• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Small sizes in a thrift store are few and far between when you live in a state that is a haven for illegal immigration.

Wut? That makes no sense. I shop in the same general area as Dig and none of the people to whom he is referring spend any time looking at any item we'd consider worthwhile. They are usually shorter than me though....so I guess I get that.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow! Two days out of town and nearly 300 posts to catch up on. Took me an hour and a half to read everything. Looks like everyone had a pretty nice weekend and I am no exception. I haven't gotten a chance to take any photos yet, but hopefully will have time tonight.

350 mile round trip home for the weekend. 10 thrift stores (would have been more, but time was a factor.)

Picked up:
A Kenneth Mackenzie Harris Tweed Top Coat, nearly solid black.
An unbranded Herringbone Tweed Suit Brown
Several SCs (Brooks Brothers, 6 or 7 Harris Tweed, Christopher Dawes Tweed, Oxxford Onwentsia, 2 or 3 Burberry)
Etro Tie
My favorite was a very bold Houndstooth trench which is unmarked other than "Made in England" in the collar and "Gamekeeper" inside the front pocket.

Left behind 5 Alexandre Suits and 1 Alexandre SC all with generous amounts of pick stitching. I was in line with them until I realized they were all made in Egypt. Definitely still worth $20 each, but I lost most of my excitement when I saw it, so I put them back. They were at the Millersville MD GW if anyone lives close by and want to go pick them up.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, no one throw any stones....I'm looking for a gray Harris Tweed jacket for cheap. No luck thrifting yet. There are tons on ebay. I've seen several older looking Stafford tweeds. Was Stafford at any time a quality brand? Or has it always been cheap stuff?

Did you find one? I must have 20-30 Harris Tweeds (several in gray) and can flip you one cheap. PM me if you are still looking.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally getting around to posting those photos... holy cow this thread was flying over the weekend!

Tyrone MacStophian - awesome find on those Peals!

horses_ass shame about the suit but those pants DO rock and I imagine they're already sold ;)

rathebaindc, those Oxxford trousers would fit me... but I don't really need any more wool pants >.< Might PM you anyway...

Mainy, Nataku: you gotta be ******** ME about those old workwear shirts. I see tons of those. I've thought about flipping them before - fivebrother is another brand I've looked at / see a lot of, are those worthwhile? - but always seemed very hit-or-miss in completeds. I guess I should pick up some smalls or mediums and see what happens.

Anyway, here's snaps of my haul this weekend, in no particular order:

HSM Made in Italy coat size L, should have taken an inside shot - it's quilted with a (wool?) plaid lining at the bottom too, this thing is. awesome. period. full.stop. ;)
P1070180.JPG

Bergdorf Goodman trench-ish-thing - this has covered buttons, belt-like-straps inside, really interesting, size 42:
P1070181.JPG

P1070182.JPG

The Kitchenaid Accolade 400 with all the crap... don't overlook housewares, guys - if I end up selling this it'll bring $200, maybe more since it has all the stuff with it
P1070183.JPG

Most of the first store haul - gurkha pants and jeans from Bills, whoda thunk it?! ;)
P1070185.JPG

That Canali tie... Yeah, some of the thin silks are meh, especially older ones - but this is a woven silk and heavier, just not sure if I can pull off the pattern:
P1070186.JPG

Oxxford SC for me... patch pockets, metal buttons, this will be great for summer. Did find one tiny moth hole up by the shoulder when taking the pics. :brick: but I'll wear it anyway - this kind of staple thing is nice to see from Oxxford
P1070187.JPG

Labels of those Zegna pleated trousers... made by Inco, right?
P1070191.JPG

True Religion:
P1070192.JPG

Kenwood amp:
P1070194.JPG

Kenwood tuner:
P1070195.JPG

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was nearly murdered in GW by two women the last time I thrifted one of these. We own one and love it. Purchased it new on sale for over $300. The one I thrifted I picked up for $10 with all the basic attachment, sold it right away BIN for 200+. Great Find, love that color too.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I was made similarly confused/uncomfortable by that statement.

Apologies for absentmindedly injecting a bit of politics into this thread. No offense was intended by my hamfisted comment.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple quick notes for those trying to make a few bucks to fund this hobby:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Cole-v...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item3a6f436a2a
If you aren't picking up old flannel work shirts, especially in small sizes, you are crazy. Japanese bidder bought this, I have at least 4 or 5 more to list. This type of stuff is super easy to find in the Midwest.
Willis & Geiger:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willis-Geig...91862?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item3a6f4368b6
Nataku put me onto this brand and people are crazy for it. I have 2 bush poplin coats i need to list, and at least 2-3 other shirts! :slayer:

Hmmmm, there are tons of those in the thrifts around me. :paranoia:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apologies for absentmindedly injecting a bit of politics into this thread. No offense was intended by my hamfisted comment.

