1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

I think my radar might be way off on the desirability of Harris Tweeds. Since I'm in a colder climate (Canada) I could literally bag 6-8 HT jackets per thrift. I always leave them thinking that they are just as ubiquitous everywhere else.

Maybe I should start picking more of them up and making them available. My recent one was only purchased because it was way up there on the fit/quality/fabric scale.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I personally like them a lot, but I also just like tweed generally. They're definitely higher quality than many of the other tweed jackets I see. I actually like these 2 better than the PRL tweed jacket I have for myself.

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

You are a noob to the thread, no? You conveniently cut that part out. I said "thread noob."

4. WRAdviser

WRAdviser Member

LOL looks like I'm in the dumpster of Style Forum.

A buncha cockroaches scurrying when the light turns on.

< Backs away slowly >

5. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Now I remember why I stopped posting in SF for the last few months. 500 Pseudo-intellectuals in a pissing match about how a f*cking thread should be structured, moderated, conducted and to what extent converations out of the originally intended scope should be tolerated. Sounds like fun.

Catch you guys on eBay; there are more morons there but the morons are easy to please. :D

6. catside

catside Senior member

Troll invasion of the thread it seems. :confused:

7. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

If time allows I will get us back on track with some of the finds from this week. My favorite was from a store I now call 'The Orphanage' - an orphaned Canali, Brioni and Oxxford (I think) jacket all on the same rack where they only had maybe 25 for sale. I went through the pants for an hour. At least they were patterns that could work as a sport coat.

8. thrift-fu

thrift-fu Active Member

I hear you on this. There's easily that many in each store around here. Often they're by a mediocre label or have no label besides Harris Tweed. I don't pay them any mind anymore since I already have enough of them.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

How do you guys order what you look for at in thrift stores?

I go in this order:

1. Dress shirts
    2. Suits / Sport coats
    3. Casual Jackets / Long Coats / Leather Jackets (often in womans section or mixed gender)
    4. Pants and Jeans
    5. Sweaters
    6. Ties
    7. Casual Shirts / Polos / Short Sleeves
    8. Shoes
    9. Furniture and antiques
    10. Sporting Equipment
    (I am still looking for a good home gym with olympic barbell and set of free weights- need to get benching again)
    11. Electronics
    12. DVD's / Video games
    (Dont make fun of me because at 35 years old I still enjoy playing games :( )

If time permits, I wade through womans clothing although usually my wife is my everpresent sidekick and she knows the brands as well as I do.

I do not go through mounds of tee shirts. I never wear tees other than as undergarments. Walmart or Hanes brand does me good and it is cheaper than thrift store tees :lol:. As for shorts, I dont wear shorts either and if I do, they are usually 3/4 length or military style camo (I usually buy shorts from army surplus / tactical gear places).

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I go:

1. Shoes
    2. Bags/Messengers (I've been looking for a nice cheap black one for forever now...finally found a mocha colored one that will do today, but I'll keep looking)
    3. Long Coats
    4. Suits/SCs
    5. Sweaters
    6. Shirts
    7. Ties

I do shoes first because depressingly enough, there are never any good ones anyway where I go, and they have so few that I feel like I might as well get the disappointment out of the way, haha. I also want some nicer shoes more than I want anything else right now, so the potential payoff of checking there first is the greatest.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Found an Atari 2600 last night with all the controllers and 5 or 6 cartriges ($15). Can't wait to break it out this weekend for a bit.

1. Shoes
    2. Ties
    3. Suits / SCs
    4. Outerwear
    5. Pants
    6. Sweaters/Shirts
    7. Womens Scarves...for pocket squares
    8. Dishes...for Anchor Hocking, Fire King
    9. Electronics ...for Polaroid
    10. Antiques, although usually rediculously overpriced.

12. dongale

dongale Active Member

Quote:
    That's how I go about it: in order of need. Right now, I most need shoes, pants, and jackets. I hit those first. I rarely even look at shirts because I never find anything worth wearing.

13. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Being new at thrifting, I started with whatever mens stuff was on the right hand part of the store, usually ties. After a few trips, I figured out if I found any ties, I had to carry them all over the store looking at other stuff. Now I go:

1. Shoes (as there normally aren't any as Andro mentioned)
    2. Suits/SC
    3. The "better Quality" racks
    4. Jeans
    5. Wade through all the Dockers
    6. Shirts
    7. Ties/Belts

14. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

DELETE

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  15. lastdonb