The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petitnoblesse

petitnoblesse Senior member

Found 8 silk BB ties at $1.99 each, and a grey glen plaid BB Golden Fleece sports coat. The only real downer to the whole experience was an orphaned chalk stripe Kilgour in a beautiful flannel. I refuse to buy orphans anymore.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I refuse to buy orphans anymore.

Are there no workhouses? Best to decrease the surplus population.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Here is the Anderson & Sheppard tie with the great label keeper. The silk has a very dry hand, almost like a fine linen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Incotex cords:

[​IMG]

$10 total for both.

4. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any good thrifting in boston?

I don't know about thrifting there, but I will say that Bobby From Boston is the best vintage men's store I've ever been to. So good I think about buying plane tickets to Boston just to visit it.

5. petitnoblesse

petitnoblesse Senior member

Are there no workhouses? Best to decrease the surplus population.

Well played sir, well played.

6. danbachran2

danbachran2 Well-Known Member

Found a bunch of Robert Talbott, Ermenigildo Zegna, Giorgio Armani, Hickey Freeman Ties at Goodwill. 9 in total...They're for sale in B/S..there's a link in my signature...take a look [​IMG] (Moderator, if this is unacceptable then i will delete my post...I'm not quite sure if i can do this)

7. 1969

1969 Senior member

Pair of Black AE's with the bicycle toe (forget the model name) for $7. VGC- thanks Goodwill.

8. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Some strange labels lately.

Saw shirts and PJs from Depinna and Best & Co. These are oldline NY dept stores whose loss was already lamented in the Preppy Handbook a quarter century ago. I think the NYPL Midtown branch is in the bldg built for one of them.

Also saw a large # of South American items. One 50s blue flannel coat from a Buenos Aires tailor with a then-prestigious Calle Florida address. But it was long for me and stiffly fused.

There was also a nice full canvas suit from a tailor in Bogota, but there was a slash at the neck (make up your own stories) and reweaving the plaid would have been $$$.

Various shirts from brands in Peru, Brazil. Not quite for me.

Closer to home: a mustard colored cotton crepe shirt, and a blue worsted blazer, both from Battaglia. This is one of the first US stores to import Italian luxury goods postwar. Not sure who does their private label tailored stuff, but I think it's on the Belvest level. Blazer is a 2B with a just a bit of roping, which is coming back of course. All it needs is a few cuff buttons.

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

R. Caruso navy jacket. Beautifully made, with functioning cuff buttons, superfine wool, etc. I am pretty certain this is an orphan suit jacket. The other snag is that the middle jacket button is missing. Still, it is a Caruso. It's not my size, so if someone wants to give an orphan a home, you can have it v. cheap, plus shipping from Aus, of course.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Found a bunch of Robert Talbott, Ermenigildo Zegna, Giorgio Armani, Hickey Freeman Ties at Goodwill. 9 in total...They're for sale in B/S..there's a link in my signature...take a look [​IMG] (Moderator, if this is unacceptable then i will delete my post...I'm not quite sure if i can do this)

Just my own personal opinion, but I think you're probably overly optimistic in your pricing. I say that as someone with a lot of tie selling experience in B&S. That said, I'd love for you to prove me wrong as I could then ask more for my ties! [​IMG]

Good luck selling. They're quite nice ties.

11. VMan

VMan Senior member

Alan, that A&S tie looks like it was made by Holliday & Brown.

12. af1snaikboi

af1snaikboi Senior member

Burberry Suit $35 - not my size, its 42R i think if anyone is interested

[​IMG]

Burberry Jacket $5 - not my size either =(

[​IMG]

Both have Saks tags on the inside, think id be ablt o get any $ off ebay for em?

13. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

14. mbell

mbell Senior member

Pickings here in Austin have been very slim the last few months and store turnover seems to be real slow right now.

As I've been switching out clothes for the season I've rediscovered some nice thrift store finds that had been put away until now. Some seersucker pants and a couple of linen shirts from RL Polo. A couple nice seersucker shirts from Brooks Brothers. An orange Brioni linen shirt I had bought as end of the season clearance from a consignment store. I think I paid about $20 for it.

Yesterday at a thrift store I saw about 15-20 blue ties with little red jock straps on them. The tag was some sports museum and said "Thanks for your support." [​IMG] They are $2. I didn't buy one, but I know a few sports guys that might like them.

mike

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Both have Saks tags on the inside, think id be ablt o get any $ off ebay for em?
    You'll have better luck if you have a dummy. Dress 'em up pretty and the right photo angle and the Burberry name might move 'em for you. What size is the sportcoat? I like the cloth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.