Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Need moar details....

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

This bank needs visiting hours.

Hit up a few stores on my trip to Boston. Picked up a few really nice Southwick Sport Coats & Suits (No one here seems to really like the brand but they are quality items, imo), a bunch of shirts (Zegna, RG, BB Luxury, etc), Older Canali, vintage A&F shirt w/ MOP buttons, and a few other things. Not something I would usually buy, but a Versace V2 sweater for $6 with 3 "gold" Versace buttons on the neck area.... I think its real but will get pictures up on Monday when I'm back.

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Of course.

I remember the first time we met I was going through the suit coats/SC's, you came on the other end and started looking as well. You flipped through those things so fast I knew it had to be Nataku! :laugh:

I feel like you have to go through that section first though :thumbs-up:

Nice :slayer:

If you want to keep it you should of course, but for whatever reason Isaia/Caruso have been my bread and butter lately.

I wear 16.5/17 depending on fit, I'm just glad you got it for a SF member :)

With Borrelli 16.5's are too tight in the chest/arms, so I have to size up to a 17 where it is too big in the waist.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:) Curious to see the Versace. Lets see if I can guess what it is just by that one sentence - its a black merino wool, probably ribbed, probably a wide boat neck?

Regards to the bank, I see a bunch of stuff I want in this thread sometimes, so Im starting a little side bank of stuff to offer up in trade if I do. I don't really have the time to thrift anymore, so its only NWT stuff or closet stuff. Right now, its a few NWT RL knit ties, NWT Nicky Milano tie, and a few squares.

5. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Had a decent day after another bit of a drought. Found myself a really cool pair of Ballin (?!) pants in sort of a burnt umber that are just totally... ballin. (*cough*)

Also snagged this really neat tie by Geoff Nicholson. Never heard of him, but it's self-tipped and 100% wool that feels like cashmere. Just a lovely feel.

[​IMG]

Also picked up this nice woven Altea. Really sharp looking.

[​IMG]

Snagged the following jackets, even though they don't fit (aka they're for trade or sale).

Faconnable Tailleur insane glen plaid jacket in cream/black/blue/green. Working cuffs, made in italy, 15% cashmere 85% wool. Tag says 56, so... <>46 or so.

[​IMG]

Jack Victor 3-button (or maybe 3 roll 2, who knows) butterscotch sport coat in 100% cashmere Loro Piana fabric. Made in Canada for Mark Shale. Size 43.

[​IMG]

6. MattR

MattR Senior member

Love me some Southwick. The lack of interest seems to come up pretty frequently (that is, I've seen it mentioned here at least twice in the last week or so). Maybe something to do with a closer association to american trad/NE university look. In any case, if the chest measure 21" and the length is 29.5 (BOC) or less, get at me!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

That facconable is nice!

If it's around a size 42 or 46 let me know ;)

IIRC Southwick will be making the golden fleece line for BB from now on, might bring some recognition to the brand.

8. MattR

MattR Senior member

I've read that, too. Can't remember where, though (probably here, ha).

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Nothing at the thrifts yesterday or today. Wandered through the mall today to try on some desert boots at the Clarks store and found a couple cheap but serviceable pocket squares at Dillard's. Then hit up the TJMaxx in the not great part of town hoping for some RLPL that had been marked to 90% off. No Purple Label to be found, but plenty of John Varvatos stuff. Not really my style and not enough of a margin for resale, but a shit ton of it. Some SWD denizen would be in heaven.

10. catside

catside Senior member

BB bought Southwick. They will be making most their lines except outlet.

SOUTHWICK

In July 2008, in keeping with its historic claim to being Maker and Merchant in one, Brooks Brothers purchased the 70-year-old clothing manufacturer and in 2009, built a new, state-of-the-art suit factory in Haverhill, Massachusetts, to house the legendary label.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

No kidding. Should have googled it., haha.

12. catside

catside Senior member

I personally like Southwick.

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I have heard southwich makes a pretty soft shoulder, is this correct?

14. catside

catside Senior member

They used to. Most I wore is thrifted and relatively old 3/2.

15. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Picked up this pretty yummy D'Avenza in a soft gray flannel stripe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Plus some BB, Robert Talbot BOC and Paul Stuart ties, and some scarves for the Wifey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.