That is nice of you. Let's do not forget that the real purpose of a "real" thrift shop is to provide clothing on the cheap to people without means, and charity through money earned.

Shiny

Reaction score

I agree that we should stop these Canadian comedians like Martin Short, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, etc. from coming to this country and take jobs from hard-working American comics.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Made a few stops yesterday afternoon and came up pretty empty handed except for a vintage Stearns goose down winter vest for myself. Was reasonably priced at least at a place that charged $50 for Zegna shirts.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I have a somewhat interesting thrifting story. We were out of town yesterday and hit the a GW where we were at. Anyway they had the pants one one long rack, one side jeans, the other dress pants. I'm going through the dress pants, and on the other side is a blonde haired girl, my guess mid 20's looking through the jeans. She is going at about the same pace I am, when she leads forward to look at something. Nice cleavage shot and she was wearing a very cute light purple bra (she was wearing a loose fitting l/s t-shirt. Given what I normally see in thrift stores....this was a very pleasant sight.

You know the rules...Pics or it didn't happen.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I have a somewhat interesting thrifting story. We were out of town yesterday and hit the a GW where we were at. Anyway they had the pants one one long rack, one side jeans, the other dress pants. I'm going through the dress pants, and on the other side is a blonde haired girl, my guess mid 20's looking through the jeans. She is going at about the same pace I am, when she leads forward to look at something. Nice cleavage shot and she was wearing a very cute light purple bra (she was wearing a loose fitting l/s t-shirt. Given what I normally see in thrift stores....this was a very pleasant sight.

It's moments like this that erase all the horrid images of disease-infested cat hoarders, cross dressers and other undesirable sights. Makes thrifting a hell of a lot more pleasant. Oh and +1 on the pics! :nodding:

The Kitchenaid Accolade 400 with all the crap... don't overlook housewares, guys - if I end up selling this it'll bring $200, maybe more since it has all the stuff with it
P1070183.JPG

Kenwood amp:
P1070194.JPG

Kenwood tuner:
P1070195.JPG

My wife would go crazy for that Kitchenaid! She's been pestering me about a bright pink one at Williams Sonoma for about the last year. She has a perfectly good serviceable (and pretty new too, maybe 3 years old) white one. Maybe women collect these things as we do suits and shoes? :laugh: In any case, this is a perfect example to always check the housewares. The Accolade is the upper model too. Score!!

Those Kenwoods are beauties, too. ;)

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score

Much better what did I see at the Goodwill than mine from last week:

Originally Posted by lastdonb

Stopped at GW on the way home, Thurs. dollar day. Heading over to the men's shirt section and saw a very ugly women in a red dress, with blonde hair and bright red lipstick...started looking through the shirts, looked up and two rows over, there she was again, only this time I noticed the glasses, lipstick was smudged and the blond hair was a wig. It was guy in drag!

Didn't want to see if she/he had on a purple bra.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's moments like this that erase all the horrid images of disease-infested cat hoarders, cross dressers and other undesirable sights. Makes thrifting a hell of a lot more pleasant. Oh and +1 on the pics! :nodding:
My wife would go crazy for that Kitchenaid! She's been pestering me about a bright pink one at Williams Sonoma for about the last year. She has a perfectly good serviceable (and pretty new too, maybe 3 years old) white one. Maybe women collect these things as we do suits and shoes? :laugh: In any case, this is a perfect example to always check the housewares. The Accolade is the upper model too. Score!!
Those Kenwoods are beauties, too. ;)

LOL bright pink... a pink one of those sold for $200 on ebay recently. Sell your white one and you'd probably make enough to do the swap, if you're patient for a pink one.

My only disappointment about the mixer is the Accolade is discontinued - they went to a "Professional 5 Plus" or something. Apparently this model is still well regarded, though. Really need to pin my wife down on whether she wants to keep it or not!

Maybe you'll get to admire those beauties for yourself soon! ;)

Oh, also:
ANYONE IN COLUMBUS this Saturday the 28th, jkidd and I are hoping to meet up to hit a store or two and maybe get a drink and chat - anyone in the area who's interested, feel free to PM either of us!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads