• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering doing this for a few shirts. Is it possible to do it with any colored shirt as long as it's cotton, and can you mix colors, or is that not advisable (that is, will the color run, or could I do the Oxy soak with blue/white/pink/etc all in the same batch)?

Could prob get it clean... http://www.styleforum.net/t/4084/stain-removal-guide/0_50. Had a very old cheap Brooks Brothers 346 shirt which use to be white...turned into more of an off white over the years (havt worn it in years either). Tried this wash method the other day and the thing loons new again. The water after soaking it a day was yellowish though...

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
Darted out for a couple hours today and nabbed a couple decent items.

Canali wool/cotton blend sport coat in a dark brown/charcoal nailhead pattern
HSM Gold sport coat almost black with interesting light gold glen plaid
Harris tweed herringbone sport coat for Eddie Bauer
Hickey Freeman charcoal suit

And, finally, a pair of shoes that aren't complete crap.

Allen Edmonds Hillcrest bluchers

Those will be an interesting experiment. They're in pretty decent shape already, but I've already hit them with some Saphir Renovateur. I put some shoe trees in, and we'll see how they look after a good coat of polish.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I'm considering doing this for a few shirts. Is it possible to do it with any colored shirt as long as it's cotton, and can you mix colors, or is that not advisable (that is, will the color run, or could I do the Oxy soak with blue/white/pink/etc all in the same batch)?

I did the collars of 2 white shirts, 1 light blue shirt and one complete white (yellowing off white) shirt at the same time. Didnt see any issues, but that was me...

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

And a couple ties but not sure what I'm gonna do with them...

I learned from Mister Midwester's blog you can actually have old ties slimmed into modern-y looking ties, if you like the fabric and the pattern. :slayer:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks a bunch! I'll probably be cautious and stick to close-ish shirts the first go round (maybe blues & whites together, then the red/pink shirt separately).

I did the collars of 2 white shirts, 1 light blue shirt and one complete white (yellowing off white) shirt at the same time. Didnt see any issues, but that was me...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've used this method ever since I first read it and it's worked wonders on both colors and whites. Be patient, though. Let the stuff soak.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's/Saturday's finds:

For myself, Gittman Brothers for Bullock & Jones. l/s casual shirt, BB l/s button down (great work shirt), and a baller pair of Samuelson cords (need a bit of letting in the waist...otherwise they look brand new).

Also picked up a BB Navy Camelhair jacket (a tad small for me, I would guess it a 43/44R range....it was too nice to leave). First ever Filson find...a pair of flat front Sz 34 Khakis. A Bills Khaki l/s shirt (Sz M...really heavey), and a really sweet pair of Foot Joy Monk Straps in Black (Sz 8.5). They also had cool shoe trees in them that the store left in.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up five stores today... not many, really, but I had to deal with the kids, so you take what you can get.

Store 1 - GW grand opening - got there about 5 after 9 and there were already guys with shopping carts full of shoes. Scouted them out, didn't miss anything, thankfully. Nicest shoes they ever put out were some Church's with a HOLE through the uppers where they bend. :( Also disappointed by an Oxxford SC with holes and a Pal Zileri angora/mohair sc that had a HUGE GAPING HOLE in the back, like big enough to put two fists through. All ragged, too, with no flap hanging down, so no idea how that happened.
Finds:
Oxxford SC my size
Davis & squire grey ribbed cashmere sweater, size L, available
Recent BB argyle cotton vest, size S, available
2 pairs of Bill's Khakis JEANS - never seen these before, interesting. Sizes 33 and 34, available.
Bills Khakis gurkha pants - twice in about a month? Weird! The last pair SHOCKED me - it sold for 93 bucks on ebay so I'm hoping this one does well too!
Canali tie that didn't suck
Pack of diapers for the baby for 2.99... :slayer:

Store 2 - HEARTBREAK...
found *another* Kerkorian "Abla Fashions for Men" that's made by Caruso DB suit... with no pants.
Found a Zegna pure cashmere sc around my size... with multiple holes.
Found a recent HF super 130's suit... with no pants.
Found a recent BB suit... with no pants.
Found a middle-age BB suit in an awesome glenplaid with blue windowpane... with no pants.
Tore the store apart looking for the pants, including going label-by-label through the womens pants. Of course, none of the four turned up. :brick:

Consoled myself by checking out the hard goods and showcase...
only pickups at this store but they were the best finds of the day I'm pretty sure!
Kitchenaid Accolade 400 mixer with two bowls and all the accessories... $25... ebays for ~200 I think if my wife doesn't keep it (she doesn't like the color but has wanted one of these for awhile)
Kenwood KT-7500 stereo tuner
Kenwood KA-7100 amp
- got both of those for a total of 15 bucks... if I sell them separately they look to be worth about 100 bucks each shipped I think?

