1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Distinguished Member

The zegna isn't a PS... It's a scarf! It's 53" x 9.5" with fringed ends. It's the kind of thing you see fancy Italian men (or Spoo) wearing tucked under the lapels of their €4000 Kiton suits [​IMG]

The tartan tie is lined through most of it but the tip is unlined and just has the edge rolled

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

2. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior Member

Do you have a tiny body and long arms?? Nothing I find ever fits you!! :laugh:

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Distinguished Member

went to three different spots with the wife today, no major finds.

• canali blue dress shirt with white windowpane
    • "Innocenti Oro" sportcoat, which said "Hand Tailored by Tom James" on the label. it seems like ok quality, and fit me pretty pretty well. the pattern is a brown/gold with a dark brown windowpane. quality seems to be about on par with HSM gold trumpeter, but it was super cheap so whatev.
    • j crew wool coat for the wife
    • j crew velvet blazer for the wife

4. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior Member

I've seen several brands that give drops for sport coats. I've thrifted a Canali velvet blazer with a drop listed on the tag, and no one was waltzing around in an olive velvet suit.

I once found three—yes THREE—Luciano Barbera shirts, in my size, with the front pocket ripped off them: one with the pocket completely gone and seam holes in a pocket shape, two with the chest of the shirt actually torn where the pocket would be. WTF indeed.

5. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior Member

That Pendleton sweater looks lovely, Bytor. The hipsters in San Francisco snatch up anything remotely fair-isle-ish as soon as it hits the shelves, unless it's exceptionally ugly, so I get never come across anything like that.

6. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior Member

Went to two stores this morning, came out with

- A theory button down and a Ralph Lauren made in Italy silk blouse for my girlfriend
    - XL John Varvatos mainline button down in a blue striped thin cotton with nice MOP buttons.
    - Ermenegildo Zegna button down in an awesome white, blue and purple stripe, really unique. Silver label, 17'' neck.

Both will be going to my dad, who never wears a damn thing I buy for him, unless someone wants them. Way too big for me.

Then my favorite liquidation store was running a buy one get one free promo for clearance priced women's shoes. Ended up walking out with $1500 (retail) worth of Jerome C. Rousseau heels for her for $60 with tax [​IMG]

Pretty good day, or so I thought: got in a hit and run accident on the way home. Took the cops an hour and 45 minutes to show up and ask me 5 questions. But maybe that belonged in the Things That Are Pissing You Off thread. [​IMG]

7. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior Member

Tell me you aren't finding this stuff in Denver...I haven't seen a single stitch of Kiton in the 60 or so store visits I've done so far in the area. I guess I can imagine the rich folk of the Springs buying Kiton, but from the constant Stanley Korshack Dallas tags I see, maybe it's more the wealthy Texan tourists who always come through here in the summer.

Also, I'm interested in that J Press tie...too bad on the Kiton SC, those sleeves are hella short.

8. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Distinguished Member

Those flight coats are very cool. I have no need for them and I'm not really sure what they are, but I kinda feel like I need to have one...

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Holy shit, if this would fit a 39-40 chest would you grab it for me? I'll throw you some dollars and even swag you out in shiny ties. :inlove:

(Krizia -- unless I'm thinking of a brand with a similar spelling -- has some Made in Italy shirts no one seems to give two shits about. I've found a couple, and they're both really nice).

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Thanks for finishing the tale! I'd have loved to been a part of that study. :nodding:

11. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior Member

Quote:
    Hello. I'm the guy who found the Lattanzis, lol. However, don't feel bad about the Brunello Cucinelli with the holes. I have a reweaving shop here in Boston (run by Russians) who re-weave for $9.00 a hole if it's smaller than a dime. BUT they insist on dry cleaning the sweaters for $4.95 before they do the work. I've had them fix J. Press Shaggy Dogs with moth holes to flip and you can't even tell (even from CLOSE examination). PM and I can give you their telephone number. -M-

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not so tiny! :laugh: I used to be a 38, more like a 40 now, but I need a 26-26.5" sleeve most of the time. I have monkey arms.

13. floors to go

floors to go Senior Member

Looks like I'm not the only person with monkey arms in a 38.

14. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Huh, I just assumed it was a PS. Ladies' scarves are generally where I see them. In any case, it is still really cool!

And that tie is deceiving, haha.

I really enjoy going with my lady. She's a good sport about me taking the time to check through everything, but I can usually pull some good stuff for her to make the process worth it. I think the last time we went, she was able to get some women's BB jackets. And in any case, the company is nice.

15. catside

catside Distinguished Member

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.