The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Senior member

Before pulled out by an urgent phone call I have spotted a Lovat tailored interesting Harris, and two quite old and smallish half lined JPress tweeds. They closed the store after me. Debating if I should go and buy them tomorrow morning. Lovat was something. Don't have time for the bay but I know they sell fine. Also two V2 ties too wide to wear, and do not know if they have any value.

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

The word "smallish" puts a smile on my face [​IMG] If you said "tiny" or "looked like they were for a kid" it would have looked like [​IMG] How small is small?

3. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

Went to a couple stores today
    Was basics everywhere; Picked up: Brooks Brothers shirts NWOT, NWT John Varvatos USA shirt, very nice pair of brown split toe Allen Edmonds (One shoe has about 1/2 inch added to the sole with a vibram heel and another sole... need to take that off.)

Left: some fake? YSL (made in Malaysia) shirts, 2 Hickey Freemans Nordstroms, 1 Harris Tweed with a hole in the lining, 1 Burberrys suit (stained sleeves with HUGE shoulders, talking linebacker), XXL faconnable tweed bomber style overcoat with goat leather patch elbows might pick this up even though it wont really fit me

4. tben

tben Senior member

I wanted to brag about my finds from my weekend away, but I hate you all for your recent finds(face=bitter).
    If anyone cares:
    BB Flannel Pants
    BB Wool Pants
    NWT Levi's
    Multiple Bow ties (Don't think they are SF approved but nice nonetheless)

5. catside

catside Senior member

I did not have time to look in detail. Sorry. Not tiny but looked small for me.

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

BB flannel pants! Size? Color? Give it up, man!

7. MattR

MattR Senior member

Good lord. Leave this thread alone for a few hours, and there are pages to catch up on. :lol:

x2. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

The saga continues!

I read a quote from Cornelius Vanderbilt once that always makes me think of this incident: "Gentleman: You have undertaken to cheat me. I won't sue you, for the law takes too long. I will ruin you." - Cornelius Vanderbilt

:lol:

I read on a blog that Target has started carrying some wooden shoe trees. Haven't had a chance to check it out for myself, but probably a good cheap alternative.

I second Brian's enthusiasm on the JPress. :D

8. catside

catside Senior member

OK OK They were quite old but will try to pick tomorrow if no moth holes.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Nope, YSL in 80's and much of 90's had their cheaper diffusion lines (i.e. Pour Homme) that were routinely available in lower end stores like Macys and Dillards. If you check fabric tag, my bet says a 60/40 cotton polyester mix. YSL Rive Gauche was only line that was good (and some of their tailored stuff on the Pour Homme line was fairly OK). The Rive Gauche line dissapeared about 3 or 4 years ago, now it is just Yves Saint Laurent and it is high(ish) end. Pour Homme line of clothing vanished around late 90's early 00's.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

10. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Hummm, looks like AZ, think I've been there!

11. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Thank you for humoring me! They are marked 34/32, more like a 34/31 or 31 1/8. Double pleats (not too many for me) staple grey, really nice pants!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly what I saw on the fabric tag and the tag said just Yves Saint Laurent

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

13. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

Any interest in Givenchy Monsieur SCs? I found two of them last week but neither fit me very well. One is like a 40S and the other is about a 42R but arms are too short and shoulders too wide ??? Pics posted later.

Also there was a sick vintage Gucci brown blazer (around a 38 or 40) that I couldn't pass up. Some schmutz on the lapel so I sent it to the dry cleaners. This is definitely available once it gets back if the stains come out.

14. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Quote: This is correct. Unfinished cedar, about $10, they look similar to this:

http://woodlore.com/mm5/merchant.mv...-OneSize-Shoe-Tree&Category_Code=Shoe-Trees-M

I've picked up a few and they're decent, but the heel portion tends to get stuck.

Philosophical thrifting question:

Let's say one were to pick up a Borrelli shirt, NWT, that is quite a bit larger than necessary and thus subject to an Ebay flipping, but which had obviously been sitting unused somewhere and had thus lost a bit of its "newness."

1) Do you wash it?
    2) If so, how?
    3) Do you still consider it NWT?

15. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

I'd call it NOS. Leave on the tags and disclose it's in need of a good dry cleaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.