• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK what the heck, here goes. This is not just my wifes find today, but also some of my cool finds last few weeks. It has been great for me for non clothing items. I used to deal in compound bows and I got 3 for an absolute bargain. That is close to $2.5K profit if I do decide to sell them (the bows are too cool, I may keep). Sorry for sucky pictures, it is dark and the camera is wierd unless light is perfect. Also took pics fast.

Non Clothing Items but too Cool not to Mention:

Hemp Rice bags
Crate & Barrel Sofa
Loro Piana Linens (Used as pillow cases)
Set of Pistol Crossbows (Trident, Trident II, and some weird fishing crossbow)
Mathews Custom 110LB bow
Bowtech Tribute 90LB bow
Elite GT500 80LB bow

Really pleased with the Loro Piana Linens – now will have my furniture decked out in this stuff. Love the fabric and color :drool:. My wife done good methinks. The sofa is deal of the day, $10 and it is brand new literally. It costs over $1K in furniture stores. What do you think of the pillows? Cool or what? My wife made them from the rice bags she thrifted.

Got crossbows and compound bows from garage sales – purchased them for an absolute pinch. I love shooting with powerful equipment, although the 110LB bow is quite hard to pull back and after about 10 shots, my muscles ache and groan under that power. The power of that bow has to be seen to be believed; I will make a Youtube video on it one day. The arrow has so much energy and momentum, I have no doubt this weapon would kill an elephant (as a test, the arrow flies 1000+ pages through a couple of telephone directories, plowed through a 2 by 4 solid wood backing behind it, and hit the concrete wall shattering the arrow. I doubt a 22 bullet would have such penetration). If the arrow was equipped with a decent broadhead rather than target point, the penetration from it would be phenomenal. I calculated the energy at close to 140ftLB’s of KE – that is without doubt the most powerful bow I have ever owned. The guy I bought it from said he shot an Elk walking towards him and the arrow came out its butt. Interesting though, I used to have a Hoyt custom made bow set at 130LB’s of draw weight, and it was not as powerful as the 110LB bow.

Pistol crossbows = plinkers but nonetheless weapons deserving of respect. The Barnett Trident crossbows penetrate about 500 pages in a telephone directory (similar to a lower power bb/pellet gun). Shot a 2mm steel sheet, bolts punch a hole right through. Penetrates about an inch and a half in solid wood. However, bolts do not fly accurately or very far (about 30 yards is maximum range after which bolt drop from gravity is very noticeable).

Sorry if this section bores you guys, I just feel like a kid who got his first Daisy Red Ryder.

Clothing:

Wife Pickup Today

Burberry XXL

Dolce and Gabbana XXXL

Stone Island XXL

Gucci Shirt 17.5

Dolce and Gabbana Shirt 18

Dolce and Gabbana Shirt 17.5

Emporio Armani Shirt XXL

Armani Collezioni Shirts (3 of them, all size 18)

Isaia 17.5

Ralph Lauren Purple Label 17.5

Stone Island XXL

Pants Brunello Cucinelli 40

Pants Loro Piana 40 beige

Zanella Pants 40 Green

Dior Homme Pants 54 Black

Ralph Lauren Black Label Pants 38

What I found last few weeks

Hickey Freeman 44 Double vent flap, recent

Brooks Brothers Light Beige Made in Italy SZ 45

Brooks Brothers SZ 12

Kswiss 12

Nike 12

Stewie

Reaction score
Couple pairs of shoes today - AE Bradley's, and pair of Aldens. Not sure if the AE's are gonna last as they werent taken too good of care and seem to be fairly dried out...but I'll try my hand at giving them some love and see how they turn out.

And my vintage finds included a cool jansport vest with corduroy trim, Sierra Designs super lightweight wind/rain jacket, North Face Extreme Goretex jacket. And a cool 60's studio pottery lamp that I need to loosen up the post on the bottom to see if any mark on the bottom.

D.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ammended picture for Brooks Brothers double post. Man I got to get me a new camera fast, these picks suck :fu:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large men everywhere just collectively creamed themselves. That's an insane haul man. The pillows look amazing, the bow sounds cool, and your life basically rules right about now. +5 billion for you, sir.

