The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I picked up this Corneliani suit for $189 @ the Marshalls. Not a thrift find, but I think its a great deal for me. Fits fantastic.

http://www.bluefly.com/Corneliani-n...e-pleated-pants/cat20306/309976401/detail.fly

I think posted here that it was $325 or so a couple of weeks back and red tagged. However, it was yellow tagged today so that should be final clearance, right? canvassed, dbl vented, very lightweight wool... Really great. I have 2 fully canvassed suits and this is by far the lightest of them all. I always thought a canvassed suit = extra weight. Did I mention it fits me like a glove?

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

^^^ Whomever claims they are not a teensy bit jealous would be lying.

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ Marshalls and TJ Maxx are a couple of places that I never really thought to go since I usually just stick to thrift stores and charity shops (I probably only buy brand new clothes once or twice a year and only then it's just specific items that I can't find or wouldn't want second hand). With that said, I went to Marshalls about a week ago and was really impressed by some of the stuff I saw on the racks: Brioni, Charvet, RLPL, etc. Still hundreds of dollars, but not bad when marked down from thousands of dollars. I ended up buying a BNWT Etro pocket square for $10.

Nice suit! -M-

4. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Why does it have a drop number?

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ I can't figure that out, but this is how Zegna marks their sportcoats and suits. It's an easy way to tell whether or not you need to flip the store upside down looking for a pair of pants or not. Can't explain the drop, though.

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

That's what I found confusing when I was still trying to figure out if it was a sport coat or an orphaned suit jacket. After looking in all the pockets, it's a MTM job for somebody from 2009. I'm not sure if MTM has anything to do with this, but it does have a 7 printed in the "drop" box. -M-

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

From what I understand, the drop number has to do with the amount of waist suppression (IE from pit to pit to width @ the button). Could be totally wrong about this though, but I think it makes sense since usually more muscular people have higher drops (wide shoulders, but thin waist, etc).

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

Had a pretty good day... First place I hit was disappointing. All I picked up was a size XL Woolrich parka like the one I got for myself a while back (available if anyone wants a GREAT coat for super cold weather).

The next place I went I was finding NOTHING... The place looked picked over. I was heading out the door when I stopped to look at some women's scarves and saw this
    [​IMG]

Interesting... soft... let's look at the tag

[​IMG]
    Score! [​IMG]

The next place I put together a HF suit that had been separated (40R), picked up some HF pants (36, I think), and found some nice linen napkins

The last place I went I found a pretty baller Polo RL green flannel suit, approximately a 38-40S. Also picked up this... I love these Scottish tartan ties (available)

[​IMG]

and I picked this up... Spoo?
    [​IMG]

Seems real to me... has custom buttons that say Versace on them, but I'm no expert.

Also, college of thrifting knowledge, anyone ever heard of this brand?
    [​IMG]
    Krizia Jeans? Although the top part looks like denim it's wool / cashmere and the bottom is suede. It said made in Italy. I didn't pick it up because I couldn't find much on it, but now I'm wondering if I should have...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Looks real to me. Classic took over their V2 label IIRC. Nothing crazy. Worth maybe $20-$30 if in nice shape/

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Versace Classic label died out around 04/05 and was replaced by Collection. Shirt is definitely at least 7 years old, more likely 10 or so.

11. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Hit 4 stores this morning.

For me:

NWT PRL windbreaker, Pendelton (US made) wool shirt
    [​IMG]

Top: Shetland x 2, PRL rugby
    Bottom: Pendelton (US made), J. Crew lambswool
    [​IMG]

NWT PRL linen pants
    [​IMG]

Top: Faconnable, Allen Solly
    Bottom: Zegna, Enro
    [​IMG]

Robert Talbott linen, Al Bazaar 93/7 cashmere/lambswool, Ferrell Reed
    [​IMG]

U.S. Army (I believe) trench
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Available:

Top: Hield blue/red check w/ french cuffs 16.5-34/35, HF blue/white stripe w/ french cuffs 16-34, Borelli XL (sooooooo soft)
    Bottom: Faconnable multi-color linen (L), Pringle of Scotland white v-neck (M)
    [​IMG]

L - Jacky Adams white w/ red & blue diagonal check 16-34ish (Anyone heard of this? Made in Italy, nice construction - see spoilers for close-ups)
    R - Paul Smith London white w/ red & blue stripes. Labeled "17", but fits smaller 16.5-34ish.
    [​IMG]

This was the other Jacky Adams that I found, but it was NOT for me! Available for proxy if anyone's daring.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Misses:
    Brioni suit (I think) w/ slight damage and no pants. Canali suit with no pants. [​IMG]

Also, I found this overcoat that seemed nice, but didn't have any sort of labels other than "Made In England". Can anyone ID it? Can proxy if it turns out to be something.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Would love to see pics of the suit (just curious).

How many tartan ties are we talking? Pics?

13. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

Found a Gieves and Hawkes Bespoke suit (with an i.Magnin label...not sure how that works) in a navy + brown windowpane pattern. It looked great. Then I went to check out and the cashier flipped over the pants and I saw the fabric at the pocket lip was abraded to bare threads. Wasn't sure if it was something fixable, so I left it. :/

14. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Think you guys are gonna cry when you hear on what I passed on today. These weren't found at a thrift store.

New Zegna Tie - Plain Shiny Silky Silver - $10
    New Zegna (Mainline) - light grey, glenplaid, double-breasted, single button, suit in a size 38. - $130

Tie was too ugly in my opinion and suit required way too much tailoring to be worth it, trousers were too baggy, and suit needed a lot of waist supression.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I suspect someone may want you to proxy that suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.