H&S button down. First 3 button barrel cuff shirt I've seen.

[​IMG]

This thing is quite weird - It's a "Zegna soft" 60/40 cotton/wool (!!!) jacket. Seems pretty casual. Weird so I had to get it. There was an identical one as well.

[​IMG]

Ties

[​IMG]

Zegna, Zegna, Tyrwhitt (don't laugh, I like it!), Lanvin, Lanvin. I think Lanvin doesn't get nearly enough love. These are the 2nd and 3rd ties of theirs I've picked up, and I love them. They are softer than any other printed ties I own aside from maybe the Hermes I have.

[​IMG]

Wayyyy overpaid for this Hugo Boss herringbone SC, but it's super soft, recent (I think), and it fits me perfectly, so I like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what to think of this very old Canali 85/15 wool/cashmere SC. Pretty nice but obviously pretty old. Can't tell much more since the content tag is ripped in half.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also had a light blue staple Zegna "Made in Italy" button down but I randomly ran into one of my friends who was shopping for clothes for a new job he starts on Monday and I gave it to him. I tried to explain to him that it was the best shirt left in the store but his eyes just kinda glossed over so I doubt I made an impact, haha.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

2. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

^^^^ Nice score on the Tyrwhitt tie! I'll admit that I really like Tyrwhitt ties. Ever own a Tyrwhitt "English Seven Fold" tie? It's fantastic! It's actually an 11 fold! :happy:

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

haha, I actually really liked 2 other Tyrwhitt's I found there in similarly extravagent colors, but they both had stains on them [​IMG]. I'm unashamedly a fan of their shirts and ties. Nope haven't owned/seen a 7-fold from them...the only 7 fold I've ever even found was a Kiton (lol, I've been spoiled).

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

I really like their shirts. They have great colors and patterns.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I almost thrifted a car once at a yard sale. I bought a few pairs of Ferragamo shoes and the garage was hidden 'round back. I peeked in and asked if there was anything in there for sale, and he said everything. I threw back the cover on the car and there sat a 1961 Mercedes (Hai Dig) - I forgot the class of it though. 4 door sedan, it ran, big flat grill. awesome pimp ass car. Only problem was the floorboards were rotted out and you could pretty much see the street from the back seat floor. I asked how much for shits and giggles, and he told me 2 grand. Im sure I could have got him down to 1500 if I tried, but that was not in the cards at the time.

Anyway, no thrifts for me today, but I am hella proud of these which I won today :

Kiton

Goyard

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

:eek: $150 for postage.

Kiton = nice price :slayer:. Double breasted = different, but in a very good way, congrads on this. I prefer DB to SB, maybe I am crazy, who knows. Anyway Lapels are awesome :happy: Chest seems a little large for you Spoo, you gonna get that tailored down?

7. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Actually I think it was there last week also. Probably saw 4-5 in the last couple days. guess I'll make a pre-super bowl trip.

8. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Klobber...you keeping the Barbour?

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Hes in Syracuse, so he said he would refund any over charges. However, that thing is like a coffin, its tremendous - and all solid wood. I have a collection of antique Goyard/Louis Vuitton trunks and steamers, and this is going to be awesome with them. Unless my wife freaks out and makes me sell it. :)

The Kiton, yeah - a bit big. Originally bought with the intent to sell, but now I am not sure.

10. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Thinking about going back for a Corbin navy blazer. Trad as hell. 3/2 roll, natural shoulder, patch pockets and fully canvassed. Fit well except a wee bit short. If I hadn't just bought a Norman Hilton blazer I would have pounced.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

I prefer DB as well, except when I'm sitting... What do you do about that?

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I prefer a DB in theory....I just need to find a DB that fits me like a mothafuckin' glove, then I will. Any day now...

And yes, sitting screws everything up.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Prolly 4 teh best. You'll have your hands full when you finally cop that prancing horse.
    [​IMG]

Two bills?! Okay. That's impressive. Big lapels AND side vents? The "waist suppression" discussion should prove interesting! :laugh:

Way nice find but, yo...?

Bid history:
    1 bid
    Way to out bid everyone!

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Sounds nice. You can't have too many navy blazers, that's my motto this evening.

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Had you in mind when I picked up. Will post pics tommorrow sometime. This piece is incredible. I had a mind to keep it for myself and then I realized I live in California where this kind of heavy duty sweater is waaay overkill for any cool weather we get here.

Cool on the antique collection there ;) . People like to trash Vuitton, but for sure they built stuff to last. Do the super old pieces still have the LV monogram or is that more a recent fad?
    Keep the Kiton if you can. If you can fit it well, you would rock the crap out of it. At least wear it for half a season before flipping, it would not be proper to get something cool like that and not wear it for a bit. Not a problem, since it is not NWT.

I am the sort of fellow that always removes his jacket when sitting, whether a doubler or a single breasted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.