The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Senior member

Of course. Also you are helping immensely if you are shopping at GW or SA. Not to mention to my wardrobe, well not yet but eventually.

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i think the garage sale vs GW thing is true for lots of people with low funds, not just undocumented immigrants. i grew up getting clothes at garage sales, not GW. GW was way more expensive than garage sales. now that i'm a yuppie lawyer, i can afford GW. :slayer:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

3. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

Ehh... not necessarily. Lazy people who don't want to hold their finds use carts. "Wow! Holding a shirt and tie can get heavy! So now I'm gonna leave these 2 items in a cart that'll take up the entire isle and nobody will be able to pass! (evil laugh)" .... wait a minute....

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I honestly think I can safely say 99% of my wardrobe is thrifted/traded/bought on deep discount with the exception of the basics (t-shirts, undergarments and socks). I haven't bought something at retail other than the aforementioned in a good 6-7 or so years.

5. Towers

Towers Senior member

I use a shopping cart too, i've set my coat on a rack to try on a jacket before only to have someone snatch it up with my wallet and keys in it.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Forgot to add my two cents on this beauty: :drool: I quite like this as well. :fence:

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

[​IMG]

8. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Thanks! It's all available. I'm meaning to take pictures, measurements, and post on B&S, but I have a massive headache. As soon as it goes down (late tonight, or tomorrow) I'll get some pictures up and respond to PMs!

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im not sure if its Attolini, but the Sartoria line is usually.

EN GARDE!

(Typhoid, whats the price?)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

10. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

My brother is out of town on a business trip, and was using some free time today to thrift. He called, breathless with adrenalin: "I'm in the dressing room, it fits perfectly!" "What?" "A bespoke H Huntsman 3-piece suit!" Details: super condition, charcoal flannel, single-breasted, dated 1983. Unvented, interestingly. Also, except for a zippered interior waist band security pocket, no pockets at all on the cuffed flat-front pants.

Also, eight Turnbull & Asser shirts, FC and three button.

He promised some pictures, which I'll post.

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Wow, awesome score!!

12. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

These are my ten dollar AE Garners. Roughly 2 hours, 1/2 bottle of rubbing alcohol,some serious Kiwi work, and 1/5 bottle scotchy alcohol later...

[​IMG]

As I mentioned before - I found these 1 mile away from the pair of AE Sanfords I posted last night. Both were $10. Both look amazing today.

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

What's the rubbing alcohol for?

I'm starting to think I'm a bigtime novice shoe polisher...none of my shoes look as good as the work you guys do [​IMG]

14. rx330

rx330 Active Member

It's been a bit of a drought for me lately but I did manage to find my first John Smedley sea island cotton sweater at a thrift a few days ago. It fits me perfectly, so I think I'll keep it. Stock photo of the sweater:

[​IMG]

On another note, do we have a proxy request thread set up on SF for labels/items other users could look out for while thrifting? I say this because I really like a lot of Arnold Brant''s Made In Italy items from back in the day (particularly ties, scarves, sweaters and leather jackets - size Medium). Unfortunately Ebay doesn't have many of these available as they've been discontinued for a while.

15. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I don't think there is anything in my wardrobe that was purchased at full retail. Even my new Aldens were purcahsed on sale during a trunk sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.