• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Still exhausted from the thrift marathon with Androfan. Good times though.

Since I'm saving for Alden shell boots I had to be disciplined but still came away with ties by Zegna, Nicky, Dolce and Gabbana and one from a silk shop in Florence Italy that my wife used to shop at. Also picked up a white Zegna dress shirt. I can vouch for Androfan's day though...he scored some good stuff but had to leave behind a number of good things too. Fickle they are, those thrifting gods.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those flight coats are very cool. I have no need for them and I'm not really sure what they are, but I kinda feel like I need to have one...

That's the biggest problem with this thread
lol8[1].gif
I was thinking the exact same thing. Fortunately I don't look good in yellow-based colors and don't really do black often, so I was saved.

Holy ****, if this would fit a 39-40 chest would you grab it for me? I'll throw you some dollars and even swag you out in shiny ties.
inlove.gif

(Krizia -- unless I'm thinking of a brand with a similar spelling -- has some Made in Italy shirts no one seems to give two ***** about. I've found a couple, and they're both really nice).

I can try. I'm wondering now if it's a women's jacket. It looks just like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krizia-Jean...C_Outerwear&hash=item46006124bf#ht_812wt_1413

PM me if you're still interested and I can try to swing back down there later today.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went to drop off some clothes that don't get worn and to pick up some sort of bowl/crock/dish store my laundry quarters in (cat broke my old one). Ended up with a lovely japanese stoneware teacup for a buck. There were actually 3 total but I don't need more clutter and don't really have much use for small teacups like that.

On the way out I found a pair of Infinity SM65 speakers for $19. I'd been looking for some small bookshelves to replace my dead bedroom computer speakers and figured these are probably better than the cheap daytons/sonys on amazon. A quick smartphone search found someone on a forum offering them for $160 although it looks like the average used price out there is much lower.

The reviews have good things to say about the polycell tweeters in these (and replacesments online are $70 a piece for just the tweeter) and I will say the high end is very clear and the mids are nice. Low end is lacking compared to my floorstanding speakers but that isn't unusual. They are high sensitivity which should work well with the little t-amp I plan to use in the bedroom. Someone mentioned replacing the large driver which might also be an option.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Whaaat?! Geez! It's one thing to find a suit/jacket by Borrelli, but NWT?! That's just insane! Today was dress shirt day. NWT/NWOT shirts from Brioni, Turnbull & Asser, Kiton and Zegna Mainline. Here's something odd, the blue T&A shirt had a small "reticket" receipt from Bloomingdales stapled to the bottom. I had no idea Bloomingdales sold high end stuff! The Bloomingdales here in Minnesota sure doesn't sell anything near the level of T&A - must have came from out of state.
P1030653.jpg

Just bumping this from over a year ago to remind y'all what this is about.

A whole box of boring staples, nice and shiny gold plated ones.

This is exactly the haul that I think about every time I walk into that musty space we call our coal/gem/precious metal mine.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Wow! Do you remember what size some of that swag was? Whenever I find a bunch of NWT stuff all at once, it tends to be in huge or odd sizes that couldn't sell @ the retail level. (NEVER rolled up on anything like that stuff in shirts.)

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was so disappointed when I read you post!! Haha! I was hoping that was a recent haul and those white shirts were 16.5/35 and then I would proceed to buy them all.

Quote:

This is exactly the haul that I think about every time I walk into that musty space we call our coal/gem/precious metal mine.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
I guess that's the danger of bumping old posts, but it's better than seeing page long arguments about the ethics of thrifting.
smile.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow - I remember this day like yesterday and still hit this store with this exact find still lingering in my mind. All were 16 to 16.5. That store kinda sucks now, but then again it did then too. It's really hit and miss, I just managed to be there at the right place and time. Sad thing is, I left a few Brioni shirts and 1 Kiton behind. High-tailed it back there a couple days later after so much interest was expressed to find them gone. Damn! I still have that blue T&A (marked a 17). Funny thing is, I just culled the closet yesterday of stuff I never wear/wore and this one didn't make the cut. It's being put up for sale today unless someone wants it. has 3 button cuffs.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Wow - I remember this day like yesterday and still hit this store with this exact find still lingering in my mind. All were 16 to 16.5. That store kinda sucks now, but then again it did then too. It's really hit and miss, I just managed to be there at the right place and time. Sad thing is, I left a few Brioni shirts and 1 Kiton behind. High-tailed it back there a couple days later after so much interest was expressed to find them gone. Damn!

They're long gone right...
peepwall[1].gif

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Picked up my first Isaia jacket, unfortunately striped and no pants to be found
censored.gif
but I felt bad letting it sit there. It's not my size, but got me thinking.....if I ever find something like this my size (or on ebay), any chance a company like Isaia (Kiton, Brioni, etc) can match the fabric in there fabric books and make a new "extra" pair of pants? Anyone have luck with this?

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up my first Isaia jacket, unfortunately striped and no pants to be found :censored: but I felt bad letting it sit there. It's not my size, but got me thinking.....if I ever find something like this my size (or on ebay), any chance a company like Isaia (Kiton, Brioni, etc) can match the fabric in there fabric books and make a new "extra" pair of pants? Anyone have luck with this?

I think I've always read that even if it WAS possible, the price would be so high as to be more cost effective to just get a new suit - you have to think that they make lots of suits from a run of fabric, even at the top end. Also, same cloth from different bolts may have slight differences. Better to wear it with something contrasting and crazy and call it sprezz? :devil:

BTW congrats on that first Isaia... I've still only had one Isaia find but man, that haul... of course it wasn't in my local area so it'll probably never happen again. :plain: Interestingly enough, I found a pair of orphaned Isaia suit PANTS there but never any sign of the jacket, and I had family looking for it with pictures and all. :(

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I understand this is not at all about a thrifting find. It has some thrift applications, though.

Saw this great post on Boxing the Compass about shortening shirt collars. It made me think of a lot of shirts I've passed up (for myself), b/c they had pinpoint collars or something similar. In any case, apparently, they can fix that. I thought his turned out great, so here it is for future reference. (I figured if a shirt is $6 at GW, I can spend $8-$10 getting this done and have a shirt I truly like, rather than one I've settled for, for whatever reason).

http://yankee-whisky-papa.blogspot.com/2011/04/reviving-shirts-v-outdoorsman-edition.html

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. I'm glad SOMEONE apparently enjoys my excessive use of punctuation and exciting language
biggrin.gif
. Nah, I really was in a rush and literally heading out the door when I made the post, so I didn't have time to embellish then, but I shall make up for my error now.

Brioni - HELL YEAH!!!
Hermes tie - WOOOOOO!!
Battistoni - AWESOME!!
Loro FREAKING Piana!!!!
SWEET J. Press - yesssssssssss!

Lol. All joking aside, these were amazing scores and I'm super excited about many of them. A lot of firsts for me! (First Brioni SC, Hermes anything, Battistoni SC, J. Press). I'll take pics of everything in a bit and post them up. Again, have to thank toscano_addotato for heading out with me. He's a super nice guy and it was really cool talking clothes with someone who actually knows and appreciates good stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads