• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
I'll always pick up flat-front Zanella trousers. Unfortunately, those are slim pickings among the multi-pleated versions out there.

tonylamer

Reaction score
I think it's time to branch this thread into a flipper's thread and a wearer's thread. Nothing at all against guys trying to make a few dollars flipping stuff, but the best thing about this thread is that it used to be restricted to amazing stuff that you'd wear--like the Kiton tie someone posted today--or amazing stuff that you couldn't wear and had to sell--like a Belvest suit that's four sizes too big. Now it's kind of become a forum to discuss profit margins on BB shirts. And the old NWOT language that everyone hated has just exploded.

Everyone's entitled to a period of figuring out what finds to post and not to post, but that's really stuff earmarked for personal consumption. Maybe it's just me, but I remember when posters used to lose it when guys used this thread to hype their online auctions.

If you're looking for direction, check out Digmenow's posts: the guy buys cool stuff that he actually wears, and posts the pics on this thread. Mainy's good, too. The guy's a pro., but he knows what to post, and he doesn't push his wares.

It's also a kind of collateral purpose of this thread to stop you newer guys from buying triple-pleated Zanellas circa-'83 IF you're not going to wear them.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made in China no longer should carry with it the weight of dissapointment. The country does not matter, it ultimately goes "to which standard is it manufactured". China is absolutely capable of manufacturing to any standard, be it Walmart/Target standard all the way to Tom Ford standard (I believe Tom Ford has some made in China suits, full canvased, all bells and whistles etc...). They also have silks and cashmeres that are comparable in quality to any European / American fabrics.

It certainly should if it is still an exorbitant price...

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've been heard loud and clear about the ebay thing. But what about the finds that I can't help passing up, but think someone on here might want? I'm slowly learning what is and what is not worth it and from now on will only post if I have genuine questions (I still have a ton) or think I have something somebody might want, or find something that I'll be wearing myself (like those florsheim imperials, which I realize aren't that amazing, but I was pretty psyched about).

I apologize.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty good couple of days for me. Picked up this NWT Zanella SC, color black, half canvassed. (who donates this stuff!?) Unfortunately, it is a 40S. I'd be interested in a trade for an italian made suit 41R or 42R with no shoulder padding or minimal padding.

First off, I never knew Zanella was quality. I've seen a couple of pieces around here. I really need to learn even more Italian designers. Sometimes I can tell by feel, but there are so many Made in Italy things around here I try to be discerning.
Also, I've got the two 16.5/42 T&A's still available. I'll be returning them Friday if no one else is interested, and thanks for everyone who showed interest/bought the others, hope you enjoy them. Also would be willing to trade these for some shoes. Let me know.

My guess on the Zanella is that was probably dead stock from a men's store and they were tired of looking at it. I cannot vouch for sport coats (but I assume it's the same) but they discontinued their suit production around 2008/2009. I have a Zanella suit that I purchased at my local store in 2009 that was IIRC 75% off. It was the last one they had. They told me at the time ZAnella decided to just focus on pants because it's what they were successful with. I believe if a business donates new items, they can claim original retail as a tax deduction. That's why you'll see new stuff from Target, Macy's Dillard's etc at the thrifts because I'm sure they know what price to drop stuff to until they are better served to donate it.

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've been heard loud and clear about the ebay thing. But what about the finds that I can't help passing up, but think someone on here might want? I'm slowly learning what is and what is not worth it and from now on will only post if I have genuine questions (I still have a ton) or think I have something somebody might want, or find something that I'll be wearing myself (like those florsheim imperials, which I realize aren't that amazing, but I was pretty psyched about).

I apologize.  

Post it in the B&S. Plus I see more guys posting their wants in their signature. If you come across that...PM them.

Need to add my 46 Oxxford suit in fact :)

Pawz

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day of firsts for me.

Shirts:

First APC anything (blue gingham, super soft flannel, XL)

First Arny's of Paris (cool brown/green plaid, XL)

First Barba Napoli (classic white & blue stripe, 42/16.5)

First Loro Piana branded shirt (brown/blue stripe, 41/16)

Plus a nice blue striped Brioni (42/16.5)

All shirts are in excellent condition and have super thick MOP buttons.

(Also picked up a super lightweight Grey BB (made in the USA) and an LL Bean flannel in gingham for myself (not pictured))

Found this Lubiam navy blazer: Cashmere, single button, jetted/bosom pockets, unvented. About a size 40.

