• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SZ 38, waist feels like 36/37

Shiny

Reaction score

Post better pics showing the front under better lighting. My initial reaction is no. Also a pic of the size markings on the inside wall.

Thanks Greg and Henryboogers. Ask and ye shall receive...

I could not get a good pix of the inside of the shoe, but it reads: 10 E/C 20263148
then space down flush right sort of: 23731

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So there you have it (at least for the Upstate NY area), Goodwill doesn't filter out the good stuff before it hits the stores, they actually send a girl in to thrift the good stuff out and transfer it to their store.

Dang - wish it were like that here! We have a boutique called Second Debut and the managers comb each rack of clothes over before sending them out onto the floor. At certain stores (in the high end areas), they do know what they're doing too. :brick:

If they did it here as they do where you live, there would be a better chance at scoring something. Here the stuff doesn't even see the sales floor.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could not get a good pix of the inside of the shoe, but it reads: 10 E/C 25263168
then space down flush right sort of: 25738

In these pictures look at the microcreases. You do not get them in shell. Those hills and valleys happen both in shell and corrected grain leather, especially when shoe trees are underutilizrd or shoes are big. Sometimes people overuse wax polish and they accumulate in the valleys. These might give the impression of a microcrease in a photo. I think yours are just plain microcrease. So I still think they are not.
A more definite resource than me would be to post them at AAAC forum, shell or not thread. Guys there are really good. Some of my tradly brethren there are also here (since thrifting is definitely trad!! :stirpot:), and they may chime in.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I could not get a good pix of the inside of the shoe, but it reads: 10 E/C 25263168
then space down flush right sort of: 25738

Here is a pair of Shells for comparison. See how there are no microcreases, but there are still ripples.

$(KGrHqR,!ioE6-48E6s+BO29NgrzWQ~~60_3.JPG

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dayum.  Braver man than I that could pull those off.  Very cool looking though. 

Apt terminology for pants like these = Church pants, or so I have been told. Looking to flip em though, rise too high for me, and they fit for a slimmer waist.

Shiny

Reaction score
Thanks guys re. my non shells. They are going back unless there's any interest here. A little too big for me.

I'm not a member of askandy.:(

I'm thinking $30 + actual shipping... let me know.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Thanks guys re. my non shells. They are going back unless there's any interest here. A little too big for me.
I'm not a member of askandy.
frown.gif

I'm thinking $30 + actual shipping... let me know.

This goes back to the post from yesterday...did this turn from the "thrift bragging thread" to the "what did I thrift, how much is it worth and does anyone want to buy them thread"? Or am I totally off base?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Waaaaay in the opposite direction that this thread usually goes, I picked up a pair of Chinese knockoffs of the RayBan Clubman style sunglasses today for $1.50. I like trying the cheap stuff to see if I can really live with the style before I drop real money on a pair. Let me know if ya'll are just dying to see a pic.

I figure everyone was just too shy to ask so here's my buck fitties.

P1190381.jpg

$145 for the real thing at J.Crew. I may have to take the plunge.

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found recently: two pendleton shirts. one 100% wool long sleeve, the other 100% cotton short sleeve. both in perfect condition and the fit is the dog's bollocks. i need more pendleton in my life. :nodding:

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't you up a shirt on me and I said you could catch me later :fonz:
I'd actually be willing to toss in a tie since I feel Borrelli/Lorenzini > Canali/Zegna

yeah, that was kind of the direction I was headed... I might even throw in that Harris Tweed coat for "cheap" if you come up with something, though! ;)

Tonight's haul out of three stores, but most of it out of just one... guys, you know how Nataku and Mainy remind everyone to "hit up the same store" - they don't mean "a couple of days later" THEY MEAN TOMORROW. Here's what I pulled out of that one store that I got the Canali Sport pants from yesterday (which nobody commented on the tag of, has nobody seen it?):

7 for All Mankind jeans size 31 (not pictured, available)
J.W. Nordstrom 94% wool 6% cashmere Loro Piana fabric flat front pants... model name "Duncan" - am I wrong in thinking these could be made by Zanella? Already taken. ;)
Just a label shot if anyone has any ideas/thoughts on it:
P1070170.JPG

Recent black label Corneliani suit, size 54R IT (44R US), super 100's, side vented, available:
P1070172.JPG

P1070173.JPG

NWT Alan Flusser 100% cashmere sweater, size L, available:
P1070169.JPG

And out of another store...
This nifty pair of H.S. Trask bison leather boots. Size 7.5M... didn't realize how small they were but they're nifty and available!
P1070168.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads