• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

All that labor, and no fruit to show for it. :confused:

I did score the polo suit, 41R which I was going to consign to eBay (upon encouragement) because I am too lazy to do it myself...but the other 2 polo suits I found and posted about yesterday were marked 40R and tailored more to 38-39...close but just a tad snug... so I tried it on real quick and it fits great (I'm 20lb too heavy right now, working on that with the weights and cardio, heh).

So I'll take it to my tailor for a little sleeve shortening, pants shortening and resewing that inside button (heavy wool DB suit). The only problem: It's pretty loud (yellow with brown and blue houndstooth) that I can't wear it places where it's inappropriate to stick out like a sore thumb (i.e. church, business meetings).

Mainy, this Polo is made in USA, while the other 2 (obviously the same guy with the tailoring) were Canada. THis one says on the label: Polo by Ralph Lauren for Perkins Shearer (check out this story on the relationship between RL and this Denver store...and this if you want to get a couple laughs). The AAAC vs SF rivalry reminds me of Michigan-Ohio State or Red Sox-Yankees or Giants-Dodgers, the more I read this stuff.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
I may be new here, but as far as I was concerned, Cricketeer used to make solid quality garments with great cuts. I apologize if they were truly orphaned Cricketeer, but it sounds as if you were just trying to throw them in a direction of not being what you consider to be an "appropriate" piece. I come across a few Cricketeer Gun Club Jackets here and there, and they are some of the nicer ones I have handled. FTFY

Uh, sorry to tread on your beloved brand. I was just PMing with The WGP, talking about how people on this board have in some ways become unjustified snobs about materials and construction, critiquing old vs. new Borrelli, for example. Seriously, if you bought that **** for 5 bucks, it's awesome!!!!

On the other hand, if you bought a Cricketeer piece for 5 bucks, that's one less spot in your closet for something you'd actually wear. Maybe I've never given them a fair shake, but every one that's passed through my hands felt like it had sandpaper quilted into the cloth. They're not even as good as Jos. A Bank and I see at least as many of those in every store I go to.

And so I haven't been alive for as long as some members here have been wearing quality suits, but I'm sure if you ever went to a mass merchant department store for your suits at any time of your life, you're glad that phase is kaput. At the ripe age of 26 and with the knowledge I've acquired here, I certainly am never going to step foot in any store below the Nordstrom price point to buy an off the rack suit. And given that our thrift stores stand at this crossroads of 1970s Sears and recent Neiman Marcus, we have the right and the prerogative to be picky. If you don't see that luxe Isaia tux you've always dreamed of, there's no salesman pressuring you to buy a Lacrosse two piece polyester abortion. Suck it up and stop protecting undeserving product.

I passed on an orphaned Givenchy jacket from S/S 2008 because it wasn't my size and there was a tiny hole in it. SEVEN DOLLARS. I would do a spit take if someone told me they "scored" any of the numerous fused brands we see on the daily for $7. Wouldn't you? FTFU.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Uh, sorry to tread on your beloved brand. I was just PMing with The WGP, talking about how people on this board have in some ways become unjustified snobs about materials and construction, critiquing old vs. new Borrelli, for example. Seriously, if you bought that **** for 5 bucks, it's awesome!!!!

On the other hand, if you bought a Cricketeer piece for 5 bucks, that's one less spot in your closet for something you'd actually wear. Maybe I've never given them a fair shake, but every one that's passed through my hands felt like it had sandpaper quilted into the cloth. They're not even as good as Jos. A Bank and I see at least as many of those in every store I go to.

And so I haven't been alive for as long as some members here have been wearing quality suits, but I'm sure if you ever went to a mass merchant department store for your suits at any time of your life, you're glad that phase is kaput. At the ripe age of 26 and with the knowledge I've acquired here, I certainly am never going to step foot in any store below the Nordstrom price point to buy an off the rack suit. And given that our thrift stores stand at this crossroads of 1970s Sears and recent Neiman Marcus, we have the right and the prerogative to be picky. If you don't see that luxe Isaia tux you've always dreamed of, there's no salesman pressuring you to buy a Lacrosse two piece polyester abortion. Suck it up and stop protecting undeserving product.

