• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dude... I found 3 double vented Samuelsohn suits from 2006 the other day and I thought I was doing good. Nataku finds stuff that is on another LEVEL :slayer:

Question for you guys. I bought a thrifted jacket from the B&S. It's a Chester Barrie 100% cashmere coat.

Problem is, it's very musty smelling. Not moldy, just reeks of dust and wool.

Would you recommend dry cleaning a cashmere SC? I've also heard that a vodka/water solution spray can get rid of the smell.

http://www.valetmag.com/the-handbook/features/2009/31-days/day10-fight_vintage_funk.php

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Sad, sad, sad! Because I'm 43R-L! Will resist, spent last of this month's bucks on a vintage Gillette razor and brass collar stays. :brick:

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score
awesome find today a mint condition SCHOTT NYC Flight Jacket (674-M-S) according to their site that series was made in the 60's its the one with a TALON zipper ( http://www.schottnyc.com/forum/posts/is674ms_1.htm)
.size 42,fits me well actually but are they suposed to be that short?
man i wish i had a vintage Norton or Enfield to ride around on in this thing in the spring.this is the one with the fur pop up collar and fur lining,very dark brown.the awesome thing about is the creaking nosies it makes because the leather is so thick,i mean this thing could take a bullet.if anybody is intesrested its for sale,PM me.im a 42 reg (6 foot 210lbs) and fits me snug as a guideline.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01202012045.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01202012046.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01202012049.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01202012051.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01202012055.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01202012056.jpg

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^This thread is rocking. Flight jacket :slayer: BTW nice color coordination on that spray & towel :)

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score
lol its my moms house

^This thread is rocking. Flight jacket
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
BTW nice color coordination on that spray & towel
smile.gif

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Found this suit for a whopping 7 bucks!! Fits me perfect so I will be keeping this one!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

04d35366.jpg

5c649508.jpg

49c855a8.jpg

de81843c.jpg

Great Suit! But what's up with the pattern matching on the armholes and across the pockets? The rare times that I've come up with RLPL suits in thrift stores or charity shops, the pattern matching has been spot-on. I'm not hating, but I wonder what happened? -M-

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

awesome find today a mint condition SCHOTT NYC Flight Jacket (674-M-S) according to their site that series was made in the 60's its the one with a TALON zipper

.size 42,fits me well actually but are they suposed to be that short?

I think so, I just think when these were designed your jeans were supposed to be higher. Nice find, if it were a 40 I'd tell you that the fit was horrible and you should sell it to me cheap.

lol its my moms house

I'm getting the impression that half of the people on this thread shoot pics in mom's bathroom, the other half have to steal space from their wives for closet finds.

I guess I should "brag" something. tonight I stopped for a few minutes and found a pretty minty (although crushed!) Tilley hat. Fits a bit snug, but it claims to be my size (7 3/8 for any of you who routinely pass on classics because you don't think you'd find a buyer) so I'm assuming I can easily stretch it back to proper size. Been wanting one of these, so a pretty good $3.99!

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW I'm going to be in Milwaukee soon so if anybody lives there and wants to PM me some places to check out I'd return the favor if you're ever in my area :satisfied:

NO!!!!!!!!

Geez, I guess I'll tell you some places, but I won't bother thrifting there for a while after!:embar:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW I'm going to be in Milwaukee soon so if anybody lives there and wants to PM me some places to check out I'd return the favor if you're ever in my area :satisfied:

Go to MN instead and meet with me and Nataku :slayer:

I'll drive up to document the masters at work :D

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Quote:
Interested in trading/selling the Tyrwhitt shirts or the cords?

Also, what are the measurements of both of these?

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Also...

Vintage BROOKS BROTHERS Navy Blue Overcoat. 42 R. MADE IN U.S.A. Features peak lapels, epaulets, a double-breasted closure with 3 sets of buttons (6 buttons total), and a single vent. The buttons are made of black woven leather. It is fully lined. It has two interior pockets, an outer chest pocket (still sewn shut from the factory), and two outer flap pockets. It is marked a size 42 R.

• Shoulders (shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back): 18 ½ inches.
  • Chest (armpit to armpit across front x 2): 45 inches.
  • Waist (side seam to side seam across front): 42 inches.
  • Sleeve (shoulder seam to cuff): 25 inches (with approximately 1 ½ inches of extra material).
  • Length (from BOTTOM of rear collar to rear hem): 44 inches.

Beck

Reaction score
hey. this is nataku's friend. here's what I found on my end today. Everything is available.

New with tags Paul Stuart linen Suit w/ mother of pearl buttons

2 recent Paul Stuart Sportcoats & Hickey Freeman Pure Cashmere Collection Sportcoat

Here are the trousers I found:
From left to right: Polo RL Made In Italy (Sz 36x29 R), Polo RL Made In Italy(36x29 R), BERLE (Sz 34x29), Zanella Loro Piana (Sz 34x29), Hickey Freeman (Sz 34x29) (All Available)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads