The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Oddly, I had the opportunity to stop in at a GW that I usually don't get out to very much and I picked up a clean looking cotton duck hat and saw the "This Is The Tilley Hat" label inside. It turns out that it's the LT5 model, retailing for around $70. I recalled your post on finding yours. This one is a 7 1/2 which seems to fit me very well although the owners manual hidden in the secret compartment says it should fit very loosely and the cotton cords should be used to hold the hat on. I was surprised to see that the hat looked brand new with no stains in the band or stray hair clinging to its insides.

Then I saw the business card in the plastic envelope (also in the secret compartment) and googled the woman's name. Turns out she's a 65 year old woman whose thirty-something daughter had passed away last year just a few miles from the store. My guess is that Mom had given it to her daughter who passed away and the family had finally gotten around to donating her things.

The circle of repurposed clothing!

Oh yeah. $3.

2. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Yesterday I was looking through the coats at the local GW, and found a new-ish looking down coat hanging by a hanger at the end of the rack. It looked my size and I tried it on, and, lo and behold, it fit. It wasn't a great brand, but it was cheap, it fit, and was incredibly warm. I reach down into the pockets, and, score, there was a new wool beanie in it. I was excited, if only because I never find anything in the pockets, let alone some of the great stuff you guys often find. As soon as I pull the hat out, though, I notice an elderly Hispanic gentleman running towards me yelling, "That's mine, that's mine!". I immediately realize my mistake and apologize profusely, trying to convey to him that I only tried it on because it was on a hanger at the end of the rack. So, I walk away embarrassed, only to see the gentleman put the coat back on the hanger and on the rack.

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

Yup! Ha, add another to the NoVa list.

I got a really nice BB suit there not long ago. I was real delicate with those stupid staples, b/c they put the tags right on the lapel. Thankfully, came out fine.

4. Towers

Towers Senior member

I hate when thrift stores do that, at least staple it to the keeper or the blade!

5. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

A couple quick notes for those trying to make a few bucks to fund this hobby:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Cole-v...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item3a6f436a2a

If you aren't picking up old flannel work shirts, especially in small sizes, you are crazy. Japanese bidder bought this, I have at least 4 or 5 more to list. This type of stuff is super easy to find in the Midwest.

Willis & Geiger:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willis-Geig...91862?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item3a6f4368b6

Nataku put me onto this brand and people are crazy for it. I have 2 bush poplin coats i need to list, and at least 2-3 other shirts! :slayer:

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Any brands in particular for the flannel work shirts?

That Willis & Geiger bush poplin safari coat I listed went at my BIN price of $250 in less than a day and it was a HUGE size. I'm definitely on the lookout for more W&G.

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Ah the stories we collect when we go thrifting.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

9. mainy

mainy Senior member

I don't think the brands even matter. Just look for old stuff - typically the buttons end higher up on the shirt, because they were made to be tucked in. I know the old Big Mac ones sell well, but basically as long as they are actually old and have a cool pattern, they are desirable. I think the two pockets also help out.

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

Damn. My father has a bunch of those he hasn't worn in years. I wonder if they are still around anywhere.

11. catside

catside Senior member

Why did you stop posting pics here? I am amazed at the stuff you find. Adding you to favorite sellers just to see stuff.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You know, I clicked on page 3 of this thread when i was coming here by accident, and my how things are different.

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

Just been busy taking pics, putting together trade list (still gonna try to do that guys!) and making auctions. I think I posted some finds the other day, I will try to get some more in here this week. But yeah, my auctions are another way to see what i've been finding as well!

14. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Black Canali , 3 button, double vent suit, made in Italy 54L

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hugo Boss 44R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Cazals, model info anyone?

[​IMG][/URL]

15. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Good day. Most of my Ebay stuff sold at a decent price today, so I was primed to hit the shops again. But I didn't get out 'til late, so I had to stop at the one on the way to my grocery store. Their shoe selection ALWAYS sucks, and just when I had decided that it was pointless to even look there, my eyes landed on a pair of Peal & Co loafers, priced just high enough for my coupon to be valid. :slayer: Photos will be forthcoming soon. In the meantime, can anyone tell me where the size is listed on Peale shoes? The only numbers are what looks like a serial number: 610744. Does that mean they're a UK size 44?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.