• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattR

Reaction score

I have heard southwich makes a pretty soft shoulder, is this correct?

The ones I tend to see have a softer shoulder. I want to say they are typically 90's era, but I can't quite remember. (It gets me every time, but there is a Southwick suit hanging at one of the GWs, and I always instinctively grab for it, only to remember there is a huge rip down the front [sidenote: wtf]. In any case, this and a similar one with a tear down the back [see prior sidenote] are my reference points).

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple nice Southwick suits on hand if any one is interested. The first one is glenplaid 40R and the second is a charcoal flannelish at about a 48R.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally like Southwick.

I have a older Navy solid flannel purchased off B&S and a newer black/gray hounds-tooth purchased at Filenne's. I think they are a great suit.

I have a couple nice Southwick suits on hand if any one is interested. The first one is glenplaid 40R and the second is a charcoal flannelish at about a 48R.

I'd be interested to see pix & measurements on the 48R. I'm actually looking for a gray flannel....send me a PM

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course.
I remember the first time we met I was going through the suit coats/SC's, you came on the other end and started looking as well. You flipped through those things so fast I knew it had to be Nataku! :laugh:

:laugh:

I remember that day too! Speaking of meeting up, February is coming quick! :D

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know! I'm excited to get the zegna and hit some stores :slayer:

I would love be with you one of these days and we'll find another Adrian Jules mega finds! Or that sale where you found all your dress shirts. :drool:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New around here, but found something today I thought worth mentioning, a Paul Stuart sport coat, which isn't in itself that noteworthy, but the price was: 53 cents, including tax, at SA, where they were having a 49-cent sale for all blue tags. It's immaculate, but, sadly, for a much taller--well over six feet--person than my 44S self. I'd post photos, but don't know how. I used to hit the store daily when I worked a block away, but I've change jobs and now only make it a couple-three times a week. It had obviously made it through the cycle, though. Fortunate that I didn't spot it at half-off, when it would have been $5. Hard to describe, but it's an odd sort of micro black-and-white houndstooth with blue and red accents, which perhaps explains why I overlooked it. But it is a lovely coat. Capped it off with a pair of pebble grain butterscotch Hanover longwings at GW in great shape and 9D--the kind we've all seen before. Not my size, but I couldn't just walk away from shoes like that.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whew! Today was a whirlwind 9 hour tour of 5-6+ thrifts (I lost count) with toscono_adottato, who is the coolest, most generous dude ever. Seriously, a really stand-up guy.

A quick rundown of finds before I head out. I'll post pics later:

recent Canali charcoal nailhead jacket (probably an orphan..it was my 2nd Canali orphan of the day; I couldn't bear to leave it behind :-/)
recent Hickey Freeman 55/45 silk/wool blend cream herringbone with yellow overcheck SC
grey Brioni glenplaid Super 150s jacket (possibly orphan, might be/can be an SC)
recent double side-vented Battistoni brown nailhead 3btn SC
Allen Edmonds "Norse" split toe bluchers
Hickey Freeman greyish-blue herringbone SC
my first Hermes tie (given to me by toscano_adottato - told you, a stand up guy!!)
J.Press 3 roll 2 navy gold button blazer
PRL tweed blazer
Very recent Samuelsohn made in Italy 95/5 wool/cashmere blend SC
Loro Piana Super 130s Navy gold button blazer (brand patch removed, but gold buttons have enamel BB logo, so it's probably BBGF, though not sure)

A bunch more stuff I won't bore you guys with. All in all, great day and a really fun tour of area thrifts that I haven't ever been to!

Left behind:
GORGEOUS Corneliani-made PRL navy blue with pinstripe 85/15 alpaca/wool suit jacket...couldn't find the pants :-( :-( Huge heartbreak - it was gorgeous and really recent
recent Canali navy staple 2btn jacket (couldn't find the pants)

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a Brooks Brothers navy blazer. Not a big thing, but it's something I've been looking searching around for, and it fits like a glove.

Also, here's a pic of my best shoe find to date (other than the C&J boots) after a nice polish. These will be going up on B&S as soon as I can actually post to B&S:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whew! Today was a whirlwind 9 hour tour of 5-6+ thrifts (I lost count) with toscono_adottato, who is the coolest, most generous dude ever. Seriously, a really stand-up guy.

recent Canali charcoal nailhead jacket (probably an orphan..it was my 2nd Canali orphan of the day; I couldn't bear to leave it behind :-/)
recent Hickey Freeman 55/45 silk/wool blend cream herringbone with yellow overcheck SC
grey Brioni glenplaid Super 150s jacket (possibly orphan, might be/can be an SC)
my first Hermes tie (given to me by toscano_adottato - told you, a stand up guy!!)
PRL tweed blazer
Loro Piana Super 130s Navy gold button blazer (brand patch removed, but gold buttons have enamel BB logo, so it's probably BBGF, though not sure)

A bunch more stuff I won't bore you guys with. All in all, great day and a really fun tour of area thrifts that I haven't ever been to!

Left behind:
GORGEOUS Corneliani-made PRL navy blue with pinstripe 85/15 alpaca/wool suit jacket...couldn't find the pants :-( :-( Huge heartbreak - it was gorgeous and really recent
Details on the Brioni? Dibs if it's my size ;)

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Hello. I came across an Ermenegildo Su Misura blue suit jacket 38 R or S while out and I'm not sure if it's an orphan because it's weave is a bit textured to the touch and seems a little "fussy" to me to be a full suit, but I really don't have a lot of experience with the brand. I just would like to be sure if it is an orphan before I end up spending a bunch of time looking for ghost pants that don't even exist.

(^^ If anybody can tell me if this is an orphan or not it would really help me out.)

Also found today:

Emenegildo Zegna Su Misura White Spread Collar French Cuffs Shirt 15 1/2 x 32 or so (for me).
Paul Stuart Solid Mid-Blue OCBD 15 1/2 x 32 (for me).
Brioni Charcoal Gray Double Pleated Cuffed Pants marked 36 (available).
Brioni Sport Charcoal Gray Triple Pleated Cuffed Pants marked 36 (available).
Vintage Brooks Brothers Solid RED Flat Front Cotton Summer Pants marked 35 (available).
Current Brooks Brothers Houndstooth Flat Front Wool Pants marked 35 (available).

and a bunch of ties on a 10 for $10 special.

Thanks! -M-

Last edited:

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to three stores today, only spent $10.

Florsheim Longwings
Johnston & Murphy Italian Calfskin belt, pretty sure it's never been worn
Christian Dior Tie
No name wool scarf
Pendleton Scarf
White Canali shirt 44/17.5 - too big for me so it's up for grabs if someone wants it.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
the su misera jacket is a sportcoat. see how the tag says JACKET? if it were part of a suit it'd say suit. so nice find!

I caught the "jacket" part, but I saw the "drop" box had a 7 in it and thought that drop related to pants' waist size. Either way, I'm working on how how interpret what's on information tags. Thanks for the help! -M-

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PRL tweed blazer

Left behind:

:eh: I am dissapointed in you AndroFan, you are normally such an enthusiastic guy and you done real good today, and no excited capatilzations, whoo hooo's etc? Comon dude, this is good thrifting by you, lets hear some emotion ;)

Had a decent day after another bit of a drought. Found myself a really cool pair of Ballin (?!) pants in sort of a burnt umber that are just totally... ballin. (*cough*)
Also snagged this really neat tie by Geoff Nicholson. Never heard of him, but it's self-tipped and 100% wool that feels like cashmere. Just a lovely feel.

Also picked up this nice woven Altea. Really sharp looking.

Snagged the following jackets, even though they don't fit (aka they're for trade or sale).
Faconnable Tailleur insane glen plaid jacket in cream/black/blue/green. Working cuffs, made in italy, 15% cashmere 85% wool. Tag says 56, so... <>46 or so.

Jack Victor 3-button (or maybe 3 roll 2, who knows) butterscotch sport coat in 100% cashmere Loro Piana fabric. Made in Canada for Mark Shale. Size 43.
[/
quote]

Faconnable = :drool: and it fits me. Want to dibs, but this brand run short on me. If it is a long, then DIBS DIBS DIBS. I found a Faconnable SC today, very very good quality. I flipped one in a guncheck pattern to a member here, that was an awesome SC, I was pissed it was too short on me. Faconnable = very good brand for tailored stuff. They tend to cater to mid range casual gear, so I suppose they are not terribly popular here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads