The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Still exhausted from the thrift marathon with Androfan. Good times though.

Since I'm saving for Alden shell boots I had to be disciplined but still came away with ties by Zegna, Nicky, Dolce and Gabbana and one from a silk shop in Florence Italy that my wife used to shop at. Also picked up a white Zegna dress shirt. I can vouch for Androfan's day though...he scored some good stuff but had to leave behind a number of good things too. Fickle they are, those thrifting gods.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

That's the biggest problem with this thread [​IMG] I was thinking the exact same thing. Fortunately I don't look good in yellow-based colors and don't really do black often, so I was saved.

I can try. I'm wondering now if it's a women's jacket. It looks just like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krizia-Jean...C_Outerwear&hash=item46006124bf#ht_812wt_1413

PM me if you're still interested and I can try to swing back down there later today.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

3. otc

otc Senior member

Went to drop off some clothes that don't get worn and to pick up some sort of bowl/crock/dish store my laundry quarters in (cat broke my old one). Ended up with a lovely japanese stoneware teacup for a buck. There were actually 3 total but I don't need more clutter and don't really have much use for small teacups like that.

On the way out I found a pair of Infinity SM65 speakers for $19. I'd been looking for some small bookshelves to replace my dead bedroom computer speakers and figured these are probably better than the cheap daytons/sonys on amazon. A quick smartphone search found someone on a forum offering them for $160 although it looks like the average used price out there is much lower.

[​IMG]

The reviews have good things to say about the polycell tweeters in these (and replacesments online are $70 a piece for just the tweeter) and I will say the high end is very clear and the mids are nice. Low end is lacking compared to my floorstanding speakers but that isn't unusual. They are high sensitivity which should work well with the little t-amp I plan to use in the bedroom. Someone mentioned replacing the large driver which might also be an option.

4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Just bumping this from over a year ago to remind y'all what this is about.

A whole box of boring staples, nice and shiny gold plated ones.

This is exactly the haul that I think about every time I walk into that musty space we call our coal/gem/precious metal mine.

5. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Wow! Do you remember what size some of that swag was? Whenever I find a bunch of NWT stuff all at once, it tends to be in huge or odd sizes that couldn't sell @ the retail level. (NEVER rolled up on anything like that stuff in shirts.)

6. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I was so disappointed when I read you post!! Haha! I was hoping that was a recent haul and those white shirts were 16.5/35 and then I would proceed to buy them all.

Quote:

7. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I guess that's the danger of bumping old posts, but it's better than seeing page long arguments about the ethics of thrifting. [​IMG]

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - I remember this day like yesterday and still hit this store with this exact find still lingering in my mind. All were 16 to 16.5. That store kinda sucks now, but then again it did then too. It's really hit and miss, I just managed to be there at the right place and time. Sad thing is, I left a few Brioni shirts and 1 Kiton behind. High-tailed it back there a couple days later after so much interest was expressed to find them gone. Damn! I still have that blue T&A (marked a 17). Funny thing is, I just culled the closet yesterday of stuff I never wear/wore and this one didn't make the cut. It's being put up for sale today unless someone wants it. has 3 button cuffs.

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    They're long gone right... [​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sadly yes. Except the T&A. :spam: :D

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Picked up my first Isaia jacket, unfortunately striped and no pants to be found [​IMG] but I felt bad letting it sit there. It's not my size, but got me thinking.....if I ever find something like this my size (or on ebay), any chance a company like Isaia (Kiton, Brioni, etc) can match the fabric in there fabric books and make a new "extra" pair of pants? Anyone have luck with this?

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I think I've always read that even if it WAS possible, the price would be so high as to be more cost effective to just get a new suit - you have to think that they make lots of suits from a run of fabric, even at the top end. Also, same cloth from different bolts may have slight differences. Better to wear it with something contrasting and crazy and call it sprezz? :devil:

BTW congrats on that first Isaia... I've still only had one Isaia find but man, that haul... of course it wasn't in my local area so it'll probably never happen again. :plain: Interestingly enough, I found a pair of orphaned Isaia suit PANTS there but never any sign of the jacket, and I had family looking for it with pictures and all. :(

13. MattR

MattR Senior member

Full disclosure: I understand this is not at all about a thrifting find. It has some thrift applications, though.

Saw this great post on Boxing the Compass about shortening shirt collars. It made me think of a lot of shirts I've passed up (for myself), b/c they had pinpoint collars or something similar. In any case, apparently, they can fix that. I thought his turned out great, so here it is for future reference. (I figured if a shirt is $6 at GW, I can spend $8-$10 getting this done and have a shirt I truly like, rather than one I've settled for, for whatever reason).

http://yankee-whisky-papa.blogspot.com/2011/04/reviving-shirts-v-outdoorsman-edition.html

14. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I read that post from Boxing the Compass too and I've recently used the shirt maker he went to in order to change some collars and cuffs for me. It is a good resource.

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Hahaha. I'm glad SOMEONE apparently enjoys my excessive use of punctuation and exciting language [​IMG]. Nah, I really was in a rush and literally heading out the door when I made the post, so I didn't have time to embellish then, but I shall make up for my error now.

Brioni - HELL YEAH!!!
    Hermes tie - WOOOOOO!!
    Battistoni - AWESOME!!
    Loro FREAKING Piana!!!!
    SWEET J. Press - yesssssssssss!

Lol. All joking aside, these were amazing scores and I'm super excited about many of them. A lot of firsts for me! (First Brioni SC, Hermes anything, Battistoni SC, J. Press). I'll take pics of everything in a bit and post them up. Again, have to thank toscano_addotato for heading out with me. He's a super nice guy and it was really cool talking clothes with someone who actually knows and appreciates good stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.