Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madroaster

Madroaster Well-Known Member

Some of us know what it entails and were therefore not curious. ;)

It means reclaiming the wool and knitting (or felting) something new with it. So long as the garment wasn't serged (which would mean lots of short lengths of yarn), you can grab an end on the body and start pulling it out, winding it into a ball as you go. Repeat for the sleeves and you have three or so good lengths of yarn to make whatever you feel like. My wife does this all the time; cashmere on the cheap. In fact, she just grabbed a BB cashmere sweater the other day for a couple bucks to do just that with. Not the greatest cashmere, but not terrible.

Speaking of cashmere, I found a beautiful herringbone Aquascutum cashmere sport coat the other day that fits me perfectly. It's now the nicest coat I've got. In navy, but still pretty nice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

2. MattR

MattR Senior member

Today's only find is a PRL navy blue camelhair sport coat. 2B, single vent. A bit older, I think, given the union tags, but it's in great condition and oh so soft. I picked it up for myself, but I just can't swing the waist size, so it's available, much to my disappointment.

The tag says 37R, but the measurements put it closer to a modern 38S. So close...c'est la vie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measurements:
    P2P = 20"
    Waist = 18"
    Arms = 23.25"
    Shoulders = 18.5"
    BOC = 29.5"

Deets Deets Deets:
    Single vent
    2B
    Made in US
    100% camelhair

3. tben

tben Senior member

Are those tags stapled directly into the tie?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

4. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

I imagine they are. Looks like a "Salvation Army special" to me. Every tie I've thrifted from them has come this way.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Oh dear.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

They do everything that way. It's a major pain. Take a pair of tweezers and very carefully straighten them out then pull them through gently and maybe they won't pull any threads.

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I remember snagging a nwt Bvlgari tie from thrift with staple right through. I carefull pulled staple out but one prong was not straight enough and ended up snagging the tie in a way that would be obvious. Tie went straight to the bin, unwearable :mad:. I hate it when thrifts staple quite delicate items.

8. MattR

MattR Senior member

Easily my biggest pet peeve. It's actually pretty rare around here; I only know 2 stores that do this. And I rarely go to those two, mostly because of the staples.

9. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Hi all, I recently snagged a very good condition Oxxford sportcoat in a size 40 in a wool/silk blend, in the Ontwensia cut. While I love it, the shoulders are maybe about a half inch too wide for me, and the waist isn't quite narrow enough for my tastes. I realize that Oxxford wasn't designed to have an aggressive cut, and having a tailor ruin such a nice sportcoat would be downright criminal... so I was wondering 1. if there was any interest from other thrifters here, and 2. what's a fair, socially acceptable for thrifted goods price to put it up on B&S / eBay? Thanks!

Pics: [​IMG][​IMG]

Comments on fit + convincing me that it actually fits and encouraging me to keep it would be appreciated as well! :p

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Around here, SA has done the same with shoes, belts and other leather goods, and it doesn't matter how careful you are removing tags when leather is involved. But, yes, you can get the staples out from fabrics. Notice that the staples shown are in a part of the tie that will never be displayed. That helps a lot.

11. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Senior member

Found a couple nice items this weekend, but not my size, so they're up for sale/trade.

Oxxford wool flat front slacks size 42x28, length could be 30" if you lose the cuff:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna size 17-35
    [​IMG]

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

^^^ Nice pants, and again, I am amazed at the number of thrift pants that indicate a short man of immense rotundity. With longer inseam, those would be very desirable and flippable.

13. MattR

MattR Senior member

Did you happen to grab this in NoVa? I saw this exact shirt the other day, same size, but passed on it (I just hate dealing with shirts).

14. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Measurements?

15. nolanmjj

nolanmjj Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Unique? That is the store I got it from, not SA. I did manage to pull it out delicately though; I typically just straighten the prongs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.