The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Day of firsts for me.

Shirts:

First APC anything (blue gingham, super soft flannel, XL)

[​IMG]

First Arny's of Paris (cool brown/green plaid, XL)

[​IMG]

First Barba Napoli (classic white & blue stripe, 42/16.5)

[​IMG]

First Loro Piana branded shirt (brown/blue stripe, 41/16)

[​IMG]

Plus a nice blue striped Brioni (42/16.5)

[​IMG]

All shirts are in excellent condition and have super thick MOP buttons.

(Also picked up a super lightweight Grey BB (made in the USA) and an LL Bean flannel in gingham for myself (not pictured))

Found this Lubiam navy blazer: Cashmere, single button, jetted/bosom pockets, unvented. About a size 40.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I believe Lubiam is the parent of Lubiam 1911, correct? Any idea what "Chanins" is? Google didn't turn up much.

On the downside, found an Isaia charcoal coat, spent an hour looking for the pants (men's, women's, furniture's) but found nothing, only tor realize the jacket had a 1.5' tear in the back and some moth holes on the collar. So I guess that is another first - my first super-high end piece of clothing I had to put back because of wear.

Everything listed (with the possible exception of the APC) is up for sale/trade if anyone is interested. One note - the shirts, other than Arny's, tend to fit a bit slimmer . Not sure if that is the shirt's cut, or a dead guy's tailoring.

2. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I might have said this before, but there is a significant difference (IME) between Zanella and Zanella Platinum. [​IMG]

I'd love to run across a pair of those, flat front, in my size. Unfortunately D.B. Cooper is right that Zanella loves some pleats.

3. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

4. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

First of all, thanks to tonylamer for putting into kinder gentler terms what I've been trying to think of a nice way to post.

As for Brianpore's points, I agree that flippers/wearers isn't my first choice, but what I'd like to see reduced is the fact that the thread has started to turn into an ebay seller support thread. I actually think that would be a good idea for a thread (wouldn't read it myself though, couldn't help too much with pricing), but this thread has gotten a bit tedious to read. I like coming here to find the awesome stuff and the gems people couldn't leave behind. Really though, I liked the thread better when 3/4 of each page was that. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I was holding on to this until my feedback got into double digits.

44R and Unvented! Probably not remotely workable for you but it's a chance for me to post it again after finding it last year. Somewhere, there's a baller who can totally rock this.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Needs a small repair
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

If that was a tad smaller and I hadn't already satisfied my Oxxford craving for the week I'd be all over that beast. Gorgeous.

7. Cotton Dockers

Found this Lubiam navy blazer: Cashmere, single button, jetted/bosom pockets, unvented. About a size 40.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I believe Lubiam is the parent of Lubiam 1911, correct? Any idea what "Chanins" is? Google didn't turn up much.

On the downside, found an Isaia charcoal coat, spent an hour looking for the pants (men's, women's, furniture's) but found nothing, only tor realize the jacket had a 1.5' tear in the back and some moth holes on the collar.

8. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Dig...I should have mentioned suit...but that coat is sweet. My fat gut wouldn't fit into it though LOL. All jokes aside...it's as much my shoulders as my gut.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'll chime in on the whole flippers/wearing/posting thing.

This thread was the reason I joined SF and I've been on here for awhile. I remember when Vman and Pejsek ruled the thread with their amazing finds. There was some undesirable stuff posted but I'd say a good 80% of the stuff posted were great, solid finds. That's about all it was, though. I guess that was the intent of the thread, but I kind of like it now. Sure there are a lot more posts, but I think the conversation gives it a bit more of a tight-knit community feeling. Also going a bit off the grid with non-clothing finds is cool too. I love learning about other people's hobbies and chiming in when someone needs advice about something I'm really into. I was pretty surprised there are some guys on here who are into vinyl and even into vintage backpacking gear like I am.

I do wish people were more selective on what they'd post. Brooks Brothers shirts are great. But nobody is going to "Oooh" and "Aaah" over them. It's just thread clutter.I find a lot of great basics that I never post because it simply isn't worth posting.

The whole advertising eBay auctions and asking flipability is getting old though. Another is seeing the "Christian Dior Monsieur" and licensed Lanvin crap with gigantic pictures. I just wish people would do some research before posting. If they'd read, they'd find out it's licensed and isn't worth the $5 they paid at the thrift store.

I know some ask for flipability value for eBay, but I know some who are just asking for a value to see if it's worth going back for to sell on here. I'm all for the guy who left behind the Attolini shirt finding out it's worth grabbing and goes back to sell it on here and make it available to us. Sure this can be solved by just reading up on the thread and getting to know the grail labels, but there's a lot of scarce labels out there which aren't mentioned much. To be honest, it makes me cringe when I see someone left a cheaply priced, mint Isaia suit behind because it wasn't his size. Letting him know it's worth an easy $100 will give him the ambition to go back and grab it to which he'd sell it on here and make someone very happy.

Can't stand people flashing their giant eBay ads on here. If I pick up something I know someone will like, I'll simply type "available" after describing it. Works great and doesn't aggravate people.

10. dongale

dongale Active Member

Well, there was a finger sized hole already, and i took out another stitch or two and peaked in. Didn't create a new hole. For better or for worse, that's what happened.

11. Cotton Dockers

Picked up this Lubiam cashmere navy blazer. Single button, jetted pockets, unvented.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lubiam is the parent of Lubiam 1911, correct? Any idea what "Chanins" is? Google wasn't much help.

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Flippers Thread

NO NO NO NO NO NO

DEFINITELY NO

Not a fan of this idea at all. That thread would be a magnet for everyone and his dog to try and flip his stuff, whether he got it off or eBay, a thrift store, discount store etc. I am here as a hobbiest in any case, and I am sure most of us are. If we make a flipping thread which evolves into a selling buying thread, it will likely be irritating for the Mods who want some kind of classified B&S section. A flipping thread would probably not go as anticipated and all of us would end up back here wheeling and dealing (either habitually or because other thread attracts merchants trying to flip their non thrifted wares). Nothing wrong with this format, only slight issue is if you are away longer than a day or two, there is some catching up. It is a small price to pay.

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

OK let's get this thread back on track. Pic onslaught in 3, 2, 1...

Super heavy, mint condition Aquascutum tweed suit. Check out the funky pleats down the side of the pants, even has hand stitching lining all the pocket flaps.... super well made.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These need some TLC.. Peep the channeled sole.... I think? Unless these were just rapid stitched or whatever but that'd be weird.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funky mint condition gucci loafers, these are old
    [​IMG]

Bunch of black monkstraps... need some TLC, but 2x ferragamo, 1x church's custom grade, and 1x unknown maker for Carrol & Co
    [​IMG]

14. Cotton Dockers

Found this navy Lubiam cashmere blazer. Single button, besom pockets, unvented.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Any idea what "Chanins" is? A department store of some kind? Google wasn't much help.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ That Aquascutum suit is killer ! :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.