OK what the heck, here goes. This is not just my wifes find today, but also some of my cool finds last few weeks. It has been great for me for non clothing items. I used to deal in compound bows and I got 3 for an absolute bargain. That is close to $2.5K profit if I do decide to sell them (the bows are too cool, I may keep). Sorry for sucky pictures, it is dark and the camera is wierd unless light is perfect. Also took pics fast.
Non Clothing Items but too Cool not to Mention:
Hemp Rice bags
Crate & Barrel Sofa
Loro Piana Linens (Used as pillow cases)
Set of Pistol Crossbows (Trident, Trident II, and some weird fishing crossbow)
Mathews Custom 110LB bow
Bowtech Tribute 90LB bow
Elite GT500 80LB bow

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lurk: REMEMBER YOUR 40R BROTHERS IN THE BATTLE!

I think he means 42L/44L :slayer:

Or 16.5/17 shirts, and size 11.5 or 12 shoes :D

Whoa, what!?!
Dang, that's awesome! I just hate to think what suits/jackets/outerwear was missed. That's the first section I hit when I go to a thrift.

x2

Klobber I love Matthews bows! I have an older matthews outback myself. It's only at 70lbs now though. Those are insane weights! Do you ever sell them? That kind of thing would be the first thing purchased from a garage sale around here. :laugh:

Amazing haul on the shirts, some really nice colors/patterns as well ( you like the loud patterns IIRC? )

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klobber, what store donated all that stuff? That is pretty weird / insane.

Wait, those have Yoox return tags on them. Yoox stuff at a thrift store? Hmm... WTF. This is intriguing. Makes me think it came from a person, a very loaded one.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Klobber, what store donated all that stuff? That is pretty weird / insane.
Wait, those have Yoox return tags on them. Yoox stuff at a thrift store? Hmm... WTF. This is intriguing. Makes me think it came from a person, a very loaded one.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. They've got the teal tag seals. I think Daffy's uses them too.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Official Thrift/Discount Store Bragging Thread: Now With Crossbows :wow:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klobber, your wife wins the thread. Amazing. Also, that bow is pretty scary
butbut.gif

itsparker

Reaction score
I think it was a decent haul. The only things I've bought in the past few weeks and I've been hitting the stores hard.
Edit: Someone please tell me how to add spoilers...

Donegal Mist. Seemed decent.

Ralph Lauren Loafer

Cole Haan loafer. Rather vintage - I think

Savile Row. Dark blue and two button

Can anyone comment on the Donegal Mist? Is it garbage? Decent? Or what? Of the course the Savile Row should be good in terms or quality, right?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple pairs of shoes today - AE Bradley's, and pair of Aldens. Not sure if the AE's are gonna last as they werent taken too good of care and seem to be fairly dried out...but I'll try my hand at giving them some love and see how they turn out.

And my vintage finds included a cool jansport vest with corduroy trim, Sierra Designs super lightweight wind/rain jacket, North Face Extreme Goretex jacket. And a cool 60's studio pottery lamp that I need to loosen up the post on the bottom to see if any mark on the bottom.
D.

Dibs if the Alden's are 10-10.5!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klobber: Wow! That is insane! The C&B couch is an insane score for $10. I never find nice furniture at thrift stores. Only at garage/estate sales and they usually have it priced accordingly. What's the deal with the Loro Piana pillow cases? Never even knew they did linens! Wow - you must be baller to have Loro Piana sheets and pillow cases! Those cross-bows are crazy - looks like an awesome find. The clothing is equally as amazing. Tell your wife she did a job well done :D

And my vintage finds included a cool jansport vest with corduroy trim, Sierra Designs super lightweight wind/rain jacket, North Face Extreme Goretex jacket.

Nice to see someone else who's into vintage backpacking stuff. That Jansport vest sounds cool. What decade is the SD from? Their stuff from the 60's and 70's is top notch.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klobber! Wow!
My best regards to your wife man. She also thought we were cool. That's like 2-nil in my book now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads