Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hi! I came across this PAL ZILERI: GRUPPO FORALL brown pinstripe jacket (it's an orphan, but do you think it may be able to stand alone?). Single-breasted, double-vent, non-working button cuffs. Hip pockets still factory sealed! Marked EUR 56 L or US 46 L.

Shoulders (shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back): 20 inches.
    Chest (armpit to armpit across front x 2): 48 inches.
    Waist (side seam to side seam across front x 2): 46 1/2 inches.
    Sleeve (shoulder seam to cuff): 23 1/4 inches (with 2 1/2 inches of TOTAL extra material).
    Length (from BOTTOM of rear collar to rear hem): 31 1/2 inches.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

2. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Carroll & Company (http://www.carrollandco.com/carroll/) is and was an extremely high end men's store in Los Angeles. Much of their clothing is made in England, Italy, etc. (not that that is the final word on quality) by the likes of Chester Barrie. Could be worth grabbing based on style/size/condition, but I guess the most important question is - did you like it?

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

:inlove:

The fact this is too big for me actually hurts a little.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    lew ritter was another la biggie. both of them were mostly known for british-oriented fashion (as opposed to, say, mr. bijan).

5. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Ah okay. Thanks. I really liked it, but being a college student I don't wear anything past jeans and a button down. I'm trying to flip interesting pieces to make up for my thrifting losses (as opposed to buying a bunch of BB, PRL, and AE to just make a profit).

6. dongale

dongale Active Member

Ok, no one throw any stones....I'm looking for a gray Harris Tweed jacket for cheap. No luck thrifting yet. There are tons on ebay. I've seen several older looking Stafford tweeds. Was Stafford at any time a quality brand? Or has it always been cheap stuff?

7. catside

catside Senior member

Send TweedyDon a pm. He will get you something decent for an excellent price usually cheaper than bay. He is the professor of tweed.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

good guy, good seller. in fact, today i'm wearing my gray tweed i got from him.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Google, search the forum, and then post a question in the regular forum. Start a thread and you'll get an answer and have a discuession on the subject. This really isnt the place to be asking questions, if your not bragging about something.

Again, not bragging about a thrift find....start a thread in the regular forum and you'll get an answer.

Not throwing a stone, maybe a pubble, but if your looking for something. Go into the B&S section and post a WTB add and also keep an eye on the forum for new items for sale. If you are wondering about Stafford being a good brand, start a thread asking about opinions on Stafford quaility and youll get replies.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this thread is NOT for asking silly questions like this, but about posting the QUALITY things you actually find in the thrift. If you need to be asking about more then an item a week you never heard of then you need to really do research first before you even go to the thrift store to start with.

10. dongale

dongale Active Member

Thank you kindly, sir.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

So I hit the motherlode today......

Woke up to a temp of 5 above and snow. Still snowing. Roads were a disaster. A buddy of mine and I still headed out. Managed to avoid most of the highways that were backed up due to multiple accidents/people in the ditch (people in their AWD SUVs and 4x4 monster trucks who think they're immune to the laws of physics).

Almost didn't hit this store because we wanted to go to another farther south. Got onto the southbound lane and hit more stop/go at noon. Said screw it and hit the store. I hit the suits first and my heart dropped. A super recent Adrian Jules bespoke suit. Then another. Then another. Then a sportcoat, then more sportcoats. Then recent Paul Stuart and Samuelsohn pieces. Insane! Everything is within 5 years old.

The stuff fits me like a glove - shoulders, chest, sleeves and length!

I'm not home yet to take photos or count how many suits I got, but here's the highlights -

- Polo RL Corneliani made pure silk houndstooth trousers
    - Another pair of Polo RL Corneliani made trousers.
    - Multiple sportcoats and suits from Adrian Jules bespoke.
    - Zegna pure cashmere side vented sportcoat
    - Hickey Freeman pure cashmere sportcoat
    - Etro tan linen sportcoat. Patch pockets.
    - NWT Paul Stuart "Stuart II" linen suit. Tan with MOP buttons.
    - Bunch of NWT St. John stuff for the wife.

Too much more that I forgot. Will update with pics and an availability list later on. This is just what I picked up. My buddy grabbed a bunch more stuff that he liked.

12. floors to go

floors to go Senior member

Awesome haul Nataku.

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Holy crap man, congrats!!! That's a hell of a list!!

If anything is too long, let me know. [​IMG]

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

just my two bits ... none of these things bother me at all. i always learn from other people's questions and somehow it seems like it leads to a more community-type feeling. there's still plenty of room for brag and the good thing about the internet is that there's no limitation on space.

15. amadar

amadar Senior member

[​IMG]

Deets on this shirt please :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.