The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

Had a good time at lunch today... Found 2 Hickey Freeman sport coats, one 48R that's a nice kinda glen plaid pattern and the other a really nice 50-51R(trying to remember) that's (I think this is right) 55% silk, 45% wool and feels great... Kind of a British tan with reddish and blue/green windowpanes. Looks great. Both available.

Also finally found some interesting pants, all around my size (34-36), but probably available. Brooks Brothers solid grey flannel w/ 2 pleats, but not horrible. Brooks 346 brown flannel with pleat(s). Hickey Freeman made in Italy brown wool, very heavy weight, very nice... pleats but I may keep them. I think they're forward pleats.

Also, not special but a cool pair of Banana Republic cotton that feel like linen and are a light tan, but without the yellow undertones of khaki and a Guy Laroche Monsieur tie that I really loved the pattern.

Oh, and it's too bad Adrian Jules stuff doesn't flip. I'm guessing the guy who dropped off the 2 HF sportcoats really liked Adrian Jules shirts. There were 9 of them, all custom made and very nice. Some blues, some yellows, lots of stripes. It was in there with a very nice blue striped Brooks Brothers 17.5/35 so I'm guessing they're around that size. If anyone wants them I'll proxy.

Pics if anyone is interested.

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Likewise! :) BTW... I misspoke: the Mercer and Sons is a 15.5-35. So is the Brooks Brothers. I'll put one of those Borrellis aside for you, sure. Got anything nifty that's a bit too large for you? :devil:

3. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

[​IMG]

No sign of the jacket. I'll go back and look multiple times this week, but I'm not hopeful, given these were found in row of three or four NWT Calvin Klein tuxedo pants, all without jackets.

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I just literally spit out my drink onto my lap... :fu:

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I'm usually a 40S. I've been casually looking for camel hair sports coats, but as the weather starts to get warmer, I may give up my search. A nice overcoat would be, um, nice, but nothing is really pressing.

6. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Now, having ruined your own pants, you'll have to buy those from him!

7. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I took your pricing advice on the C&J boots, posting them last night and starting the bidding at $60 with a BIN of $250; I figured that starting price may have been a little high, but the first bite came this morning at 9, and they're now up to $88 with 4d9h left. Thanks for the feedback.

8. Genken

Genken Member

Hello everyone,

Would like a little feedback on these shoes.

Picked these shoes up at a local thrift store. This would be my first pair of black cap-toe oxfords, and I want something that looks like. They seem sturdy, the sole says "made in USA" - these may be the Melton style or an older equivelant by Johnston & Murphy, but I honestly have no idea (this is what I could find on their website http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=643&pid=38301&VID=38229). Filthy when I bought them, but cleaned them up a bit and put a straight lace on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking at these photos, does this look like a good buy and a decent black dress shoe? Flash is a little harsh but also highlights every flaw of the shoes. Are they too wrinkled, is the shape of the shoe good, suitable styling, etc?

Thanks for your guys' candid feedback!

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

:lol: unfortunately (fortunately?!) they're not my size! I would move heaven and earth to try to find that jacket, though, including bribing employees.

BTW whoever ends up buying from him, I did get a Kiton sportcoat and a couple of shirts from horses_ass over Christmas - we met up since he was in town and he was a real nice guy. Finds real nice stuff too! ;)

10. catside

catside Senior member

2 white Hilditch and Key bespoke French cuff shirts. 17ish neck maybe 33.5 arms. I will see how it fits after they come out of the dryer. 2009 but needed the treatment badly.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

They will go fine. The first bid usually gets the others interested.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

chanins was a high-end men's store in los angeles.

13. catside

catside Senior member

US made JMs are good shoes. Don't worry. Thrifter's rule is if it fits, if it looks good then it's great. Everything else comes later. You are an easy size. Your next shoes will be much flashier brands. Use lots of Lexol shoe conditioner first. Then regularly use shoe cream. Do not forget to put shoe trees in.They will look even better.

14. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I love the tweed suit...details? Size?

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

this is great advice. a few weeks ago i bought a pair of dkny wool pleated (PLEATED!!!) trousers. my wife saw the label and said "why'd you get those, i thought you only look for nice stuff, and you only buy flat fronts" but she changed her tune once she saw how good they fit. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.