Store 3 - store where I found the Borrellis the other day - nada now, though I'll go back on half-price-day to see if the Polo Made in Italy shirt is still there

Store 4 - Never know what to expect with this store... disappointed by a BB suit with LP fabric with no pants. I didn't find a pair of pants I looked for all day.
Coupla shirts for a friend
Vineyard Vines shirt for gas money
Zegna made by Inco wool pants, size 40, probably available
A first time pickup for me: True Religion jeans at real thrift pricing - I think they're womens but that doesn't seem to matter much with TR.

Store 5 - impulse stop on the way to get a 6 foot cat tree off Craigslist for $35... when I tried to offer her 30 the lady all but showed me her receipt for $150 for it. Dang!
Left behind a pair of Bill's that had a tiny spot on the bottom of one pant leg - not worth fooling with but it pains me every time I leave Bills, however damaged. :(
Did pick up an identical pair of Bills in 38, available.
The real pickups, though, were two coats, clearly both by the same owner. I guarantee you, you're going to see these brands now and think "ho-hum" but when I post pics tomorrow you'll be going "damn!"
- Bergdorf Goodman tan... I guess it's a trench, but it has no belt, it has a belt-buckle style setup on the inside if you want to fasten it beyond the buttons. Button-in wool lining. Size 42, available.
- Hart Schaffner Marx Made in Italy 3/4 length wool coat with part-quilted lining and part-plaid lining, working buttons on pockets & sleeves, corduroy collar... this thing is saweet. Made me think of a Barbour at first, actually. Size L, available.

Sooo, my dining room table is full of stuff, the cat is pleased as punch, the kids got a couple of random toys, and my wife got some clearance makeup from the Penny's outlet while I was doing all this. Wish we had more Saturdays like this! :)

Last edited:

hyakku

Reaction score
Gotta get pics up later but definitely a favorite day of mine. Went to go check out an SA Boutique early, no luck, but figured I'd check for any nearby GWs or something. Thank goodness I did.

Finds (pics to come tomorrow when I grab my neighbors camera):

1 Boss Pinstripe Suit (not the finest label, but definitely a good find and great quality for the price and doesn't need tailoring. Looks unworn/unaltered, still has pockets sown). For myself finally.

1 black Isseye Miyake Shirt

1 Margiela Shirt

1 Marithe Francois + Girbauld Made in Italy Jacket/Ninja Shirt Thing. Don't know what to define it but it's awesome :slayer:

1 Pair of Bijan Pants (gotta see if the tailor can make these work before I offer these up)

1 Red Envelope Cashmere Scarf (probably giving away)

Left:

2 Pairs of Zanella Pants (don't know if people like tehse are not, were too big for me [like 38ish I belive])

1 Pair of Masons? Pants. Were really interesting, too big. Made in Italy I believe

1 Pair of Orvis Sweats. Too big

1 Corneliani Jacket (Wool or Cashmere, creme)

Few other things I can't recall.

Definitely think I found a new spot. Slightly out of the way but pretty stoked on finally getting this work suit out of the way and the Margiela/Bijan finds.

edit: By the way, with the soaking method, do any of you do dress shirts? I've got an older one I really like I'd like to rescue, but the collar is still pretty good and I'm worried washing it will ruin it. I probably should learn about starch and all that -_-

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Luck's been running thin lately but some musings:

1) Ever try Etsy for shoes? I think eBay for some individual sellers is getting hard to use (because of fees, etc) so there's quite a little culture sprouting up over there. Bought some old-skool Lizard Aristocrafts and vintage, lightly used Kenmoors this week. Gotta select "vintage" category to see anything, though, which is counterintuitive but real. Some of the prices are definitely way above thrifting but...check it out.