I passed on an orphaned Givenchy jacket from S/S 2008 because it wasn't my size and there was a tiny hole in it. SEVEN DOLLARS. I would do a spit take if someone told me they "scored" any of the numerous fused brands we see on the daily for $7. Wouldn't you? FTFU.

It is not my beloved brand but just because something isn't Brioni doesn't mean it isn't quality and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion on its quality. Further, I am sure we can argue all day on whether it is better quality than Jos. A. Bank to no avail. "I was just PMing with The WGP, talking about how people on this board have in some ways become unjustified snobs about materials and construction, critiquing old vs. new Borrelli, for example.-THIS" This is basically what I was getting at and I can't argue with you there.

FTFU-Does this mean you are drunk?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, not technically part of today's haul, but it was bought on Ebay and arrived today: Burgundy velvet blazer (by Kenneth Cole, FWIW), peak lapel 1 button with working cuffs and ticket pocket. A beauty.

Here's the haul (once again with apologies for the crappy photo quality):
Ben Sherman (15.5 x 34/35, barrel cuff with contrast), BB mainline (17 x 35, french cuff), Ike Behar white twill (16.5 x 35, barrel cuff)

Vintage (1981) Hickey blue pinstripe. ~42R x 36 x 30 with a 11.5" rise. Flat front trousers, no cuff, jacket half lined. Suit is in unbelievable condition -- not a single flaw I can find. Hardly seems worn.

Hickey silver label Loro Piana gray with faint blue windowpane (color doesn't come through in pics; tagged 44R; exact measurements on request)

Racing Green mid-brown with chocolate and blue windowpane (tagged 42R, fits true; exact measurements on request)

Though I like it all, I need new clothes like a hole in my head, so if you're interested, bring on the offer.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Quote:

It is not my beloved brand but just because something isn't Brioni doesn't mean it isn't quality and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion on its quality. Further, I am sure we can argue all day on whether it is better quality than Jos. A. Bank to no avail. "I was just PMing with The WGP, talking about how people on this board have in some ways become unjustified snobs about materials and construction, critiquing old vs. new Borrelli, for example.-THIS" This is basically what I was getting at and I can't argue with you there.

FTFU-Does this mean you are drunk?

I am having a beer, but am by no means drunk. I always assumed FTFY meant "eff this, eff you", which I quite like. It probably comes out as something more bland and less accusatory...so forget my long winded response if it's something different.

I enjoy being a snob to an extent, but simply based on the fact that we shop at thrift stores with pride, the kind of posturing that some people do is a little on the insane side. Hating on mediocre brands is by no means extreme. Back to regularly scheduled programming?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright so here's some **** I'm pretty excited about for "cool factor" alone. Yes, I may have had a drink or two (or three...who's counting??) before posting, but I still think this **** rules.

This is the most badass Southwick piece I've ever seen and it's super recent. Four words: wood (?????) buttons & patch pockets. Oh hells yes, did I whet your appetite yet?

Blizam. Badass ridiculously recent (I've never seen a Southwick content tag like this one, so I can only assume so) Southwick SC with FU buttons and FU leather patch elbows. Charcoal with glenplaid pattern, pure bad assery.

Blizam! No ******* clue what these buttons are made of.

LOLOL

You know **** is going well for you when your jacket is named "the Player"

Numero dos: OLD AS DIRT Brooks Brothers 3 roll 2 "346" suit...but apparently when "346" was badass - 3 piece, feels like brushed wool, HEAVY as all sin. This thing is a gorgeous gorgeous tank. Anyone good at dating US union labels please see below. Any clues on the date of this bad boy? Regardless, it's pure bad-assery....seriously, 4-POCKET VEST - WHO DOES THAT?!?!

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I am having a beer, but am by no means drunk. I always assumed FTFY meant "eff this, eff you", which I quite like. It probably comes out as something more bland and less accusatory...so forget my long winded response if it's something different.

