• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I found this J.P. Tilford (Samuelsohn) suit the other day. It's certainly too big for me, but I rarely find nice, intact suits in this condition so I had to take it with me. I had a friend try it on, but it was too small. If I can't find a home for it, I might try my hand at ebay for the first time.

Saying "to big for me", "to small for my friend" dosent help if someones interested
fing02[1].gif

thrift-fu

Reaction score
Which also reminds me. Does anybody else find the most satisfying thing about thrift shopping is when you find something really great in a friend or family members size? I love that, without spending hardly any money, I am able to surprise somebody with a really nice piece of clothing or a suit that they will look great in!

If I have any piece of thrift advice, it's to learn the sizes of people you care about.
smile.gif

Last edited:

thrift-fu

Reaction score
Saying "to big for me", "to small for my friend" dosent help if someones interested
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

By "find a home for it" I was thinking in a friends closet, but I guess people here might be interested too. I haven't taken a tape to it, but the tag says 46-40 Tall/Long, kind of an odd size. In fact, I first had found the pants, which looked to be a good size for me (I'm tall, but slim, not a 46). Once I matched it up with the jacket, I decided I should take the whole thing.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thought I would throw one out for the Versace experts out there. 100% silk solid navy double breasted 4X1 suit. Tagged 42 (52) R. Definitely looked a bit dated and had triple pleats. I usually wear 40R and was just a tad tight on me. I just realized somehow I deleted the pic of the suit . :brick:
Hard to get a reply if to don't signal him correctly.
You rang? LOL Probably will get you about $50 at most. I know those suits, probably very Miami Vice. Maybe late 1994-5.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thought I would throw one out for the Versace experts out there. 100% silk solid navy double breasted 4X1 suit. Tagged 42 (52) R. Definitely looked a bit dated and had triple pleats. I usually wear 40R and was just a tad tight on me.
I just realized somehow I deleted the pic of the suit .
baldy[1].gif

That's funny, I found something similar to that last week too:

Black and White Tattersall, 4x1, about a 40 or 42

hmmurdock

Reaction score

You rang? LOL Probably will get you about $50 at most. I know those suits, probably very Miami Vice. Maybe late 1994-5.
Hard to get a reply if to don't signal him correctly.
Spoo needs no signal. He's an energy field created by all living things. He surrounds us. He binds the galaxy together. But if you insist...

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Spoo needs no signal. He's an energy field created by all living things. He surrounds us and penetrates us. He binds the galaxy together.

:uhoh:

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

You rang? LOL
Probably will get you about $50 at most. I know those suits, probably very Miami Vice. Maybe late 1994-5.

With triple pleats and a two inch double vent (which I have never seen anything like before) there was no way I was buying.
Posted more in the vein to make sure I was looking at a legit item for future reference.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You rang? LOL
Probably will get you about $50 at most. I know those suits, probably very Miami Vice. Maybe late 1994-5.

Daaang, you can practically tell the suit's life history just based on that one shot, which didn't even include a picture of the actual suit... impressive ^^;

Remember the class I was teaching yesterday about how you go back to the same store TOMORROW and THE NEXT DAY?
Well... here's round 2! :teach:

Oxxford SC... no way this was a suit, and I didn't see any pants. Pit to pit 22" which makes this something like a size 40ish. Downside is some damage to the inside lining.. but hey, tiny-size-Oxxford in an amazing pattern? I'll take it! Especially since I haven't seen any Oxxford around here in months!

P1070179.JPG

Last edited:

Genken

Reaction score
Found these two pairs of shoes at the thrift shop.

The first is this pair of wingtips. Could not find a brand anywhere on the shoe. Are they too far gone, or does it still look like there's some life left in these shoes? Don't have pictures of the soles, there's still some go left for those, but I was referring more to the wrinkling and condition of the leather. Do these shoes have a purpose left to them?

Also found this pair of Allen Edmonds Benton shoes. Got them for only $2.90 and very happy with the condition of shoe I got for that much money. Sole is a little worn. I think these become my new every day work shoe:

Your guys' thoughts on those wing tips? I was thinking maybe as a smart-casual shoe or something.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Hello! I went to a thrift store & a charity shop that I don't normally get around to earlier today and came up with the following:

1. Navy blue BRIONI blazer with working 3-button surgeon's cuffs. Solid navy blue with a slight sheen to it. Ventless, but still Brioni.
smile.gif
Marked EUR 60 L / US 50 L.

• Shoulders (shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back): 21 ¾ inches.
  • Chest (armpit to armpit across front x 2): 53 inches.
  • Waist (side seam to side seam across front x 2): 51 inches.
  • Sleeve (shoulder seam to cuff): 25 ¾ inches (+ 3 inches of TOTAL extra material).
  • Length (from the BOTTOM of rear collar to rear hem): 32 ¾ inches.

ISSUES: There is some wear to the interior sleeve lining on the interior of both cuffs, the locker loop inside the collar has come undone on one side, and the lining immediately below it has come undone approximately 4 inches along the seam.

2. Pink CANALI spread collar dress shirt. Solid pink spread collar, no chest pocket, straight-cut yoke, & single-button barrel cuffs. Marked: 39 | 15 ½.

• Neck (back of collar button to center of buttonhole): 14 ¼ inches.
  • Shoulders (shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back): 17 inches.
  • Chest (armpit to armpit across front x 2): 41 inches.
  • Waist (side seam to side seam across front x 2): 38 ½ inches.
  • Sleeve (shoulder seam to cuff): 24 inches.

3.HERMES 100% silk neck tie. Golden link chains on an orange background.

58 inches long x 3 ½ inches wide.

Last edited:

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just passed on two blazers that I found interesting. Need to know if they're worth going back for.

Hadn't heard of either of these brands:

Carroll & Company and Lew Ritter. They were both very nice materials. Somewhere between 38 and 42. Had a few brown stains at the cuffs though.

Should I go back for them? Anyone have info?

floors to go

Reaction score
Been on a long dry streak, nothing but BB things not worthy of this thread, finally broke it today. All available.

Chester Barrie for Gieves & Hawkes - 100% Cashmere - 40S

Oxxford - 42S

Oxxford - 100% Cashmere - Mocha Brown - 42S

Polo Seersucker - XL - Working Cuffs - Looks Brand New

Florsheim Imperial Longwings -11D

div25sec9

Reaction score
I hope I don't sound too dumb by asking this, but how does one tell from the tag is the item is a jacket from a suit, or a stand alone item? Some stuff is obvious, but other times it's hard to tell. I'd like to know so that I don't have to spend an hour flipping the store upside down for the pants if they never existed to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads