Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theinternet

theinternet Well-Known Member

Hello gentleman. This is my first post in this thread. I recent picked up 4 blazers at various local thrift stores, 3 of which I am thrilled with however they are currently with my tailor. This fourth one below I am a bit unsure of. I've seen older gentlemen wear this type of baby blue blazer with matching pants once or twice, but otherwise have no clue what kind of blazer it is (type), the occasions that it is appropriate for, or if it is still something that a guy can pull off nowadays. It didn't set me back much, but it was too outrageous to pass on. It is a Jordache jacket made of poly blend, nothing worth writing home about. Please ignore the non-matching clothes. I just picked it up after work and popped it on for the picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

2. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

Found a Zegna sport coat and grey 3-button suit today. Not my size, and I vowed not to buy anything I wouldn't personally wear, but hey, Zegna!

If I post measurements could someone help me approximate the actual "size?" It has an info tag but none of the numbers seemed to reliably indicate sizing. It's probably a 36-38S.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

ME ME ME Dibs based on measurements! Just send them to me in a PM [​IMG]

4. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Who needs Kiton when you can wear poly blend Jordache. :slayer:

Dear god I hope you are a troll.

5. theinternet

Most definitely not a troll. It is obviously no prize. The material is not a problem for me. I can own a few pieces that are not made entirely of cotton, cashmere, or silk, as I'm sure you do. I just thought it was an interesting piece and wanted to know about the style as I have seen gentlemen wear nicer versions and look great.

6. Brianpore

The shoulders look big? maybe not, but if you want a real opinion toss it in the "ask a tailor" thread.

7. theinternet

Right before the picture I lifted my arms over my head, and the jacket remained a bit spread. The jacket is a 36R which I typically wear.

8. tben

tben Senior member

Got the chance to go out for a little bit in between working.

Picked up:
    -A BB suits in a Dark Grey/Charcoal color-39R
    -A vintage BB Sweater- Medium
    -An E. Zegna Polo Shirt- Large
    -A Fendi SC, at first I thought it was an orphan but now I am not sure- its around a 42L
    -A Trussini suit. I am not really familiar with the maker but the store that it came from is high end. To my relatively untrained eye, it looks like a quality item. It is half-canvassed, Split Vents, Made in Italy, with Super 120's. 42R 36W
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I don't think this has any real value you but I picked this up for fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If anyone is interested, everything is available.

9. Brianpore

Nice tie, seem to bring $10-$20 used on ebay after a quick search.

10. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

One of the things I almost picked up today was a nearly-new HSM navy SC. It fit perfectly, except that it was about 2 inches too long, which I understand is not fixable. Apparently it must have been a 42L tailored for someone with T-Rex arms. Ugh. Felt like there was enough fabric to re-lengthen the sleeves though. If anyone's interested I could go back for it.

11. catside

catside Senior member

Thrifters can afford to be snobs. Because on a good day I can find a 5K blazer for 12.99 as many did report here. So return that thing, spend the time to read all the thrifting pages, and eventually you will find something much nicer. Do not post it on tailors' thread. Some people will be harsh. Altough you are future competition, my 2 cents worth of advice.
    BTW normally I would say wear if you like, but I know those jackets and lack of quality really shows in real person.

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I agree. You don't want to be too nice and have him post some details in your feedback.

One time I refunded someone return shipping (I must have been feeling generous) and they guy posted in my feedback that I was great, did this, yada, yada. Well, I was asked several times by othr buyers afterward to do the same. Coincidence? I don't know but it may have been due to that feedback.

13. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Are you fucking kidding me -_-. I spent two weeks looking for suits like this. PMed you about the RLPL and Isai suit, not sure if you are open to trade or just cash, but either way let me know.

Today, had a pretty good day (or I fucking thought I did until I saw his post. Not angry, just bitter :p). Will get pics up later on tonight or tomorrow morning (have a group meeting for a class in a few). Picked up a few things I thought some people up here would like:

1 Chester Barrie Glen Plaid Sports coat. Hand Tailored, Made in England, damn beautiful deep olive with subtle red and a bit of brown in there. Too big for me. I literally almost wept in the store after I checked the size. 42 L/106CM

1 Ascot Chang, solid light olive/tealish shirt. Big on me, I'd venture to say its about a 16 37- 41 (didn't really check the arms in the store)

1 Thomas Pink 14.5 / 33 Multicolored Pinstripe Shirt. What's crazy is I was putting down an HF shirt and just saw this, was a bit wrinkled and thought it was nothing, then looked at the collars and cuffs and realized the quality. Was shocked to see this in the kids section. Bit too small. Kind of ridiculous the luck I have with my finds.

And finally, for myself, a Southwick for Adler's charcoal pinstripe suit for that interview I needed :slayer:. Currently in the tailor getting done for Friday.

Had to leave behind three Carroll and Co. shirts, an Isaia Jacket about a 42L (wasn't sure if it was a sports coat or a suit, pics here since I have it on my phone with me), a Charvet shirt (my first, but looked faded, bad cell phone pic also attached), a BB Golden Fleece Hand tailored suit (probably about 42L as well), a Corneliani Camel Hair coat (had a small hole in the lining, think it was a 40R) and some Zanella pants. Didn't even want to keep looking as I knew I couldn't spend the money. Probably going back Saturday or so to take another look, possibly tomorrow if this Isaia is an SC.

ISAIA tag, the more I look at it the more I think it's a coat. Really hope it's there when I'm back.
    [​IMG]

Charvet shirt
    [​IMG]

14. Brianpore

Think you might be late to the party. Sorry your invitation got lost in the mail.

Quote: I find some of my best stuff (that fits 14.5 and 36S) in the womens,never thought about checking the kids that might just be creepy. This shirt slim at all? Whats the chest measurement?

15. theinternet

Thanks for the advice. When I thrift quality and fit are the two most important factors, but if I find something that fits well that isn't a high quality piece, I still may buy it. Sure, I like nicer clothes like any of us do, but I'm not chasing particular brands. The blazer was $5 with a no return policy, so its not the end of the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.