I enjoy being a snob to an extent, but simply based on the fact that we shop at thrift stores with pride, the kind of posturing that some people do is a little on the insane side. Hating on mediocre brands is by no means extreme. Back to regularly scheduled programming?
It means "fix this for you" I thought. But yeah sure, "eff you."
rotflmao.gif

But your right, we shop at thrift stores and I am definitely not trying to claim roots to some kind of Cricketeer movement. I just think it sucks when a once quality products get a bad rep. for running out of money, selling all off their assets including their warehouse to Hugo Boss, and having their name bought by Men's Warehouse, which is why the jackets we are feeling are tougher than sandpaper.

Oh yeah, I also thought that "FTFU" mean you were eff'd up or something. Correct me if I am wrong. Good side-talk and happy thrifting!

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice 3 piece, but I think four pockets was somewhere between common and standard. Size?

As to abbreviations, FTFY is "fixed that for you."

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright so here's some **** I'm pretty excited about for "cool factor" alone. Yes, I may have had a drink or two (or three...who's counting??) before posting, but I still think this **** rules.

This is the most badass Southwick piece I've ever seen and it's super recent. Four words: wood (?????) buttons & patch pockets. Oh hells yes, did I whet your appetite yet?

Blizam. Badass ridiculously recent (I've never seen a Southwick content tag like this one, so I can only assume so) Southwick SC with FU buttons and FU leather patch elbows. Charcoal with glenplaid pattern, pure bad assery.

Blizam! No ******* clue what these buttons are made of.

LOLOL

You know **** is going well for you when your jacket is named "the Player"

Numero dos: OLD AS DIRT Brooks Brothers 3 roll 2 "346" suit...but apparently when "346" was badass - 3 piece, feels like brushed wool, HEAVY as all sin. This thing is a gorgeous gorgeous tank. Anyone good at dating US union labels please see below. Any clues on the date of this bad boy? Regardless, it's pure bad-assery....seriously, 4-POCKET VEST - WHO DOES THAT?!?!

Goddamn! That Southwick is awesome! Wish it was a 41R... Are those buttons made of horn? Like literally just slices of a horn?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, I really have no idea. I've looked them over and tried to figure it out. They're quite lightweight and semi-transluscent...they're actually like those slices of quartz rock/geode you used to see in science class when you were a kid. I can't make ******* odds or ends of it, but I love every minute of it. And they appear to be natural/not manufactured as evidenced by the non-uniform shapes and the super weirdly shaped one on the sleeve. This piece is just a total mindfuck overall. Definitely have never seen anything like it...I paused and was puzzling it to myself in the middle of the store; I must have looked insane talking to myself, lol.

Goddamn! That Southwick is awesome! Wish it was a 41R... Are those buttons made of horn? Like literally just slices of a horn?

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll post pictures when I can get some natural light, but this week was ok-to-marginal. Things I found:

Recent, mainline Marc Jacobs shirt
Nice pair of olive Zegna chinos (34x34)
Nice pair of Orvis duck canvass chinos (36x34)
Recent Canali dress shirt (16.5/42)
Baller Hickey Freeman plain sportcoat (46)
AE Polo's (10.5D)
Bally Draco loafers (43)
NWT Vineyards Vines tie

Everything except the Marc Jacobs shirt and AE's will likely be available on here or BS.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, here are close-ups of the buttons since I'm getting such a kick out of investigating this piece:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll post pictures when I can get some natural light, but this week was ok-to-marginal. Things I found:
Recent, mainline Marc Jacobs shirt
Nice pair of olive Zegna chinos (34x34)
Nice pair of Orvis duck canvass chinos (36x34)
Recent Canali dress shirt (16.5/42)
Baller Hickey Freeman plain sportcoat (46)
AE Polo's (10.5D)
Bally Draco loafers (43)
NWT Vineyards Vines tie
Everything except the Marc Jacobs shirt and AE's will likely be available on here or BS.

What color are the Polo's? Are they shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads