• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1164332/width/350/height/263http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1164328/width/350/height/263http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1164318/width/350/height/263
Here's the Ike Behar tie I mentioned earlier. The lady of the house says it has a hint of green to it. In any case, it has a pretty thick lining, and I am fairly sure it has some wool-cashmere blend (no tag, so I can't be sure). File it under keep. Not the best tie find on the planet, but the construction is very solid. Highly recommend picking them up if you see one.
Pics below the fold

Got one last week....forgot to post it.

Last edited:

mrlongjohn

Reaction score
Hey guys - first post here. I enjoy coming in this thread and seeing some of the unique things people have found. I admit I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys about clothing, brands, etc but it's great to read, look and learn. Anyway, I found this jacket a few weeks back and it fits like a glove. I've already worn it a few times. But I've never seen this label before; never even heard of it. Are any of you able to clue me in or know anything about it? Thanks! I can upload more pics when I get a chance if it'd be helpful.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found recently. too small for me, let me know if you have anything to trade (trades only, i don't want your money).
Polo blue label wool flannel pants in a brownish herringbone. made in italy. excellent condition, i can't see any wear.
tagged 34.
double forward pleats, cuffed at the bottom.
color in the first pic is most accurate.
measurements:

• waist: 34
  • inseam: 29.25 (there's about an inch of extra material not counting the cuffs)
  • outseam: 40.5

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Canali Tag - Thanks, Klobber. Did you know that based on the wear on the suit and the label and your familiarity with the brand? Or was there something in those magic numbers that could point you in the right direction?

Today's finds:

Lubiam navy cashmere blazer. Single button, unvented, about a size 40.

Anyone have any info on "Chanins?" Is it a department store of some sort? Google was not much help.

What about the below brand of pants? Again, no help from Google. Gray flannel wool, flat front, made in Italy:

About a 36/32 if anyone's interested.

Found my first Isaia, a charcoal coat. Spent an hour looking for the pants, couldn't find anything, then noticed the 1.5" tear and moth holes near the neck. Fun!

Plus some delicious shirts (all up for grabs, with the possible exception of the APC):

First APC anything (blue gingham, super soft, XL)

First Arnys of Paris anything (cool green/brown plaid, XL)

First Barba Napoli anything (classic blue & white stripe)

First Loro Piana branded anything (brown & blue stripes)

Plus this Brioni (blue striped)

All non-XLs are 16.5 or 17s and are a bit slim fitting. Not sure if that is due to the original cut of the shirt, or the dead man's tailoring.

Also picked up a BB made in the USA lightweight gray shirt and a vintage LL Bean flannel gingham shirt for me. Huzzah!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That suit fits me and it is a problem because I want it, but am stretched in terms of trades/purchases. I hope TheWGP comes steamrolling in and takes it if you are flipping it. Otherwise, I will be in for it.
CottonDockers - it is recent, last 10 years certainly, possibly 5 or less years old.

LOL thanks for the thought, but I think it's more jkidd's size than my size, unfortunately!

Had one of those epic-for-Columbus-pretty-decent-day-anywhere-else days today... pics and deets shortly. ;)

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found recently: very recent Hickey Freeman mainline blue blazer (not an orphan) in 46R. has a small tear in the lining near the top of the buttcrack, but otherwise it's super nice and fits me pretty well. :slayer:
also, it looks shiny in the first pic because of the flash, it's not shiny in real life!

Last edited:

datsunfan

Reaction score
Found this interesting 3/2 with patch pockets jacket today. It's "An Original Louart Creation from California" for a local men's store that isn't around anymore. The Union tags date it to the 60's. The fabric has a flannel feel to it, but I have no idea of the composition. There is a tag that says the fabric was woven in Italy. I think the buttons are bakelite.

IMG_6342-1.jpg

IMG_6345-1.jpg

tags

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no clue on aging the label....would love to hear comments on that. I have been searching the entire forum for hints on that, but, damn there's a lot of info on here.

Do you mean the Canali tag or the fabric tag? The Canali tag goes black label Canali Milano to black label Canali to blue label Canali, which I think you still see (I think there's a label with a box around it, maybe that's the Exclusive line?) The Canali Proposta has two versions - the older one is smaller and has very dated type and so on, the new one has "proposta" in a slash-looking font printed in red. Proposta is generally regarded as mainline Canali standards but with a more fashion-forward cut, etc - it's been discontinued anyway.

I happen to think that Canali is underrated - I have a couple of sweaters, quite a few sport shirts, and a couple of suits/sc's and quite enjoy them all. Sure, it's not Isaia or Oxxford or whatever, but it sure is better than most.. particularly with more recent stuff, though I don't think the quality difference between older Canali and newer is as pronounced as between older and newer Zegna (which feels like almost a whole another company).

edit: the pics and report from tonight will have to wait... got them taken but have to get to bed, didn't realize how late it was!

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah, there's no way I could pull that thing off, but for the right person that looks absolutely bad ass. I imagine it mus be an SC, no? (if it's a suit, I'd love to see who/how someone could pull of the pants with it).

Found this interesting 3/2 with patch pockets jacket today. It's "An Original Louart Creation from California" for a local men's store that isn't around anymore. The Union tags date it to the 60's. The fabric has a flannel feel to it, but I have no idea of the composition. There is a tag that says the fabric was woven in Italy. I think the buttons are bakelite.
IMG_6342-1.jpg

IMG_6345-1.jpg

tags

Last edited:

datsunfan

Reaction score

Woah, there's no way I could pull that thing off, but for the right person that looks absolutely bad ass.  I imagine it mus be an SC, no?  (if it's a suit, I'd love to see who/how someone could pull of the pants with it).  

My guess is that it is a SC. I got to store 10 minutes before close so I didn't have time to look around much. It's even more woah in person because of the texture of the fabric. It's got a furry quality to it. I can't figure out if the fabric is something naturally occurring or man made. It has what looks like a couple of moth holes so I'm thinking it must at least a wool blend.

It fits me well, but I don't think I can pull it off either.

IMG_6347-1.jpg

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
=( Does no one know anything about the John Cooper Savile Row Suit? I really thought this was my first "good" find! I guess not if no one has ever heard of it.... =(

Also, did anyone know anything about that Orpheus coat?

My other finds today (I'm learning... I won't post pictures since these aren't clog up the thread worthy):

Bought:
NWOT White Aquascutum Shirt 15.5/39.
Fairly new Burnished Java Lizard Trafalgar belt, 34.

Passed:
Two Harris Tweeds (already have one, need to work on flipping so I can make up for losses)
GANT Linen Shirt (Itchy fabric)
CdG White shirt (stain)
Pretty new Dries van Noten Black Boots (Scuff)
Bally wingtips (Scuff)
3 PRL SCs

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads