The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Against my better judgement (I have a job to hold down, after all), I went out this morning. Apart from a couple of shirts I'm still mulling (Nothing too exciting: Ike Behar white twill, 17 x 35; Ben Sherman blue gingham with a woven overcheck, 15.5 x 35; BB main line blue/red stripe 17x34), I picked up a vintage (but not dated) Hickey custom tailored blue pinstripe 2 button with flat front trousers in a ~42R x 36 x 31. They'd marked the jacket and trousers as orphans, each well priced (and one half off!). Next I picked up a very nice mid-brown linen blazer with light blue and chocolate overcheck by Racing Green. My subsequent research indicates this is no great shakes (feel free to disagree), but it's my size (42R), looks pretty good and was cheap. Finally, I found a recent Hickey silver label 44R made of Loro Piana wool, mid-gray with blue windowpane, full canvas with pick stitching. Tore the store apart looking for the pants, but no dice. I nearly re-orphaned it, but I couldn't let it go. I'll probably keep it, but if anyone's interested, PM me; I could make it available.
    Let me know if anyone wants pics.

2. catside

catside Senior member

You know we want pics, whatever it is.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. GHo

GHo Senior member

Three stores and nothing but junk

This town sucks for thrifting.

4. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

Three stores and picked up something that I actually needed: Cedar shoe trees :slayer:

Left a Barneys Italian made 3 button cashmere jacket in 56 eu, was kinda furry and not my style or size.

5. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

I went to 14 thrift stores today and didn't find anything worthwhile.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ We probably hit a few of the same stores. I hit a total of 10 stores this week and found a single Zegna jacket. Came up empty handed today. This whole week has been dry. Talked to the manager at the Salvation Army and they said the downtown warehouse (central distribution center) is empty. Wonder if the tax season donations this year weren't too good...

7. vexco

vexco Senior member

These are the main pickups of the week. Everything is available. Measurements available if interested.

Sulka 100% cashmere SC - unvented, working cuffs, 38us/48eu. stain on cuff but may come off with dry cleaning?

[​IMG][​IMG]

H. Freeman and Son 100% cashmere SC - single vent. fits me around a 44r but has no size tagged.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hickey Freeman Glen-Spray wool topcoat. This thing is heavy and very very warm. Can anyone help me date this?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suit - 46L, single vented. Pants are 38 waist, flat front.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Royal Ballater 100% Cashmere sweater. Made in Scotland. size 46...only listing this to see if anyone knows anything about the company itself.

[​IMG]

I'd kill about now to be able to find a decent cardigan or two and pants that fit me(34x34). I'm also always looking for Converse Chuck Taylor's if anyone comes across those in a size 12(not sure where to ask for a proxy?). Not in the plans! Found a few new shops to hit this weekend so here's hoping for some better luck.

Oh, also picked up a couple of ties:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Hey ! My 1st post here. Loooong time thrifter, short time lurker here. Today, my son (18 months) and I went out on the hunt. Picked up some Kirkland boot cut jeans, a Haggar shirt and some chinese size 6 shoes ! WHoohoo !
    J/K.....I got a Charles Tyrwhitt window pane slim fit shirt w/ french cuffs. A Royal Classics Tom James shirt, a Hickey Freeman casual button down (Italy). Some Bostonian Crown Windsors Sz 12m made in Italy. Also, a Burberry 100% wool double breasted blazer, minty ! Looking forward to chatting it up here! [​IMG]

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Played hooky from work (not really, it was an optional day), and hiked 9.5 miles round trip through a blizzard. Seriously, there are 15 inches of snow on the ground and it's still snowing, through tomorrow morning at the least.

Hit two stores, the first of which produced:

an Arnold Brant, unvented, 3/2, 100% Cashmere Loro Piana SC. At least I think it's a sport coat, given that the pattern would be severe overkill for a complete suit. It is far too large for me, possibly a 48L and is thus up for grabs.

I also snagged my first Willis & Geiger piece, a very heavyweight cotton henley sweatshirt. It was dirt cheap, so I thought I'd take a chance on it putting me back in the black for the day.

Finally, a really basic cotton double vented Uniqlo SC in small. It'll be a good summer beater piece when I'm hanging out with friends and the night usually turns towards hopping fences and skinny dipping.

The best part of this store was overhearing a couple trying to find the man a proper jacket for some sort of semi-formal event tomorrow. The statement I related with, and what made me step in was when the woman said "Fine, if you don't want my help, why are we here?" There was general confusion on both sides as to what would make an appropriate piece, what fit, what was worth them coming into the store, etc. I looked him up and down and estimated him to be between a 44R and 46R, then showed him this badass Hickey Freeman for Nordstrom SC. I tried to steer him away from all of the orphaned Cricketeer jackets he was trying on and into a metal button festooned piece in a fine wool. I think he might have snagged it, though he didn't seem terribly impressed when he threw it on. The woman kept trying to critique the SC as he was inspecting the fit as if it was some sort of hypercolor plaid Ed Hardy jacket.

The second store I hit only yielded a faded old Sulka tie, which I left and then marched home.

10. tben

tben Senior member

I may be new here, but as far as I was concerned, Cricketeer used to make solid quality garments with great cuts. I apologize if they were truly orphaned Cricketeer, but it sounds as if you were just trying to throw them in a direction of not being what you consider to be an "appropriate" piece. I come across a few Cricketeer Gun Club Jackets here and there, and they are some of the nicer ones I have handled. FTFY

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

welcome!

Clearly you've read/lurked a lot longer than I did before I started chattily posting. You had me going, heh

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

This is not what I want to hear :plain:

Would still be fun to see Nataku and dahl though :slayer:

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Anyone else looking to mark this one off their list: I signed up for Stamps.com and got a FREE (well, sort of; I had to pay $10 for S&H) 5 lb scale.

Pics of today's haul in the works....

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Story of my day, went back to grab the other polo wool/cashmere houndstooth suit I'd mentioned yesterday. It was there but...dammit if there wasn't a handmade chocolate italian suit coat (brand I can't remember and hadn't heard of...but this was an excellent coat and my knowledge of lesser known italian makers isn't comprehensive for sure) in my size.

I killed at least a half hour going through all the pants 3 times (big store, 6 or 8 rows!) and every nook and cranny of the suit rack (floor, too) and even considered some Banana Republic and DKNY pants that were pretty damn close in color and right sized...but gave up. And left it. It took more willpower than I've exercised at a thrift store to leave it. Just wouldn't come close to passing as a sport coat...but even if it did I'm trying to stick to the veterans' advice of not mixing odd suit coats...tough to do when the thrift stores give you half a tremendous suit.

There will be more/better tomorrow, I keep telling myself.

15. plei89

plei89 Senior member

All that labor, and no fruit to show for it. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.