The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Are you only looking for a top coat or any camel hair coat like a sports coat? What size? I was amazed there were no moth holes in this one.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. grendel

grendel Senior member

I find that camel hair coats are either like new or worthless... The edges of the cuffs and collar are a good place to look and the fabric is usually worn down to the underlying threads with no nap to it. They seem to wear out quickly, I guess.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1, I wonder why. It somtimes seems that they aren't woven tight enough to hold the hair or something.

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

My MIL found a MontBlanc pen for me once... of all the brands I've mentioned in passing to her or told her to look out for, THAT'S the one she finds :lol: Unfortunately, they had it priced at $75 so I told her to leave it.

Around here, I dream of finding a nice bag or pen or other accessory stuff... doesn't happen. Shoot, I've been looking for a black leather (or pleather) portfolio for a solid YEAR now and haven't found one. My only requirement is that it have no logos... apparently that's being too picky, because almost every other thrift I go to has something that would work... if not for the logo!

Anyway, last night's finds, out of just two stores...

Store 1: (a relatively regular producer that's been on a dry streak)
    Never seen this Canali label before, anyone have any idea how old they are as to recent/old? They're either unworn or were only drycleaned once - no way these were washed, they're too neat inside. They're also already taken. ;)
    [​IMG]

Store 2: (used to be good, but dried up for months)
    What kills me about this is, half this stuff was tagged the color for *last week* so who knows what I missed. :brick:

Ebay fodder, including a pllllllain but recent RG:
    [​IMG]

Moving on to... a Borrelli. And then another. And another. :slayer: All made for Wilkes Bashford. Also found this Mercer & Sons, which I've never seen before but is highly regarded by Trads. The two slightly darker Borrellis both have monograms on the chest... ugh. Not sure if I want to risk taking them out on a shirt like a Borrelli. They're all size 17... which is close enough to my size I may keep them, but I would definitely consider letting one of the two on the left go, since I'm not sure if I want two *identical* shirts. Happy to go from two lifetime thrifted Borrellis to five... four of which fit me, possibly my best batting average on any item as far as fitting.

[​IMG]

Now, I had already checked shoes, ties, suits and pants and found nothing... did see an OLD Zegna for NM jacket (unvented) that I left behind, but in hindsight that must have been from the same guy. Decided I'd better check the rest of mens... which led to two Zegna mainline polos, both Made in Italy and nicer than the Zegna Sport and OLD mainline I've seen before.

[​IMG]

Finally went to sweaters and had some real annoyance... went through a bazillion sweaters and ended up only getting this one, a Fred Hayworth Beverly Hills store brand made in Italy, 100% cashmere. The first Borrelli I ever found locally was for Hayworth, which is the only reason I knew to look closer at it - glad I did. Keeping, I think - does it look too dated?

[​IMG]

Left behind as too expensive/not worthwhile, may be able to proxy if anyone's interested. The sweaters were all $13-$15... which is part of why this store has a bazillion sweaters. :brick:
    Canali yellow shirt (old grey/grey label) $10, tagged L
    J. Crew red cashmere sweater L or XL
    Iceberg History bugs bunny football sweater, made in Italy obviously high quality... seems to be hit or miss on the bay, it was REALLY cool though, XL
    Lyle & Scott cashmere sweater, white or cream, L or XL
    Wilkes Bashford house brand made in Italy cream or white linen & cotton cable knit sweater, XL, no market for this I don't think... shame since it's a nice piece, I just can't pull that off!

Tl; dr: some rich dude from California moved here and donated random stuff? :colgate:

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I'm only looking for an Oxxford top coat in camel hair. :devil:

Also, vicuna - but I might have to sell a kidney...

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That's a tall order, I will keep my eyes peeled.

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Will...set one of the Borrelli's aside for me. I'd also take the Mercer & Sons off you hands should you decide to part ways. I'll be up your way next week.

8. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

I love and hate this thread all at the same time.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Waaaaay in the opposite direction that this thread usually goes, I picked up a pair of Chinese knockoffs of the RayBan Clubman style sunglasses today for $1.50. I like trying the cheap stuff to see if I can really live with the style before I drop real money on a pair. Let me know if ya'll are just dying to see a pic.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Good finds there W. I was tempted to go for one of those Borrelli's but since I am between 17.5 - 18, JKidd will have a smooth passage in which to clean these off you :)

11. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

After tons of Croft & Barrow, Hathaway, Stafford, etc, found a couple of shirts with brands I did not recognize. Luckily smartphones can take pictures as well as look up brands. I didn't kop these but the brands were different:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And this really nice dark navy long sleeve 100% silk XL shirt with a double collar that buttons down:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

These were all XL and are too big for me.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

If the "6" in the corner is a size, that certainly makes sense.

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

:slayer: It's great to have built in trading partners. It's nice to have two guys to work with when the stuff is a tad large for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.