I believe Lubiam is the parent of Lubiam 1911, correct? Any idea what "Chanins" is? Google didn't turn up much.

On the downside, found an Isaia charcoal coat, spent an hour looking for the pants (men's, women's, furniture's) but found nothing, only tor realize the jacket had a 1.5' tear in the back and some moth holes on the collar. So I guess that is another first - my first super-high end piece of clothing I had to put back because of wear.

Everything listed (with the possible exception of the APC) is up for sale/trade if anyone is interested. One note - the shirts, other than Arny's, tend to fit a bit slimmer . Not sure if that is the shirt's cut, or a dead guy's tailoring.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's time to branch this thread into a flipper's thread and a wearer's thread. Nothing at all against guys trying to make a few dollars flipping stuff, but the best thing about this thread is that it used to be restricted to amazing stuff that you'd wear--like the Kiton tie someone posted today--or amazing stuff that you couldn't wear and had to sell--like a Belvest suit that's four sizes too big. Now it's kind of become a forum to discuss profit margins on BB shirts. And the old NWOT language that everyone hated has just exploded.

Everyone's entitled to a period of figuring out what finds to post and not to post, but that's really stuff earmarked for personal consumption. Maybe it's just me, but I remember when posters used to lose it when guys used this thread to hype their online auctions.

If you're looking for direction, check out Digmenow's posts: the guy buys cool stuff that he actually wears, and posts the pics on this thread. Mainy's good, too. The guy's a pro., but he knows what to post, and he doesn't push his wares.

It's also a kind of collateral purpose of this thread to stop you newer guys from buying triple-pleated Zanellas circa-'83 IF you're not going to wear them.

I am quoting because it is worth repeating.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

Everyone's entitled to a period of figuring out what finds to post and not to post, but that's really stuff earmarked for personal consumption. Maybe it's just me, but I remember when posters used to lose it when guys used this thread to hype their online auctions.

+1

TDP

Reaction score
Found a beautiful Hackett SC in olive with loud red overcheck in 38R with working cuffs and hacking pockets! This is quite easily the most beautiful thing I've ever found, and is available since it doesn't quite fit me in the sleeves. Here are some photographs:

For more details, please consulting my B&S advertisement, If you mention the thrifting thread, I will accept a much lower offer—should you want to make me one—than if you don't ;).

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day of firsts for me.

Shirts:

First APC anything (blue gingham, super soft flannel, XL)

First Arny's of Paris (cool brown/green plaid, XL)

First Barba Napoli (classic white & blue stripe, 42/16.5)

First Loro Piana branded shirt (brown/blue stripe, 41/16)

Plus a nice blue striped Brioni (42/16.5)

All shirts are in excellent condition and have super thick MOP buttons.

(Also picked up a super lightweight Grey BB (made in the USA) and an LL Bean flannel in gingham for myself (not pictured))

Found this Lubiam navy blazer: Cashmere, single button, jetted/bosom pockets, unvented. About a size 40.

I believe Lubiam is the parent of Lubiam 1911, correct? Any idea what "Chanins" is? Google didn't turn up much.

On the downside, found an Isaia charcoal coat, spent an hour looking for the pants (men's, women's, furniture's) but found nothing, only tor realize the jacket had a 1.5' tear in the back and some moth holes on the collar. So I guess that is another first - my first super-high end piece of clothing I had to put back because of wear.

Everything listed (with the possible exception of the APC) is up for sale/trade if anyone is interested. One note - the shirts, other than Arny's, tend to fit a bit slimmer . Not sure if that is the shirt's cut, or a dead guy's tailoring.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you want to do, but I had the same issue, and I'm really inexperienced with the pinch test. I just pulled some of the lining stitching away at the bottom and peeked inside. You should be able to see the canvassing pretty clearly if it's there.
You really pulled some of the lining stitching away!? Why would anyone doe that unless you are an very good tailor to resew it? Once you start unding the lining stitching your asking for more problems down the road with the stitching coming undone...

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

Everyone's entitled to a period of figuring out what finds to post and not to post, but that's really stuff earmarked for personal consumption. Maybe it's just me, but I remember when posters used to lose it when guys used this thread to hype their online auctions.

+1

IMO though you don't need a separate thread for flippers/wearers (not that I'm against it), but more so for quality items vs crappy items that newbies buy and think are quality. Being that this is an open thread without mediation, you cant really restrict the content, but ideally it should be more of a "no conversation type thread" with only people posting the quality stuff they thrifted and if you want to comment, use the "thumbs up" button with a comment on the bottom of that post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads