The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I keep telling myself to keep my mouth shut in the stores but when I find something that I would buy for myself except that it's far too large, I tend to look around for a guy it will fit and suggest it. They probably think I'm cruising for strange. I dunno. [​IMG]
    One pair of AE's is too much to have in one's hands when trying to flip through the racks. A cart is absolutely necessary. Besides, it stakes out the 4 foot section immediately in front of me when I'm in rapid scan mode. Nothing worse than having someone step into your path as you slide the hangers past! [​IMG]

Plus one on having someone try to grab my coat! I can vouch for this phenomenon. In most weather, I leave it in the car but it's too cold right now so I toss it into the cart while I shop.

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

+1, this just about describes it for me.

I've moved over to eBay for shoes. So whatever you're getting new, shoes-wise I'm getting on eBay. I found one pair of shell cordovan Nettleton's at a thrift store and a couple other serviceable pairs...but for the most part I strike out with footwear.

Got a couple diff pairs of RL (AE) Sanderson longwings at Marshall's though, last year for a grand total of $248, and that was a huge (totally worth it) splurge.

Also, for when I travel 5-6 times a year to medical conferences and "just gotta fit in," well, I got a couple staple BB "346" conservative suits on one of those clearance sale weekends. At some point I'll "upgrade" those with thrift store finds but I'm in no hurry, they fly well, look crisp and new, fit great and they're so plain I can pick almost any shirt & tie combo to go with.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

3. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Definitely cresting the 75% point on thrifted clothing. At least the "wearable" stuff (i.e. typical stuff to wear out). Which is why I love thrifting so much - no way could I afford anywhere near what I have now at retail. I've literally transformed my wardrobe in the last few months thanks to this site and thrifts. Happy to keep them in business, haha.

5. MattR

MattR Senior member

:slayer:

those POW ties will move quick, for sure. probably most of the reps, too.

case in point, i had to just stop myself from PM'ing you, despite my ego screaming at me for the brown POW ( :inlove: )

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1

7. GHo

GHo Senior member

[​IMG]

8. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Quote: The rubbing alcohol was to remove an obnoxious amount of wax build up.

Read some of the threads on shoe revival - its a labor of love, but totally worth it.

9. GHo

GHo Senior member

hey guys - in terms of thrifting....

is anyone hitting estate sales, AND, if so, where do you get your information on local sales? the newspaper? is there anywhere on the interwebs that has info on local sales? (I haven't had much luck searching the web.)

10. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Craigslist.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

http://www.estatesales.net/

12. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

+1 to Craigslist. I also use EstateSales.net. Most of the estate sale companies around here have either a web or Facebook page as well.

13. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

A follow up in today's newspaper:

"Toledo police filed charges against a 10-year-old boy Wednesday morning after they say he threatened two other students with a BB gun.

The boy, a third-grade student at Birmingham Elementary School, reportedly took the gun to school in his backpack, where it was later found by the school’s principal and confiscated, according to a police incident report.

The report states the boy, who was charged with making threats and aggravated menacing, was sent home. Toledo Public Schools spokesman Patty Mazur said the boy will face an expulsion hearing."

I guess the pull of thrifting is strong.....

14. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

apparently Samuelsohn makes clothes for females, i found this for the wife this morning on my way to work, quality seems to be about on par with HSM GT or BB mainline:

[​IMG]

no size tag so i'm not sure if it's going to fit her, if it doesn't work out for her maybe one of you guys would want it for your lady for cheap?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Do you have any idea how dangerous it is going to be to say "I thought this looked about your size" without the protection of a size tag?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.