The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

you're a sad, sad man.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Round 2:

All of these will be in B&S

Beautiful PRL shoes in 9.5. From the top they look brand new. There is a tiny bit of wear on the sole. I picked them up for $39.99 after asking several times about the return policy (never paid that much for a thrift item). I have 7 days. Does anyone want them?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Heschung shoes. Very good condition. No scuffs. 8 UK, 8.5 US, but seems bigger. Rubber soles with a bit of wear.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gieves & Hawkes (Hopefully) SC (not orphan...) Again, this was the most I've paid for a thrift item. 24.99. I will return in a few days. Does anyone want? I think it's a 38. Going to take measurements now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Holland & Sherry SC. Will take measurements. Seems 44 ish.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Passed on:
    M. Valentino Suit $49.99
    Burberry Coat $49.99

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Sulka may be dead, but this gorgeous, predominately black with stripey-stripes tie lives on in my hand, and in our hearts (and shortly, on B&S).

Photo not found.

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

The alden's were weird. They were casual shoes, grain leather, foamy rubber bottom. Very very good condition though. Are those worth anything?

5. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

$400 Retail.

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I picked up a camel color Gloverall duffle coat from a local Salvation Army this week. I used to always find duffle coats pretty ugly but this one was exactly my size and after trying it on, I have to say it's one of the most comfortable pieces of outerwear I've ever worn - the way it hangs over my shoulders, it feels like I'm just wearing a robe. The condition was great and the price seemed to just as nice to me ($30) so I picked it up. According to the tags, this one was originally produced by Gloverall specifically for Eddie Bauer.

Based on the strong mothball scent and the green discoloration inside the pockets from the mothballs probably sitting in them for a long time, I imagine this coat is more than a few years old. I also don't ever recall seeing Gloverall at Eddie Bauer (granted, I was never much of a patron though). Anybody have any clue as to how long it's been?

7. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I'm digging this up from 11 months ago to [​IMG] . I've never found a great alternative publication in a thrift. Sure, maybe some Italo Calvino or Nabokov, but nothing quite this provocative. Did you take any photos of it? What book is it exactly? Several years ago, in college, a class of mine read a ton of their work and even had to construct a concept of theirs as a project. My roommate and I were both in the class, so we installed a friend of ours' dream machine in the bathroom during a party and encouraged people to go in there to try it out. If you're unfamiliar, this is the device that Gysin and another beat dude, Ian Sommerville created to "alter the brain's electrical oscillations" and thus produce what they claimed was a semi-awake hypnagogic dream state. That book likely has nothing to do with this, but it makes me reconsider looking at every bookshelf before rolling out of the store.

[​IMG]

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Post photos MP. Lots and lots of photos.
    Gloverall made duffle coats for a lot of comapnies over a lot of decades.

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I also found some Trasks at a thrift store, though mine are a bit more beaten up, heh. Despite them being a size too small, I wear them at work. They are great lite construction worker alternatives. Mine are basically that same pair you've posted.

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

LOL! I'm doing it for the little guy.

11. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

I've seen several posts in here lately were people are mentioning returning stuff to thrift stores. Do people actually do that? Seriously?

Seems pretty oily to me to buy a bunch of stuff, then check the internet to see if it's worth anything before returning it to a thrift store. WTF?

12. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

this is an old pickup, but probably the best deal ive ever found thrifting... h. huntsman and sons for barneys... i paid 5$
    [​IMG]

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Maybe over there, but we have some stores like Savers, which are for-profit concerns.

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Eh, most of them are for-profit, whether they say so or not... in your area you have to check to find out which ones are REALLY charities and actually do good things (and don't just keep charitable status without really acting like it). A lot of people feel like Goodwill in particular is an 800-pound gorilla that essentially is a poorly-run large retail conglomerate.

I say this with no dog in this fight - NONE of my stores locally take returns. Not a single one. It sure would come in handy sometimes when I buy something and then find a damage... or when I'm not 100% sure if something will work out at the price I'd have to pay for it. Even with a smartphone, there's only so much research you can do in the store without taking forever.

15. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Some of the thrift stores in my area don't take returns, per se, but they do offer exchanges for store credit. This applies only to clothing and excludes accessories such as belts, shoes, ties, etc. I don't think that it's necessarily "oily" since the charities essentially keep the money to benefit their cause, the buyer just exchanges one piece of clothing for another, and the clothing was freely donated. Just my two cents. -M-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.