The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

my philosophy -- I'm not endorsing it, I'm just saying it works for me -- in general is: This stuff is meant to be worn. Especially if it's been thrifted. Who gives a crap? There will be more. There will be replacements down the road. Live in the moment, enjoy your finds.

That really helps when I see my kid splatter ketchup on a cashmere sweater my wife's wearing. I get less angry/disappointed/whatever, and get back to enjoying the night out at dinner, faster.

Also, I've thrifted several cashmere sweaters for my six-year-old daughter (which begs the question, who in their right minds, even if they were filthy rich, would buy something like that? Doomed to failure) and this philosophy has really come in handy with that.

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Find out her sizes and either commit them to memory or write them down. In my cae, SWMBO is a size 8 in most clothing as well as footwear so it's easy for me. 32 inch waist. Nothing wrong with keeping a cheat sheet in your wallet unless you gots a lil sumpin sumpin on the side :eek: . Also, other females who may reside with you such as HER MOTHER should also be considered when thrifting although you can up the ratio to 20:1.

I started with shoes. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be able to recognize shoes in the size range you seek, safely ignoring the smaller or larger sizes. I looked strictly for her size and ignored anything made in China. That's not to say that there are not good Chinese made shoes but there's a significantly higher chance that you'll pay $6 for a pair of used shoes that she could have bought brand new on sale at Payless for $10, making it somewhat pointless.

Here's my footwear checklist, more or less in order.

1. Size. If it's not an 8, I move on.
    2. Condition. If it's not pristine, (possible re-heeling is okay), I move on.
    3. Maker. She adores Etienne Aigner and likes Talbots. If you come across an excellent pair of Bass Weejuns in her size, GRAB THEM.
    4. Country of Origin in order of preference: 1. Italy 2. Spain 3. Brazil 4. USA 5. India 6. Everywhere else except for ... 7. China

As for clothing, I skimmed the tops, looking for the same brands that I wear.

• Brooks Brothers (for women!) which is somewhat rare.
    • Polo
    • Talbots
    • Pink (!) yes..they make women's blouses.
    • Dry cleaning tags...sure sign of well cared for women's wear.
    • Anything else that I'd buy for me.

Pants:

• Dry cleaning tags like above.
    • Pockets: She likes them so if there's none, I move on.
    • Fabric (in order): Wool, cotton, silk, nylon, polyester. Yes, poly/nylon is perfectly acceptable in women's wear.

Jeans:

• Polo jeans
    • Levis 514 (slim fit/straight leg...NOT your average mom jean)

The key is to not go too wild with your choices. Don't worry about color. She'll know what to do with whatever you buy her.

Go forth and be fruitful!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

Cool, thanks! I think I'm gonna try shoes... wimmenz styles above the feet are a mystery

4. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

look for something with heavy armpit staining ... women love that

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

My pleasure. I go for low to mid heel heights. Mostly I'm looking for pumps along these lines as well as open toes and sling backs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These would do, as well.

[​IMG]

BTW, regarding the brands in my previous post:

The Ralph Lauren jeans are a more full and comfortable cut while the Levis are a mature yet slim fit.
    Due to peer pressure, I admit to buying her a couple of pairs of Seven for All Mankind jeans so she'd look like her circle of friends. :D

I mentioned the other brands of clothing because they are mostly bulletproof as far as quality and styling. Branch out as you gain knowledge and confidence.

Here's a pic of us at a recent cool weather car event that we attended.

[​IMG]

I'm wearing Lands' End/Levis/Club Room and she's in Pink/Polo and some shoes of which I've lost track. We're standing beside my recently acquired high mileage yet minty 2000 Volvo X70 Cross Country that I thrifted for $2K. The picture was taken with my pawn shop $40 camera that retailed for $200 3 years ago.

I LOVE THIS STUFF! :lol:

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Wait... How do you thrift a car?

7. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

Fathers Joes?

8. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Same here, hit up a few but nothing really. Picked up this mostly against my better judgement, guessing it's not worth much

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Considered a very large pair of Technics SB-K45 speakers for $30, but don't really need anymore large stereo speakers at the moment.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Earlier this week I bought two leather club chairs from Classic Leather, Inc of Hickory, NC, dated 1982, for $25/ea. I still have to clean and condition them. I plan on using Leather Therapy.

[​IMG]

10. catside

catside Senior member

The trick to shop for the women in your life in a thrift shop is (for many) : DO NOT!! :teach:

11. theinternet

theinternet Well-Known Member

Found these three blazers/SC's at a Goodwill 3 or 4 weeks ago and finally had a chance to pick them up from the tailor's this afternoon. I am not familiar with any of the makers, but all three now fit me like a glove. Can anyone give me any info on these?

Crocodile, size small. Shoulders and mid section fit perfectly, had to increase the arm length a bit. I know its no gem, but I am happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No clue on this one: Cheung Hing Tailor, Hong Kong, custom made for some dude. Could have been made custom for me, the fit was spot on. I LOVE this piece. Absolutely adore it. The quality and workmanship is outstanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuart Shaines, NH, USA. The quality of materials seems mid/lower-level, nothing special. Really love the look and fit of this one though, and only had to increase the cuff length.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. thrift-fu

thrift-fu Active Member

I started a new job, and it's really cut into my thrifting time. I managed to check out a couple of stores yesterday, and found something in each.

Samuelsohn sport coat 40 short

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And what has to be one of my nicest finds yet, a Hackett sport coat. Impeccable pattern matching, surgeons cuffs, hacking pockets, 42 made in the UK. It's in great shape, the only issue I can spot is that it seems to be a 3-roll-2 that has had the buttonhole-side lapel pressed as a standard 3 button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Available? Measurements? DIBS! [​IMG]

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

That's a whole different forum.

:teach:

See below. Nat's the M.A.N!

15. MattR

MattR Senior member

:crackup:

Nothing like another person's musk to set the mood.

These are AWESOME. Some day...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.