1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Hits this weekend;

An Italian raglan-sleeved tweed overcoat in a really nice fabric

A RTW shirt by a provincial maker with nice touches like shanked MOP buttons

A Helmut Lang slim-fit city raincoat with reflective detailing, perfect for cycling around town

A bespoke Couch and Hoskin sportcoat in a nice plaid which only needs a little alteration.

Misses;

A wonderful pair of tan and green Alexander McQueen laced boots which were a little too small

A handful of Hermes ties that were looking a bit tired

Four amazing bespoke waistcoats that fitted like a glove, with no sign of the rest of the suits...

2. vilinx

vilinx Senior member

I found a great BB (extra) small wool coat. I'm not sure if it's a coat, or a cardigan (or sweater); heavy black wool, unlined (great job sealing the free edges), high neck that doens't like being set down into the collar. Says Made in England. I'm a smaller guy so usually dismiss most BB things; this sweater jacket is amazing and fits me amazing through the body (sleeves a little short). Clearly the label ahs gotten to me because I think it looks like a more english cut jacket.

3. Georgia

Georgia Senior member

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Haven't been finding shit this so far this season. Usually winter, especially around Christmas time is really good considering the deadline for tax writeoffs is ending soon.....

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Woo hoo! Just found a fantastic Gucci blazer, and oh did I look for the matching pants - no luck but still, VERY happy

Also found a nice Puma zip up sweatshirt

6. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

I bought a suit from the now defunct Yale Co-op. Single-breasted, mid-grey, pinstripe. I don't get to wear suits that often as a grad student, and I have multiple grey suits already, but this one fit so perfectly off the rack that I had to pick it up. Plus, for $12.99, it's not a bad New Haven souvenir.

i also got a Christian Dior tie that I gave to a friend, and another tie with small rhinos on it that I'm goign to give to my brother as I used to compare him to a rhino when we were younger for his lack of grace and direct approach to things.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^Yale Co-op suit sounds great.

8. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I saw a RLPL suit with surgeon cuffs, undone for 230 bucks at INA on Bleeker. Then I took a look at the pants and it says 120. I guess they were selling them separate. 350 still a great deal for a NWT RLPL suit though. St Andrews I believe...44R.

Still havent bought it...

9. spitfire86

spitfire86 Member

Just found a pair of black wool pants from a Hugo Boss "Einstein" model, perfect fit, looked for the jacket but looked like it had been swiped already.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Good haul today. Zegna cashmere/silk shirtjacket thingy, recent Brioni tie, Rob. Talbott tie, new Missioni shirt, Burberry made in Italy car coat with the sleeve tag still on.

11. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

I hit an estate sale earlier this week. 3 silk pocket squares $1 each and a September 1939 copy of Esquire Magazine in excellent condition for $5.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Had another failed thrift excursion today while trying out new territory (I'm home for the holidays) although I shall not be discouraged.
    My mother came back yesterday though with some great ties.

Nataku, I'm in minneapolis for a few weeks for christmas/new years, let me know if you see any casual brown cordoruy jackets pop up...I have been looking for a while in thrifts and ebay and not found anything but overstructured, over priced Lauren by RL ebay jobs (in the 40-42 range).

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Otc, check out the Sally on University and 109th in Blaine. They had a couple brown cordouroy blazers last time I was there. Didn't check the size, but the prices were right (about $6 a pop).

14. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Commiserate with me on a spectacular near find today.

I was scanning the racks when my eyes came across the word 'Brioni' on a hanger. Of course, that doesn't mean anything necessarily as suits get put on whatever hanger they have around. Still, one's heart flutters as Brioni anything is few and far between. The suit: a navy double breasted with bold pinstripes--gorgeous. Sure enough, it was a Brioni.

So I begin giving it the once over, some minor issues, missing button, separation on a seam on the trousers. Fixable. Some shine to the seat, but would be covered by the jacket anyway. I try on the jacket, pretty close. So off I go figuring the issues are either fixable or tolerable. As I'm waiting for the check out girl to come over I notice the deal breaker: some sort of odd wear/fading on the shoulders. I decided that pushed things too far, so back it went to the rack and I went out the door empty handed and heavy of heart. [​IMG]

Ah, thrifting...

15. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Yes, sad, but lucky you found the defects before you bought it, and laughing headed for home with your "perfect" purchase.

As I invariably do...sniff...like my slim '60s Brioni grey herringbone suit, with multiple moth holes that "miraculously" appeared once I got it home....arrrrgggghhhhhh.

I was scanning the racks when my eyes came across the word 'Brioni' on a hanger. Of course, that doesn't mean anything necessarily as suits get put on whatever hanger they have around. Still, one's heart flutters as Brioni anything is few and far between. The suit: a navy double breasted with bold pinstripes--gorgeous. Sure enough, it was a Brioni.

So I begin giving it the once over, some minor issues, missing button, separation on a seam on the trousers. Fixable. Some shine to the seat, but would be covered by the jacket anyway. I try on the jacket, pretty close. So off I go figuring the issues are either fixable or tolerable. As I'm waiting for the check out girl to come over I notice the deal breaker: some sort of odd wear/fading on the shoulders. I decided that pushed things too far, so back it went to the rack and I went out the door empty handed and heavy of heart. [​IMG]

Ah, thrifting...

16. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Good excursion today while visiting my parents:

Allen Edmonds Saxon's $10

Valentino Roma dress shirt w/ FC's $3
    Penguin casual button down $3

Last week I picked up a Burberry Trench coat at a consignment store for $80

17. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good excursion today while visiting my parents

I have gotten to the point where my travels have been distilled to: NEW THRIFT STORES TO SHOP.

I had a conversation with the actor/comedian Matt Walsh about this when we were at Bumbershoot: it's a particular kind of person whose first thought upon visiting a new city is, "where are the thrifts?"

18. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Went to another one today, purchased a Burberry Sport Coat for $8.99. They also had two Hugo Boss Double Breasted suits that were roughly $15 each (not my size).

19. randallr

randallr Senior member

Ah, thrifting...

I wept Alan.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ah, thrifting...

Feel for you man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.