2) I have some very nice PRL Made in USA black buckle strap loafers, 9-1/2D, which I'd hoped I'd fit into but they're just a tad big. PM me if you're interested in swapping or want to see pictures. A nice tie, a decent shirt (15-32 preferred or 15-32/33) would be all it would take.

3) I have a Harris Tweed olive coat, 38S, with lovely reds and dark lines throughout. Again, will trade for almost anything. Just way too nice to rethrift, like the loafers. I think I might start a Tumblr for pictures of stuff I have to swap. Gotta get off my lazy bum...

4) I've seen Canali disparaged here on this thread as "Crapali." My question is, are there any good Canali ties (i.e. thick, well made)? I keep finding them, I've snapped up a couple, but when I take a 2nd look after I get home they're really about as thin as a Van Heusen 417. Are there better ones, higher lines (i.e. like Best of Class in the Talbott universe?)

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could prob get it clean... http://www.styleforum.net/t/4084/stain-removal-guide/0_50. Had a very old cheap Brooks Brothers 346 shirt which use to be white...turned into more of an off white over the years (havt worn it in years either). Tried this wash method the other day and the thing loons new again. The water after soaking it a day was yellowish though...

Just quoting for posterity in case Brian goes all Voxy on us.

encyclopedia

Luck's been running thin lately ...

Ain't that the truth!? I found ONE Brooks Brothers cotton short sleeve sport shirt in a small that I WILL be wearing in Puerto Rico later this spring. That's about it.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I had to Google the word Voxy and still don't know what it means.....

Vox-like, as in the late voxsartoria, the current F.Corbera... he merkured his old posts sometimes (good luck with merkured lol)

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm considering doing this for a few shirts.  Is it possible to do it with any colored shirt as long as it's cotton, and can you mix colors, or is that not advisable (that is, will the color run, or could I do the Oxy soak with blue/white/pink/etc all in the same batch)?

I'm grateful to dongale for bringing this topic up, and to AndroFan for posting that link. Nothing more frustrating than a great find that has collar/pit stains. I used a pit stain solution once -- name escapes me at the moment -- that was great for pit stains, but when I tried to apply it to collars, it delaminated them. Anyone ever have an issue with Oxy in that regard?

While I'm at it, I may as well report. Things have slowed down a bit since the holidays. Nothing earth-shattering and mostly shirts, though I did pick up:
-two pairs of Oxxford trousers (one blue, one gray window, both sold)
-an Oxxford "cashwool" tan herringbone blazer (sold; Nataku: I didn't ignore your advice; my buyer for the trousers expressed interest, so I went back and grabbed it).
-Two Zegna suits (not for sale). One was a recent blue pinstripe with working surgeon cuffs and double vents. The other is a slightly older brown with blue pinstripe "Trofeo" fabric, but unvented (can't have it all).
-Shirts: several Zegnas (sold here on the Forum), a RLPL (same), a couple of Tyrwhitts (including Sea Island, still available but VERY small -- measures less than 15), a few Hickey Freemans in the 17-17.5 size range (available; posting to SF soon) and a couple of Robert Talbotts (same).
-Brand new J Crew Ludlow wool blazer using real Yorkshire tweed (by Moon) that I will sell on the Bay (or to anyone here, if they're interested, but I presume not).
-Similarly Bay bound is a nice Corneliani silk/wool houndstooth blazer in a 46-48 that has some very minor spots under the right arm (yes, I will disclose them) that I really should have noticed when I bought it, but didn't.
-Ties: Boss blue stripe (sold), BB blue stripe (sold), BB beige/green stripes in grosgrain (available), Zegna purple with green polka dots (available) and CT pink multistripe (available)

If anyone is interested in pics/prices or whatnot, let me know.

Last but not least, I picked up this overcoat. It's tagged "Crombie Kintyre." I've done my homework on Crombie, but this doesn't seem to be the same label. Anyone know anything about this? The jacket itself is in pristine condition. It's navy with a very subtle herringbone (or is it french twill?) weave, single breasted and vented, with lapels that are just about at the edge of modern acceptability. It fits very well, hitting just at the knees. Any input or illumination greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads