The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

New rule: you must change your avatar to Danny Trejo at once.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

OMG yes, I've had a mental image of Danny Trejo in my head ever since mexecutioner started posting in this thread...

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Caruso, glad to give it you. Need to get at least a couple of wears from it though ;).
    RLPL? Did not know you were a 16.5 my friend, would have certainly offered it to you right away. As it is, dibbed by another gent on this forum.

I agree with this gentleman. I like Paul Smith stuff. The London and PS lines are lower quality, but mainline stuff is generally good.

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

LOL you guys are lucky i'm still procrastiworking on a friday night.

[​IMG]

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Haha, CLASSIC.

Well, it was more of a question, but thanks. Of the limited stuff I've handled, I really can't tell the difference between Paul Smith mainline and the usual vaunted suspects.

P.S. When you are going to finish that story about the experiment you helped conduct in grad school? The one with the labeled vs. unlabeled shirts, and so forth. I found it...fascinating -- but didn't want to just assume that the outcome matched-up with my own experiences.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Oh, it was a project I suggested to a lady friend. She was working on her Psychology MA. The aim of the project was to see the effect of name brands on public perception of quality. I gave her a list of name brand shirts, shirts that rule, and a list of garbage shirts. Object was to tape over the brand tags, and have people come in and pick their favourite shirt. Then 2 weeks or so later, they come back with brand names visible and select their favourite shirt. To make experiment unbiased, I suggested to her to get just white shirts, no gimmicks.

I dont remember the results exactly but they showed that in a blindfold experiment people were more likely to select the shirts that appeared best quality (these choices were wierd and bizzare but there was evidence to suggest a higher % of people thought the Borrelli / Kiton quality shirts she had were the best). When the brand name was obvious, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, and brands like Gucci and Prada bubbled to the top. If memory serves me right, a Target branded shirt got more votes than Borrelli / Kiton. She did the analysis between first and second experiments, and only a few people were consistent in choosing the shirts the second time. Analysis showed that people did not have a clue really. I might still have her thesis somewhere as an old Latex file.

To make a further point, look at this online ranking of clothes. It is complete douchebaggery.
    http://shareranks.com/2913,Top-20-Clothing-Brands-for-Men

They did this research on Tylenol and some generic brand pain pills. Tylenol apparently works better than generic brand even though they are exactly the same fucking pills. It is a placebo like effect - branding really really works and people are more likely to pick brand. That must be why companies pay big bucks for advertising. Of course I buy generic brand pain pills because I know damn well Tylenol and generic brand probably made in same factory, one pill goes one way, other pill goes other way. Same stuff, same effect, but ultimately it is all in the mind.

7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

to be fair, this forum has its own share of placebo effect. i remember there was a thread where someone put up an AE Park Avenue next to one of the high-dollar english brand shoes, and they really looked alike, even though lots a people always criticize the AE for being inelegant or whatever.

8. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

DELETE

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  9. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

True. I found these yesterday. I know that they're "just" AEs, but this board's brought us into a world where we're all negotiating for the Lattanzi bluchers while sometimes forgetting that the stuff that 90% of men can't afford is still pretty damn good. Until we can figure out a way to wear our clothes inside-out, this label obsession is just our particular pathology. Sew a Kiton label on a Samuelsohn sportcoat, and most guys here would treat it with reverence. But I will say that, looking at pictures of myself from old family vacations where I'm wearing a Sears Protocol shirt with a Sears tie, there's no question that some things are inelegant.

[​IMG]

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Not super high end like my buddy Klobber's score...But the SVDP had NWOT Brooks Brothers button downs for $8 (tag marked out from the downtown store). I bought every 17/35 they had. 3 at $8, found one that made it's way normal rack that was 1/2 off. Also two pairs of 38/30 BB Chinos also NWOT. All staple colors and non-iron so they are perfect for work.

11. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

12. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

This morning:

Polo RL Made in USA Camel sport coat, 42R
    Zegna MTM navy blazer (with gold Zegna buttons) EUR52
    Zegna Wool/Cashmere brown and blue check sport coat EUR52

Passed on:
    About 3-4 Samuelsohn's (was in a rush), not my size
    Oxxford 40R POW check jacket - looked very dated even for $10

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Picked these up today. Real or Fake?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  14. mainy

mainy Senior member

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yep, late 80s maybe.

Side note, picked up a few things today that I am keeping in a "thrift exchange bank", so if someone gets something I like, Ive got some cool stuff at the ready. Be warned. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.