The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Yeah, older shirt 80's - 90's that appeared in lower end stores. Rive Gauche stuff by YSL is well worth a pickup, and any modern Yves Saint Laurent tag with white background and black lettering. Chances of picking this up in a thrift store are slim, but I do occasionally run into Tom Ford era YSL. I have found 3 pieces in last 6 months.

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Mind taking a few min and tossing up pictures of the labels that I should be looking for? Thanks a bunch. I'm actually working on a "label book" but it's a slow project with all the pictures and measurements I need to get taken of my thrifted items for sale/trade.

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Bah! Too large in the waist. Not to worry, I have a pair of Polo grey flannels that I'm dropping off at the tailor tomorrow. It was 60 degrees F here today so I have time before I'll need them. I would LOVE, however, to have a greater selection of BB odd pants to choose from.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Brianpore

5. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Yeah, I hear you! I have searched high and low for months for some pants. One of the pair I picked up are marked 32R but they are actually 31", I am assuming from tailoring, so I need to take them to the tailor to get that let out, since I am a 32. Anyway, I am a big fan of Polo flannels and can't seem to come across any in my size so I might have to suck it up and wait for them to go on sale when the winters over.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not an huge day, but not a total bust either.

Lacoste Cardigan, apparently never worn.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

RL Polo Pullover 1/4 Zip Fleece
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4 RL Long Sleeve Work Shirts, 2 Blake, 2 Blaire, all XL and freshly drycleaned/pressed.

[​IMG]

7. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it’s what you have, but the typical Tumi red initials can be wiped off with a little acetone. Just be careful you don’t rub one spot for too long or you could discolor the leather. This has worked great for me. Like the others said, you can try to remove the indentations with a little massage and water, but from my experience the indentation isn’t going anywhere. AlanC’s brass plate suggestion might be your best bet.

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Certainly

New YSL and YSL Rive Gauche = excellent. (You can tell older Rive Gauche from newer. Older Rive Gauche 80's to 90's just said Rive Gauche no Yves Saint Laurent written above it)
    Pour Homme = use good judgement. Some made in Italy pieces were good (overcoats, sport coats, Dress Pants etc), shirts etc sucked.

Current tag
    [​IMG]

YSL Rive Gauche Tag late 90's - 2006/7
    [​IMG]

YSL Pour Homme Tag 1990's
    [​IMG]

9. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

brianpore you are my hero!

10. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

I stopped by the GW on my way home today and found a few interesting items. Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone with me so I couldn't do any searching while I was at the store. I grabbed them anyway even though I was "flying blind."

Two pairs of Mantoni Super 150s wool trousers which are basically new and seem pretty decent.

[​IMG]

A Pendleton 100% wool shirt. Nataku, is this the kind of shirt that you've found is desirable? It's a medium, so way too small for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, a single-breasted peak-lapel corduroy sport coat. It's labeled "Made in Italy," but I don't see any other labels that would indicate the maker. It seems pretty nice, but I think it's just a tad too small for me. I'm not sure where I'd wear it anyway. Oh well. Anybody recognize anything on the inside label?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why do you cut them in half?

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Oops, forgot to follow up - sorry about that!

As predicted, it didn't do too well on the blue shirt...before and after:

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's obviously much improved, but definitely not sell-able. The lighter-colored shirts did quite well though, and you can't even tell at all on the white ones (sorry, don't have any examples of the white ones as they all went to toscano_adottato). This one was the 2nd worst of the lot (though I don't have a before, unfortunately):

[​IMG]

I'm back home and seeing it again...it looks like embossing, though I'm not entirely sure. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

13. vexco

vexco Senior member

Only picked up a couple of things today...First thing I saw today was this, however:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hickey Freeman Glen-Spray topcoat. It's available if anyone's interested!

14. Brianpore

Because I'm frugal and you only need 1/2 of each for most normal 3.5" or under ties. Sometimes I do leave them (USPS envelope and the poly bag) and wrap the excess around and tape it. I always cut the cardboard flat rate envelopes to size though as it has a nice tight fit and less likely to bend imo which is the point of the cardboard envelope to start with.

Thanks for the follow up on the shirts. Guess I'm sticking to white only. Just found a pretty good stain on a shirt elbow (white with a check) and let it sit in the solution for an hour and presto! good as new :)

In regards tot he embossing, googled quick and a few lethter websites even suggested a brass plate. Maybe something like this with your name? Would look pretty good! https://quillin.com/jshop/product.php?xProd=790

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

So, I nipped out to a local GW after the kiddies and wife went to sleep. Nothing to rave about, but I am glad I went: Two pairs of AEs and a pair of Zanella "stretch" flat fronts. (Details of both below; I will spare folks pics unless you really want them, in which case PM me). I also scored a light brown Coach Unisex saddle bag in good shape. Oddly, this is the near exact mate of a black unisex saddle bag I found at a totally different thrift in a totally different state a couple of weeks ago. Both were pretty reasonably priced (IMHO) in the $30 range. Either these things are unexpectedly ubiquitous or it's just an odd and lucky coincidence. I'm unlikely to keep both, so if you're interested, PM me.

I left a pair of black AE tassles (size 11) because there was a small (< dime size) hole in the left shoe sole, and a pair of black Bruno Magli slip ons (size 9.5?) for the same reason. The Brunos were way too small, but the AEs fit, and I need a pair of black slip-ons for travel. Is it worth resoling a pair of AEs? They were just under $20, and otherwise in very good shape. If I go back for the AEs, I'd be glad to proxy the Brunos, if someone wants.

Details:
    Allen Edmonds Park Avenue mid-brown captoe, size 13, both uppers and lowers in very good shape though they need a good shine; lowers have seen wear, but no holes -- these are too big for me and are available.
    AE whiskey-colored split toes, size 10, uppers have seen a good deal of wear (though no major scuffs), lowers are in similar shape. These fit me (more or less), so I'll probably keep them, but I'm open to offers.
    Zanella "stretch" flat-front brownish-green twill trousers in a 33 x 29.25, with at least 2" to let out both the inseam and waist. Too narrow for me (didn't have time to try them on. :facepalm:) so, available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.